The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

Yeah, I did that and it didn’t work.
Are you glitchy today? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Most likely

2 Likes

He’s probably tired of stupid questions.

I don’t know what’s the problem with backpackers. Is it that crazy to travel without a suitcase and spending as little money as possible so you can travel more for the same money? Personally I dislike hippies and I couldn’t stand the idiots in India who “namasteed” you all the time and wore like fuckin’ Gandhi, but there’s nothing wrong with wearing simple and comfortable clothes that you don’t mind to destroy. I was doing this for 5 months in several countries in Asia and had a great time. I couldn’t have done the same going to resorts and eating like if I were rich. Also I would have missed lots of things in that way.

In Taiwan I love wearing hiking clothes during the weekend; I like to go to places where you sweat, or get dirty, or wet, and the clothes I wear are the ones that make sense the most. One of the reasons I’m in Taiwan is because I can be fuckin’ Indiana Jones.

1 Like

Yeah, agree with you there. Nothing wrong dressing comfortable and suited for the occasion. Nothing wrong with being a backpacker either.

However, as I said before, walking around the “city” as in downtown Taipei, looking like you are ready to go treking through the jungles of SE Asia looks a bit odd.

Does it not? @discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Yes definitely

The guy came to Taiwan … and didn’t realize he wasn’t in Thailand? Am I reading this right?

(And yeah I fucking hate it when people get the two confused)

1 Like

That’s me many times :smiley:

BTW, not very far from the city you have “jungles” not very different from the ones in SE Asia. Indeed, in some of the hills within the city you have snakes more venemous than any other in SE Asia.

Ah, OK. I misunderstood - I thought you were following on tango42’s description of the odder backpackers.

Typhoid Mary was real. :eek: Just sayin’.

1 Like

yea those spiritual types are the main ones that wind me up, that have left the bad backpacker impression i have. scroungers and spiritual types. theres nothing wrong with trying to travel on a budget and roughing it for the experience but if you are going to leave your own wealthy country to scrounge i just don’t get it. stay home if you can’t afford it. i’ve even seen westerners begging on the streets in mainland china to fund their travels. no shame.

Yeah, i never had to beg.

Except for that one time that a guy in Morocco tried to sell me some lamb head using some funny play of words and jokes, and I ended up convincing him to invite me and my friend using the same tricks than him :smiley:

As for the spirituality, I don’t understand why people need to travel to another country to find it. Especially India…

Some people just like the Dalai Lama better than Pat Robertson.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Travel narrows the mind.

In 1990 in a… small eastern town, shall we say- there was “Tom” from the States who had a motorcycle accident in Taiwan which left him a little loopy, and who drove the local cops crazy because he spent the winter in a tent in the bush, without a fixed address- they knew he was there, but not how to find him.
-“Doujiang Mike”, who married a local and also drove the cops crazy, because he didn’t work at any bushibans- just spent all night mixing buckets of doujiang in his father-in-law’s breakfast shop.

• An American guy a couple of years later whose wife worked as a nurse in a psych hospital, who lived in the bush in a tent also, but with his wife and four kids.
    And many more, starting with a Certain Resident of Kaohsiung, concerned with his hair and his knee, who was killed in a plane crash flying between Taiwan and the Philippines.
1 Like

why would that concern the cops? if he was married, he’s probably legit to work there or am i missing something? besides the fact that you don’t see many foreigners working at breakfast shops.

It probably freaked them out as they couldn’t process that a foreigner resident in Taiwan couldn’t be a soldier, teacher or priest at the time.

2 Likes

Yeah once about 25 years ago I had moved and I had to go to the cop station on the corner of Nanjing and Chungshan to get the paper thing. An old guy there kept asking me where I worked, and I kept telling him I didn’t. He said “you must work somewhere” and I told him “I would not want to do anything illegal.” That shut him up but he didn’t look too happy :slight_smile: Another lady, apparently impressed by my Chinese, kept asking me to tutor her. I kept saying “I don’t teach”. I still don’t know if she was serious or trying to nab me. They could be tricky like that back then. Another guy when renewing his visa, just told the cop he was working here or there. The cop got this pained look and said “why did you tell me that!”, lol.

You know there was a time when it was illegal to pay foreigners in cash? Ask @ironlady