The ocean is huge; it dilutes everything

The ocean is huge; it dilutes everything.
Is this view based on scientific findings? Apparently not, but so what - so many people believe it, so many people can’t be wrong.

An interesting convergence of threads here, and all of them coming together in the ocean (for now - they won’t stay there forever, of course):

Agent Orange - a snippet of a story from decades ago, reported last winter:
japantimes.co.jp/community/2 … n-okinawa/

Decades ago, reported one month ago:
japantimes.co.jp/life/2013/0 … okescreen/

Decades ago, reported now:
scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 … us-barrels
and
japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 … e-experts/
and
japanfocus.org/-Jon-Mitchell/3975

And the obligatory “other side” statement:
upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/08/ … 376592202/

Radioactive pollution from Fukushima - a snippet of a saga that started in the spring of 2011, reported 2 years ago:
world.edu/radioactivity-ocean-diluted-harmless/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … Ocean.html
fukushimaupdate.com/fukushima-to … fic-ocean/

More of the saga, and tales of radiactive pollution from elsewhere, reported last year:
e360.yale.edu/feature/radioactiv … less/2391/
washingtonsblog.com/2012/06/ … shima.html
globalresearch.ca/fukushima-paci … ater/31200
washingtonsblog.com/2012/09/ … ocean.html

More of the saga, a few months ago:
bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-1 … ocean.html

And ongoing:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1&t=122695

Plastic waste:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pac … bage_Patch

I am not saying that all of these articles are necessarily the best sources of information or the last word, but… could there be a teeny weeny bit of truth to what is written there?

Great! Another the world is going to end thread… I’lll bet that it doesn’t. Can we leave it there?

No the world won’t end.

Until the day you or me end up getting cancer, out of the blue, with no increase in lifestyle risk. :unamused:

Now where the heck did that come from… I eat a lot of fish, isn’t fish healthy doctor?

Plastic is contaminating even supposedly clean alpine environments.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24434378

We need to seriously cut back on plastics use, there are alternatives in many cases.

One of the major causes of micro plastic contamination is from washing synthetic clothes , tiny pieces break off continually and enter into river and marine environments.

sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 024836.htm

Walk into your local drugstore or clothes store and look at what everything is made of…plastic.

When I hike, I like to pick up garbage I find and deposit it in the proper receptacles when I get back. Imagine if everyone did that.

Reduce, reuse, recycle, and clean up.

If one goes to the beach here it’s horrifying how much plastic and rubbish is lying around, literally every metre you can see something, and yet that is just the stuff we can see with our naked eye, not the micro plastic that’s discussed above

An important statistic, there was more plastic produced in the last ten years than in all of the 20th century!

There are alternatives to plastic such as wood, paper, metal, glass, cotton, rubber etc. In many cases these materials do not leak chemicals into your foods and drinks, but they simply cost more to use. The other thing we can do is reduce our use of disposable materials i.e. re-use and reduce the amount of plastic material used in disposable items.

In some cases using plastic still makes sense, but why not force all manufacturers to use a clear color code for plastics and stop them mixing different materials together so they are more easily recycled or else force recycle design to be incorporated into product design from the start. Look at the average plastic bottle or tetra pack…they are mixing too many materials together with little justification.

You’ve got so called eco-shops like the Body Shop selling material in disposable plastic containers.

It should also be required that all retailers are forced to take back any plastic materials sold, which would quickly push them to improve on the current situation and give them more reasons to promote other materials.

It’s pretty scary that plastics are not being processed properly out of recycled sewage water as that is used for irrigation and even for drinking in some places.

don’t they teach people how to write anymore? you know, start with the basics, topic sentence, intro, body, conclusion and evolve from there. I don’t want to see your stupid fuggin links and then expect me to understand your point. Jebus!

Yeah, I’ve seen the ocean. It’s one big mother.

The ocean is a very good diluter, but if you want to reeeeeally dilute something, take it to your local homeopathist.

Well, very much on topic, new research in Taiwan found high levels of mercury in people who consumed deep sea fish once a day, like far above safe levels.
One three year old had eaten fish every day from 1 to 3 years old and had 40 times the recommended maximum, he also had learning difficulties.
So no sushi everyday folks. They say at most once a week or once a month.

So yeah, coming back to bite us.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well, very much on topic, new research in Taiwan found high levels of mercury in people who consumed deep sea fish once a day, like far above safe levels.
[/quote]

Any way to get iodine without sea fish or sea salt?

The ocean isn’t big enough to dilute all the salt in it.

Or all the water.

Then there’s the fish poop, but that sinks to the bottom.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well, very much on topic, new research in Taiwan found high levels of mercury in people who consumed deep sea fish once a day, like far above safe levels.
One three year old had eaten fish every day from 1 to 3 years old and had 40 times the recommended maximum, he also had learning difficulties.
So no sushi everyday folks. They say at most once a week or once a month.

So yeah, coming back to bite us.[/quote]

Large deep sea fish have lots of mercury in them. That’s well known and all dietary recommendations suggest you limit your consumption especially for species such as shark and tuna. There’s no new story here.

It’s not new, yes, but the research showed a strong link between mercury levels in people and their diet, so the message needs to get through to people.

It dilutes everything except those PET bottles and plastic I keep finding - even far offshore.

It’s an “old” story, and that makes it even worse: humans are continuing to foul their nest inspite of all the information that has become available, concerning the results.

Most people these days don’t want to read that much. :wink: Those who read, however, get some useful info from following the links, where they find more than enough topics, bodies, and conclusions…

Bad brain day? But i’ll help you - the point is right here:

[quote]The ocean is huge; it dilutes everything.
Is this view based on scientific findings? Apparently not, but so what - so many people believe it, so many people can’t be wrong.[/quote]
I couldn’t find the sarcasm smiley, though, so… sorry…

It’s an “old” story, and that makes it even worse: humans are continuing to foul their nest inspite of all the information that has become available, concerning the results.
[/quote]

Oh I agree, I was just pointing out that mercury in large sea fish is not a new topic and I have seen it reported in Taiwan many times over the past 17 years. If people don’t know about it they have no one to blame but themselves.

How far do you go out?

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Humans are pigs, clueless and stupid … with a short memory span for bad things.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk