The New EVERGREEN MARITIME MUSEUM

I just went and checked out the new Maritime Museum started by Evergreen’s Chang Yung-fa Foundation. Chang is the founder and chairman of the Evergreen Group (shipping, EVA airlines, etc.) The museum is in the old KMT building at No. 11 Zhongshan S. Rd., just north of Chiang Kai-shek Memorial hall on the east side. Open Tuesday - Sunday 9-5. 200NT adults, emm.evergreen.com.tw

It’s a very interesting place, if you are into ships and the sea. There are over 400 models, of everything from triremes to clippers to Cunard liners to ships of war. For westerners who have seen all this before, it’s also quite informative on the development of ships and shipping in China. There are well-written texts in English and Chinese, plus a few English-speaking guides. There is also a large collection of paintings of the sea, mainly in the English 19th century tradition. It’s worth a visit if you are into that kind of thing.

at first glance i thought it said Martini Museum. disappointing.

still, ANY PORT IN A STORM. I guess i’ll have to SAIL in and SEA what’s happening. make sure it’s all SHIP-SHAPE and ABOVE BOARD.

Maybe i should do this THREE SHEETS TO THE WIND.

now, who’s a NAUGHTY GIRL then?

Wow! WAVES of laughter just rolled over me until I KEELED over …NET! The way this CURRENT line of humor is developing, we’ll all be fit to be TIDE before too long. WHALE, it’s a BOAT that time so I MAST be going. Talk to later, BUOYS.

Pardon me, but I did not realise you were Canadian, Big John.

when’s the next ‘talk like a pirate’ day, then? we should save those jokes for then.

I’m actually going to go and give a review. Stay posted.

after that, i can go to the museums of postal service, puppetry, paper and seal skinning scattered around this fair city.

just kidding about the seal skinning.

I went to the museum yesterday. It’s definitely worth a trip if you have any interest in the sea. Lots of good explanations about various ships, historical info etc in English - and it’s actually well-written English, not the usual Chinglish.

Since I had to write an article for work, I had a guided tour of the EMM. Pity my knees are not what they used to be, we walked for two hours and I don’t think I took in all there was to see. I think it is rather large, not NPM bulky large, but no small thing. And the design is quite flowing, not confusing or wasting any space.

I liked it very much. Not only did they treat us nicely -not all museums care for the press, and I’m not naming names- but the guide was quite knowledgeable about anecdotes and history of all the displays. She was left with many things to say!

Please note there are several guides, and to have a guide you do not need to be part of a really big group: we saw several coupels accompanied by guides.

From an educational point of view, the museum is very well designed and the activities are engaging and will certainly capture the attention of young and old.

My personal favorite was the representation of the Black Current using a light display. A simple corridor is turned into a river of light.

They told me that the translator was a guy who lives in Australia, who is also a boat fan and hence quite familiar with the topic. So conforting to see such great work in public, as all items have an explanation in English and Chinese.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will check this out next week.