translate.google.com/translate?p … ry_state0=

And Gigabyte has a couple of new models coming soon too
gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Not … uctID=3020
gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Not … uctID=3037
gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Not … uctID=3019

Kensington tries to cash in:

Netcessories for the Netbook

engadget.com/2009/04/08/kens … cessories/

For those of you with some patience (to wait for new products to be released) and a geeky inclination, check out this article about netbook computers based on the ARM processor:

blogs.computerworld.com/apples_t … chitecture

When these come out, they will certainly run Linux, and possibly OSX too. They cannot run Windows XP, but Microsoft has made noises about bringing back Windows CE (anyone remember that?). Microsoft seems to be mulling Windows 7 on an ARM processor, but no final word so far.

A new Windows CE netbook would not be able to run any of your existing Windows XP applications. You would have to replace them all with Windows CE apps, which would likely not be cheap or readily available until the machines were on the market for a few years. All 20,000-plus Linux free applications would most certainly be available in a matter of weeks if these machines find any market at all. As for OSX, I expect that Apple would jump on this if they saw a market opportunity - whatever else you can say about Apple, they’ve always been pretty innovative.

A machine with an ARM processor would have very long battery life, and would require no fan (all current netbooks do have fans, even though they are so tiny you hardly notice them). Fans are a frequent source of trouble in all computers (they suck in dust, eventually overheating the machine).

I dream of an ARM-based netbook, while meanwhile I plod along with my lowly Intel-ATOM based machine.

Anyone interested in the advent of energy frugal ARM chip-powered netbooks might also consider the soon-to-be-released, all-day-battery, choose-your-own-operating-system Touch Book from Always Innovating (although it won’t run XP either):

alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

New Acer Aspire shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 1E&ROWNO=1
A tad expensive though imho

Windows 7, touchscreen netbook, must have. Must wait.

Saw some good deals at 3C this week

Acer Aspire 1 with Windows XP, 160 gig HDD, 10.1 inch screen for 9,900 NT
Lenovo Ideapad S9 with XP, 160 gig HDD, blu tooth, 8.9 inch screen for 9,000 NT
Some Asus EEE variant with the same specs as the ACER above for 9,900
MSI Wind for 10,500

Hmm… decisions decisions…

Shoot I paid nearly 14,000nt for my Eeepc with 10 inch screen and 120giga hdd just a few months ago here in CAlif. So those are great deals.

No cam even.

I read there’s one out by now; it showed at a HK computer show, and is made by a Chinese company using ARM.

downside is (IMO) it uses a 7" screen, seems a little too small.

I still like the HP 2140 or the Samsung NC10 so far, but dont mind waiting.

Anyone using a Dell Inspiron Mini 12? What do you think?

<-- Very interested in the fact you can buy it with XP installed. Just say no to Vista.

Hey made a quick visit to Frys. Shoulda gotten model numbers and all that jazz. But i played around with a buncha Netbook puters and one was a clear favorite. And surprisingly it wasnt the Sony.

Had a Sony 10 incher for 499 next to an Acer thats a 10 incher widescreen (and pretty doggone nice) for only 299 with one giga ram, 160hdd. Played with the HP for 399 and the Lenovo for similar. But Toshiba had two netbooks out there. One for bout 450 but with 250hdd, but the keyboard feel was inferior to its cheaper brother, a 349 machine with 10 inch tft, 160hdd and one giga ram. That machine would be my pick of the bunch today. for 349 and a brilliant keyboard. The feel was just great. Beat everyone else out there !!!

My second pick woulda been the Acer 10incher widescreen (which was a lot nicer then the regular with the smaller keyboard, but more ram , 2giga, for 399 i believe. This 299 jobber woulda done it for me. Has 3 usb, a connection for external monitor and a webcam too (i think, but memory may be foggy, it was hours ago already ) .

Anyway at least the right shift key is in the right place for all of em. My Eeepc sucks the big one for the right shift key being in the wrong spot (they have since corrected this error).

Hey next time i go to Frys i will bring a notebook (a paper one, the original) and take notes on model numbers, exact pricing and specs for you nerds and nerd-wannabees.

Over and out.

google.com/products/catalog? … tech-specs

This is the one for 349 plus tax at Frys. The BEST keyboard iv used on any Netbook iv touched. Period !! The one at Frys comes with a built in camera as well. Its the one I would get from the selection they have there.

Saw a version of this for 299 plus tax

but only 160giga hdd and 1 gigaram instead of 2 as pictured.

crunchgear.com/2009/07/28/cr … k-for-350/

It would be my second choice because its a more useful size. It would be my first choice if it had the great keyboard the toshiba did tho.

pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349045,00.asp

quick review on this puter. And its my choice of the ones I used yesterday . This keyboard is really usable and felt the best BY FAR.

for 349 plus tax and Frys? The best deal there for a netbook.

However, they had a nice 14 incher from MSI there for a hair over 400 and that will likely be what id buy if i wanted a cheap puter. A 14 incher is still all around more useful, plus it has 2giga ram and a dvd rw (if I remember correctly).

But far as netbooks go, Id buy this Toshiba in a heartbeat.

crunchgear.com/2009/07/07/so … ext-month/

They got his Vaio for 499 plus tax. Thats cheap for a Sony and I would go for this except that the keyboard is not as nice as the one on the Toshiba. Otherwise a 150 dollar bump for a Sony isnt bad. The price diff between Toshiba and comparable Sony is usually a lot more.

Netbooks have become mainstream i guess. nary a response :slight_smile:

I have an EEEPC that’s about a year old that I’m quite happy with. Great battery life (up to 6.5 hours if you turn everything down). That, when combined with an iphone with tethering, is wonderful for working online while on long distance bus travel, or for doing presentations in coffee shops.

Been looking around to get a tablet PC, and thought about getting a Gigabyte T1028. It’s got an Atom N280 and has a 10" screen, but the price is still a little steep for me (it won’t be a primary computer and I was hoping to spend maybe less than NT$15000 for one).

I noticed that Asus now makes a touchscreen eeePC T91. It has a 8.9" screen but a slower version of Atom (the 1.3). Just seems to be too slow for anything beyond Paint.

Are there other choices?

[quote=“catfish13”]Been looking around to get a tablet PC,
Are there other choices?[/quote]
I don’t think the touch-enabled netbooks are actually categorized as Tablet PCs (in as much as they are defined by the Microsoft specification) since they don’t use pen digitizers. In that regard, for personal computing they’re not any more advantageous over just a standard mouse/kb setup.

The whole Tablet PC thing was aimed at students (only very rich students need apply), digital artists (again, only the very well capitalized), and a narrow group of professionals in industries such as real estate, computer aided design, and so forth. Unfortunately, even combining all of those groups together you’re still talking a relatively niche market.

lets see responses responses…

the dell netbooks are awesome…but they’re dells.

there’s 2 new HP netbooks about to hit the chinese market and i’d guess also the taiwanese market…

and well in the coming months many new netbooks will come out because its said google chrome OS is out next month

then ubuntu just got out and windows 7…

so as you can see many new reasons for these netbook makers to put out the same old crap with new OS and call it BRAND NEW…

the viaos to my knowledge don’t seem as great in the netbook stuff…
asus acer seems to be the frontrunners
dell’s netbooks are absurdly cheap…
hp is reliable…
so buy a company u like because most are the same specs for about the same price.

Atom 270 CPU, all of them, except MSI uses the Atom 570 in some models (slightly faster, with less power consumption). Given the ubiquitous Atom 270, even a year old model of any make is no slower than current model netbooks, so mint, used netbooks are great deals.