The Morgue 2023

YIKES
Former NHL star Bobby Hull told a Russian newspaper that Nazis were not without merit, that the black population of the United States was growing too fast and that genetic breeding was a worthy idea.
BOBBY HULL TO MOSCOW PAPER: HITLER HAD SOME GOOD IDEAS – Chicago Tribune

Although spot on in :canada:

The former Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets star also said the Canadian government was too left-wing and was giving welfare payments to people who don’t deserve them, the Moscow Times reported Tuesday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-05/former-pakistan-president-musharraf-has-died-geo-news-says

1 Like

I’ll always associate that guy with those crazy months after 9/11. Don’t know what kind of leader he was, but he had a killer ‘stache, I’ll give him that.

1 Like

The founder of Fo Guang Shan died at 97 yesterday:

2 Likes

During the second World Buddhist Forum in Wuxi, Jiangsu province, in 2009, Hsing Yun said that “all Taiwan people are Chinese”.

Meanwhile, many people who are dedicated to promoting peaceful cross-Straits development and stand against “Taiwan independence” in Taiwan are followers of Hsing Yun, Zhu said.

Nonetheless, RIP, as he was a peaceful man. Have been to the monastery a few times. It has the history of Hsing Yun’s life, which is quite interesting.

If you are counting on hockey players for political insights . . . and if you are relying on the Russian Press for accuracy (yes I am aware this story is from the 1990s), then . . . I have some oceanfront property in Winnipeg for sale, special price, just for you! :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Annexationist monk, a man not without controversy—as you know.

Guy

1 Like

What? :laughing:

You think the papers got it wrong?

1 Like

I think it’s an error to expect (ex-)hockey players to have any sort of coherent political philosophy.

Guy

1 Like

Trust hockey players more than uni profs or kindy teachers…just not HULL

5 Likes

Let’s not forget his contribution, however small, to the meaning of life!

3 Likes

Great restaurant

23 years ago today we lost Maude Flanders

2 Likes

Every so often I realize that I’ve never seen an ever-larger majority of the episodes of one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

3 Likes

another football legend from my youth. “eye gouging”… those were the good ole days.

1 Like

The Taipei Times editorial page has published a surprisingly even-handed take on Hsing Yun and his legacy.

Guy

Raquel Welch (what a catchy name) sadly gone at 82.

6 Likes