The narratives about Trump thread

Seems unfair not to give proper attribution for my last few remarks about wrestling. So here you go, a Ted talk I think is well worth watching right till the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RCT6Li4UQ

1 Like

That’s a pretty interesting TED Talk. One of the many reasons I stopped using social media was because I always felt like I was fighting for control of my emotions. It was a burden, and I don’t need that. A similar, rage-inducing model has now taken over many news organizations, unfortunately.

Lincoln loved to show off his strength. There are stories about him betting spectators how long he could hold a pine log by his fingertips and with his arm fully stretched out, horizontally, before finally dropping it. He loved to show off that way, and stories say he made a lot of money doing it. It’s really not wise to judge a book by its cover.

Juicy Smolét*

This could go here, in the funny political image thread, in the slippery slope thread
 Maybe even in the typhoon thread.

Majestic beyond comprehension.

2 Likes

Good to see a couple of Republicans standing up for political oversight and rationality, but disappointing (not surprising) that the great majority continue to be craven sycophants.

“I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress,” Paul said at a GOP dinner Saturday night at Western Kentucky University, according to the Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News.
“We may want more money for border security, but Congress didn’t authorize it. If we take away those checks and balances, it’s a dangerous thing.”

I quite like Rand Paul, overall he has been quite supportive of Trump, if he is voting this down it would make me think he is doing so out of principle rather than a deep seated hatred of the President.

1 Like

Yeah. I also like rand and his father. They stick to their principles and I respect that.

I prefer Doom Paul Senior, but even Junior is a good guy.

Though I don’t see the point in trying to delay the inevitable Trump’s Enabling Act. Maybe they’re playing a role? That would be 5D underwater strip curling

1 Like

I hear they’re going to make this an official sport in the next Olympics. They say it puts trans women and vag women on a more equal footing.

Hopefully will turn out to be more than a couple, but I agree: it’s good news. Trump would exceed the Executive’s Constitutional powers if Congress doesn’t block his declaration of a national emergency. More Republicans need to find their spines, especially in the House.

Paul joins fellow Republican Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Thom Tillis (N.C.) in opposing Trump’s move, a reflection of some resistance within the GOP to what lawmakers see as executive overreach and a test of the constitutional separation of powers.

Numerous other GOP senators have also expressed reservations about Trump’s move, among them are Sens. Ted Cruz (Tex.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.), leading to widespread expectations that the resolution will easily pass the Senate. [Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, too]

Trump has said he would veto the legislation, and the vote margin in the House last week — 245 to 182 — was well short of the two-thirds majority that would be required to override his veto.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republican-sen-rand-paul-says-he-will-vote-for-measure-blocking-trumps-emergency-declaration-paving-way-for-passage/2019/03/03/d5c8a2ba-3ddb-11e9-a0d3-1210e58a94cf_story.html?utm_term=.507e602934fe

1 Like

A fascinating interview about one man’s political awakening (Brandon Straka of the #WalkAway movement).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9DI0BOSykA

2 Likes

Really?

Trump tweets a response.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1103446552524345346?s=19

1 Like

the entertainment will be Trump’s live twitter commentary during Dems’ debates.

It’s amazing that they don’t realize that they have literally been trying to de-legitimize the 2016 election since the moment they realized that Trump somehow won.

4 Likes

CNN isn’t big on self-reflection.

3 Likes

more likely to be someone rubber-necking, I would think.

Ever since the Steele dossier was published by Buzzfeed, 4Chan has been crowing that the more salacious part, Trumps pee pee story was a shitpost on 4Chan. I never thought Steele would have been that stupid, until I saw his testimony just released a couple of days ago.

In his testimony he admits getting details for his dossier from CNN iReport, a site that allows for users to submit their own content and has the following disclaimer. “iReport.com is a user-generated site. That means the stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked, or screened before they post.”

“Do you understand that they have no connection to any CNN reporters?”
Steele replied, “I do not.”
“Do you understand that CNN iReports are or were nothing more than any random individuals’ assertions on the Internet?”
Steele replied: “No, I obviously presume that if it is on a CNN site that it may has some kind of CNN status. Albeit that it may be an independent person posting on the site."

As if putting CNN actual reporters comments in an intelligence report would have been much better.

2 Likes

Yeah well, ‘blabber mouth’ Barbie is still defending him, her mouth forms words not generated by her brain, just blabbering about. Flooding everything with noise.

Well, CNN was at the front of the “Sdrumpf didn’t condemn the neo nazis in Whateverville!!1”, which he actually very clearly did if you read the whole transcript
but if you just so happen to limit your reporting to his first sentence, you get a nice click baity narrative that can go on for years. So it’s not like I’d trust their fact checking anyway.

To this day there are still people who didn’t read/listen to the whole thing and think that he said that neo nazis are very fine people, and outlets like Cnn & Co are those to blame.

3 Likes