The Okogreen Cafe near CKS Memorial Hall and

Okogreen Cafe

My gf and I went to try this place today, on recommendation from one of her friends. It’s a Fair Trade certified cafe near CKS Memorial Hall and the Taiwan Medical University. In fact, its one block over from the corner of RenAi road and Linsen South road. The address is here : 台北市杭州南路一段14巷16號1樓

This cafe claims to be the first, and so far only, Fair Trade certified cafe in Taiwan. They told us that there are other places sell Fair Trade certified coffee, but since they also sell non Fair Trade certified coffees, they can’t receive the certification. There is one rather odd thing about this place. There are no prices on the menu.

You pay them whatever you feel it was worth after you finish the drink. They had the standard coffee drinks for a cafe (Americano, Latte, Espresso, etc etc), teas from Taiwan and then the Fair Trade coffee. My gf wasn’t feeling particularly adventurous today so stuck with a Latte. I got an Ecuadorian coffee that was really good. Nice and mild brew. They have a decent amount of information about the coffees they carry, but it’s all in Chinese.

To answer the question that was on my mind when I walked in, the least anyone has paid is 30 NT. The most any one individual paid was 3000 NT because she wanted to support their cause.

[quote=“lbksig”]Okogreen Cafe

My gf and I went to try this place today, on recommendation from one of her friends. It’s a Fair Trade certified cafe near CKS Memorial Hall and the Taiwan Medical University. In fact, its one block over from the corner of Ren’ai road and Linsen South road. The address is here : 台北市杭州南路一段14巷16號1樓

This cafe claims to be the first, and so far only, Fair Trade certified cafe in Taiwan. They told us that there are other places sell Fair Trade certified coffee, but since they also sell non Fair Trade certified coffees, they can’t receive the certification. There is one rather odd thing about this place. There are no prices on the menu.

You pay them whatever you feel it was worth after you finish the drink. They had the standard coffee drinks for a cafe (Americano, Latte, Espresso, etc etc), teas from Taiwan and then the Fair Trade coffee. My gf wasn’t feeling particularly adventurous today so stuck with a Latte. I got an Ecuadorian coffee that was really good. Nice and mild brew. They have a decent amount of information about the coffees they carry, but it’s all in Chinese.

To answer the question that was on my mind when I walked in, the least anyone has paid is 30 NT. The most any one individual paid was 3000 NT because she wanted to support their cause.[/quote]
NO prices?? I wonder if the place will go the distance. Taiwanese are not free with their money.

I know this place well. Their main business is selling coffee beans rather than being a cafe. And I am sure they won’t lose much money with their “pay as you like” policy. Most Taiwanese know what things are worth and there are also issues of face with regard to how much people pay.

Here are links to a couple of articles with more information about Okogreen.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003416144

taiwanjournal.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp? … CtNode=118