The narratives about Trump thread

I certainly wouldn’t agree with everything there, and the author’s writing skills leave much to be desired, but site is extremely educational. If you’re at all interested in American politics, I’d say it’s required reading.

it’s horrible writing… wouldn’t read it if it were in my echo chamber

The quality of the writing is bad, but the insights are priceless. Which would you say is more important? At the very least, you should be reading Scott Adams’ blog.

All those people who continue to be baffled by the Trump phenomenon are getting their information from the wrong sources (the mainstream media). It’s as simple as that.

2 Likes

“When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind.”
OTOH, I never thought I’d agree with Donald Trump about Steve Bannon.

2 Likes

Scott Adams is interesting, his love for Trump surprising.

The more you read reliable sources, the less surprising you’ll find it.

1 Like

I have no doubt the same thing works in reverse. We all know about dihydrogen monoxide (or we should).

Beyond the obvious (why stop when you can keep going), has he gotten Jared’s relatives out of jail?

I agree that Adams is both funny and interesting. However…

Trump will never win the GOP nomination.

Fair. (I mean lots of people did predict that, and it objectively turned out to be false.)

Trump will never win the presidency.

Fair.

Stocks will drop if Trump is elected.

I’m sure some stocks did. But no, there was no huge crash, so fair.

President Trump will deport ten million illegal immigrants.

Don’t count your chickens before you’re even 25% of the way to the hatching deadline.

Trump will be gone (impeached, jailed, or quit) by end of 2017.

Fair.

Trump’s immigration ban on several Muslim countries will be found unconstitutional.

The short answer is that it was found unconstitutional. The long answer is complicated, and we haven’t heard the end of it.

Trump colluded with Russia, and that’s a crime.

Still being investigated.

Trump obstructed justice (a crime) by firing Comey.

Has that been definitively settled?

Trump’s skills as a “con man” might get him elected but it won’t transfer into doing the job of president.

That’s a bit subjective, but basically fair.

Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel will cause huge problems.

Short term, yes. Long term, we don’t know. Define huge.

Trump’s tweeting will cause huge problems.

Again, define huge. And again, it’s barely 2018.

GOP will never embrace Trump.

Embrace with one hand while preparing to stab with the other is what it looks like.

Trump will get nothing important done.

Define important. Define get done (by himself rather than by Congress).

Trump will not work effectively with leaders of other countries.

If doing awkward press conferences counts as working effectively, then it’s fair. I still question how much he’s actually doing himself.

GOP senators will vote against GOP priorities because of President Trump’s mean tweets.

Sounds fair.

Trump will not nominate qualified judges to the Supreme Court.

“Qualified” in the formal sense? Who was actually saying that?

Trump is incompetent.

How is that a prediction?

Presidential approval polls are a good predictor of how a president will perform.

“Perform” in what sense?

The military won’t follow Trump’s orders.

There hasn’t been any major event to test their loyalty yet, has there?

GDP will never stay above 3%.

And again, it’s barely 2018.

I’m not saying all the things that haven’t happened yet will btw, but Adams is clearly not free from bias.

heEmvlx

1 Like

1 Like

The creation of this was just a matter of time…

1 Like

Is this really him writing?

DJT and wife on learning he had actually been elected president.

Shortly after 8 p.m. on Election Night, when the unexpected trend — Trump might actually win — seemed confirmed, Don Jr. told a friend that his father, or DJT, as he calls him, looked as if he had seen a ghost. Melania was in tears — and not of joy.*

screenshot

It reminds me, vaguely, of “George Bush Describes Himself” (or a similar title) by Joe Eszterhas.

1 Like

“Some of my best friends are black!” :innocent: :rainbow: :unicorn:

Fixed that for you.

Is Trump a hard-working president? Perhaps he should watch less TV?

President Trump is starting his official day much later than he did in the early days of his presidency, often around 11am, and holding far fewer meetings, according to copies of his private schedule shown to Axios. This is largely to meet Trump’s demands for more “Executive Time,” which almost always means TV and Twitter time alone in the residence, officials tell us.

The schedules shown to me are different than the sanitized ones released to the media and public.

The schedule says Trump has “Executive Time” in the Oval Office every day from 8am to 11am, but the reality is he spends that time in his residence, watching TV, making phone calls and tweeting.
Trump comes down for his first meeting of the day, which is often an intelligence briefing, at 11am.
That’s far later than George W. Bush, who typically arrived in the Oval by 6:45am.
Obama worked out first thing in the morning and usually got into the Oval between 9 and 10am, according to a former senior aide.
Trump’s days in the Oval Office are relatively short – from around 11am to 6pm, then he’s back to the residence. During that time he usually has a meeting or two, but spends a good deal of time making phone calls and watching cable news in the dining room adjoining the Oval. Then he’s back to the residence for more phone calls and more TV.

Take these random examples from this week’s real schedule:

On Tuesday, Trump has his first meeting of the day with Chief of Staff John Kelly at 11am. He then has “Executive Time” for an hour followed by an hour lunch in the private dining room. Then it’s another 1 hour 15 minutes of “Executive Time” followed by a 45 minute meeting with National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. Then another 15 minutes of “Executive Time” before Trump takes his last meeting of the day — a 3:45pm meeting with the head of Presidential Personnel Johnny DeStefano — before ending his official day at 4:15pm.
Other days are fairly similar, unless the president is traveling, in which case the days run longer. On Wednesday this week, for example, the president meets at 11am for his intelligence briefing, then has “Executive Time” until a 2pm meeting with the Norwegian Prime Minister. His last official duty: a video recording with Hope Hicks at 4pm.
On Thursday, the president has an especially light schedule: “Policy Time” at 11am, then “Executive Time” at 12pm, then lunch for an hour, then more “Executive Time” from 1:30pm.
Trump’s schedule wasn’t always like this. In the earliest days of the Trump administration it began earlier and ended later. Trump would have breakfast meetings (e.g. hosting business leaders in the Roosevelt Room). He didn’t like the longer official schedule and pushed for later starts. The morning intelligence briefing ended up settling around 10:30am.

Aides say Trump is always doing something — he’s a whirl of activity and some aides wish he would sleep more — but his time in the residence is unstructured and undisciplined. He’s calling people, watching TV, tweeting, and generally taking the same loose, improvisational approach to being president that he took to running the Trump Organization for so many years. Old habits die hard.

In response to this article, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote:

“The time in the morning is a mix of residence time and Oval Office time but he always has calls with staff, Hill members, cabinet members and foreign leaders during this time. The President is one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen and puts in long hours and long days nearly every day of the week all year long. It has been noted by reporters many times that they wish he would slow down because they sometimes have trouble keeping up with him.”

https://www.axios.com/scoop-trumps-secret-shrinking-schedule-1515364904-ab76374a-6252-4570-a804-942b3f851840.html