The "news item" from yesterday (foreigner not wearing mask)

That’s actually a good question. Sarcasm, irony and condescension slip by a lot of people here, and the Karen concept is tied up with at least a couple of those. I feel like I’m going to be thinking about this for a long time…

Indeed. It says there he refuses to have his temperature taken or to wear a mask. Every time he visits. That is asking for trouble. He wants to be a hero? There you go, your 5 minutes of fame.

One of my pals called the MRT cops on a foreigner who, aside from not wearing his mask properly but as a chin diaper in the train, was muttering to himself how this Covid is all … hogwash. Looked like high on something of not very good quality.

1 Like

Sorry, the quality of ketamine has gone to the dogs lately.

1 Like

She should’ve minded her own business, but

… he is a dickhead for flouting the mask mandate and he is a guest in a foreign country, and he shouldn’t give the media ammo for more “bad foreigner” takes. So… meh.

EDIT: Wait… was he sitting down having a drink while she was going at him? Then you’re allowed to have your mask off. Now I’m confused. Article definitely needs more context.

2 Likes

I was actually planning having a coffee in at my favourite coffee shop next week.

Sincere question, do I need to go back and forth with a chin nappy manoeuvre for every sip?

3 Likes

He dresses fashionably, that should be counted in his favor.

:man_shrugging:

Not really. If you’re on your own I’d just pull the diaper down.

And milk that grande latte to the last drop.

2 Likes

I’ve been back to coffee shops now for a couple of weeks. I follow what everyone else inside is doing, which the majority of time is what you said, lowering the mask only when taking a bite or a sip.

However, a couple of times I noticed folks near me who kept the mask off the entire time they were seated; no one called them on it so I followed suit.

6 Likes

雞婆, or for customer-specific 奧客.

2 Likes

What else to report in Taiwan?

That’s why this morning a cop was patroling the MRT train and looking at me very suspiciously, darn waiguoren doubled up masks.

1 Like

This is great to know. I’m assuming this is Taiwanese (?)

Plenty of locals doubling up masks.

奧客 is, 雞婆 isn’t.

Correction: apparently 雞婆 has Taiwanese origins too.

5 Likes

Nah, I think the first one is too mild for a Karen.

雞婆 can sometimes just mean to be pedantic, without attacking unsuspecting pedestrians or throwing a tantrum at a Walmart.

奧客 is probably more negative, but then again, not necessarily someone who is aggressive towards people, could be passively 很過分.

I’d probably go with 瘋婆…

Found this image, googling 瘋婆, looks like a local Karen to me.

2 Likes

That’s going into batshit territory. Of course, Karens are known to go into batshit territory. But where Karens often use appeals to authority, a 瘋婆 would more likely make an appeal to batshit.

2 Likes

That’s deep, man. You know your po’s. :laughing:

4 Likes

:sob:

Yeah, I only put my mask on if I stand up. Seems logical.

1 Like

Why not get a better mask? N95/99