The New PC Recommendation Thread

Throughput on ‘da bus’ is where that bottleneck is. I think some of the lesser used portions may remain in secondary memory. (?) Most of the OS resides in RAM/primary memory, along with BIOS.

So you only changed from hard disk to solid state… Maybe that called for some other updates. ?

(5 minutes later) ok - I see how swapping apps off the secondary into RAM would/should be faster without the classic HDD.

I’d advise you to at least do some reading or watch some videos on the topic before making any statements… or you just can do the tests yourself.

No, it’s not the only upgrade I made.

You mean like actually engage brain -before- operating keyboard…?! :thinking:

I kind of get most of it because I walked the computer world, mostly software but also hardware/network admin stuff, for many years. Thanks!

Sorry if I’m late to the party on this but can anyone recommend a 2021 PC laptop that runs windows that’s powerful/fast/snappy etc. enough to run movie and music production software, games etc. Looking to keep it 30,000 NT/1,000 US or less

That’s not true of all laptops, the one I’m using here at work has an additional stick of ram and my home laptop upgraded from 8 to 16Gb.

1 Like

Nothing against Windows, but until Intel get a processor out that can compete, at 30000 I would seriously consider a Macbook Air M1, specially for video and music production.

1 Like

If you want to play games, forget apple. Even the best apple laptop has mid range gpu.

The op isn’t saying he wants to do video editing.

Most laptop I seen has too little ram and they are soldered in, meaning no way to expand it. I’m looking at you, Apple.

One reason I freaking hate desktop is that they take a lot of space in my bag, and coffee shop owners look at me strangely when I setup my system…seriously…

Just don’t be cheap and configure the right amount of RAM when you buy it.

Are these in stock anywhere in town?

Online apple.com/tw

Ah. They must have just got restocked.

CES just finished and new laptops featuring current gen parts were announced, with sales starting at the end of January at the earliest or at the end of 2021Q1 at the latest.
I would wait for current gen laptops.
Why? Almost all of them come with USB-C charging, that makes them (for me at least) infinitely better than models which can’t. Carrying around a large brick is annoying.
There are few previous gen laptops that can charge over USB-C.

If you must absolutely buy one now, read on.

movie/music production

Blender? Vegas? Premiere? Rendering 4k? In general, more cores and threads=more better for rendering and 3D workloads.
Color grading? Then the screen matters as well.
Size preference? Laptops <=14" are pricier with worse specs compared to anything >=15.6".

I highly suggest against present day Intel based laptops, take a look at this comparison for rendering time.
That leaves us with AMD. We can narrow it down to their 4600(6c/12t) and 4800(8c/16t) offerings. Given that you intend to work with video editing, the difference between 6 cores/12 threads and 8 cores/16 threads is significant, that leaves us with the 4800.

Lots of laptops out there featuring the 4800U/H/HS. Luckily for you, they are mostly hovering around the 30k NT/1k US range.
Lenovo, specifically, this.
ASUS, specifically, this.
Both come with:
CPU-4800HS
GPU-1660 Ti
RAM: 2x8GB 3200Mhz
The ASUS states 2x8GB in the marketing images, but the spec sheet doesn’t specify 2x so you can try to make sure first, if however it did only come with a single 8GB stick (unlikely), the G15 has two SODIMM slots so you have the option of adding another stick in there.
Storage-
Lenovo 1TB HDD+256GB SSD
ASUS 512GB SSD
Screen: 1080p@144Hz

edit:
If you’re using Final Cut then that leaves you no other option than to go with Apple, and as @babab00m has said, the M1 Air is capable enough.

2 Likes

Apple Store in 101 has them now. I noticed them in a retailer…don’t remember which one…last Saturday as well.

Yeah they’ve shipped in a load because NY bonuses start going out this week…

1 Like

Op said he wants to play games, so rendering time for video isn’t a consideration. Gpu is important here and most apple computers have shit gpu.

Which part of

movie and music production software

did you miss?

McNulty is not the OP. Steve4nLanguage is, and he didn’t mention either of those.

Great info about the CES :+1:

I modified the title to make the thread more general inquiries about PC and laptops open to all.

1 Like