The Multicultural Myth and why Western Culture is Best

Taiwan was filled with garbage long before that CJ fellow came around.

@Jack2 perhaps just has a problem with that CJ fellow and is taking it out on this thread.

Says a _____(whatever gender u prefer) no in Taiwan.

By the way, u had your enlightenment, do come up with better arguments.

1 Like

you’ve got a point on some of the core aspects of Western culture, but you write this missive at a time when the life that I know in the West (USA) is in steep free-fall and those keystone tenets you mention crumbling.
For now, I’m content to live in a place where I most likely won’t be murdered or subjected to the ensuing fear and violence stemming from the absence of any social safety net.
I wonder where you live that these finer points of life in the West still bring solace. ?

2 Likes

It’s good to get these things out of your system.

and breathe

Agree that the Western democracies underpinned by balance of powers and strong human rights are superior to pretty much everything else that’s out there.

What’s probably the biggest forte is that Western democracies can change over time generally without very damaging revolutions and rebellions.
Learnt those lessons the hard way in Europe though.
It could be that western democracies are simply far ahead on the curve.

China is certainly a VERY strong argument on the vital need to preserve our hard fought for democracies and their respect for human rights! I include Taiwan in that as well as Taiwan does have a highly functional and stable democracy.

Not enough people supporting extreme points of view, we need some ethnostatist to show up and move the thread in the right direction.

The best culture is the kind that’s capable of self-examination and soul searching, and have enough people speaking out about what needs to be changed, why things need to change, and remain logical and respectful while doing so.

In the end, such superior cultures will choose a way to do things because it is the right thing to do, not because it’s how things have always been done.

2 Likes

is it so difficult to see the good and bad sides of different cultures? why does one have to the best culture?

I agree with the best culture being capable of self-examination and soul searching.
I can’t say I agree with OP but I think in Western culture, people have the advantage of being able to always criticize and question things. Here in Taiwan, criticizing culture is almost like a taboo (it’s same in Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia too). It’s the same with criticizing your parents or your seniors, it’s just not proper.

One can actually argue that true Han/Confucian culture encourages people to speak truth to power, and people who do are often praised in the history books.

However, there’s a huge penalty attached to speaking the truth in Han culture. People who make the seemingly wrong criticism are punished severely. It’s actually the courage to do so despite the danger that gets praised. So usually historical figures that get praised for speaking truth to power often met terrible ends.

In that kind of an environment, it isn’t hard to imagine that most people wouldn’t do it, and don’t do it casually.

In Tang and Song dynasties, scholars are highly respected and don’t get killed outright as they do in Ming or Qing dynasties. You would find people more willing to criticize the government back then.

In the end, I think it’s all about social mobility. If there is high social mobility, people are more willing to speak truth to power. If people are generally powerless with nowhere to go if they piss off those in charge, then they are less likely to do so.

4 Likes

Who all are we including in “Western Culture”? Russians? American blacks?

2 Likes

One recent advance in culture that is almost exclusively western is the gay rights movement. Certainly there were other places in the world that afforded more freedom or respect to the LGBTQ but I doubt that any of those cultures have taken the extra step to allow those people to marry.

When one questions why western countries are so progressive the answer is very interesting: development of science, loss of religion, human rights, freedom of speech, etc
 All of these things worked together to create an environment where a large group of people no longer hold a massive, life changing burden that they must hide. This seems to be the one of the best arguments for western thought if not western culture.

1 Like

Isn’t it ironic that Taiwan is one of those cultures that has taken the extra step to allow those ppl to marry?

And why hasn’t this topic been closed?

It’s all goes back to the Renaissance and the city states as far as I can tell.

Lols this guy so bad at trolling, get gid son

There was some potential for butthurt, but it got wasted.

Feelsbadman.