The "Old Days"

Sometimes they pull up in front of you while you were waiting to cross the street, blocking the way. Most of the taxis were red back then

That was just the betelnut stainsā€¦

2 Likes

This site is fun. Just found it yesterday.

1 Like

Who remembers when Caves Books ꕦē…Œ sold all counterfeit books for like TWD 60 per book in the 1980s? Printed on cheap thin paper and complete copyright violations. They would have put the ā€œrealā€ Hermes bag sellers in Shenzhen to shame.

1 Like

Brilliantā€¦:rofl:

In the first year I was here, a taxi driver almost physically tried to drag me into his car from the bus stop I was standing at.
Iā€™m not that small a bloke either. I was so shocked I didnā€™t even know what was going on for a good 10 secs!
I guess he was offended that I would take the bus instead of his shitty taxi.

2 Likes

@Brianjones Better than getting dragged into a strange lane in Snake Alley in the 1980s

2 Likes

How did you find it?

I was trying to find a 16oz propane canister in Taipei for a camping stove I bought in the US. Apparently Taiwan uses some strange Japanese standard for camping propane canisters. Forumosa had a thread on this very topicā€¦Believe it or not. Awesome site.

6 Likes

I used to live around there in the 80s ha

In the early/mid 80ā€™s Zhong Cheng Rd (åæ čŖ č·Æ) in Tianmu used to be called Beer House Road. Outdoor bars lined that street and were packed on the weekends. To the east of the road behind the beer houses was farmland and there were still a couple of farmers using water buffalo.

2 Likes

Smart phone zombie-ism.

In Kaohsiung a mere 6 years ago it was still an issue. Everywhere I walked taxis would honk the horn when they saw me or yell taxi. I had to say bu yao many times a day.
Not sure about today as I left Ktown 3 years ago. Taichung and Taipei taxis donā€™t do this.

Near xiziwan in Kaohsiung they still had a restaurant serving dumpling for 2.5$nt each, again 6 years ago. Likely inflation caused a jump in pricing. The souths food was amazingly cheap.

You could also park a scooter literally wherever you wanted but then a year later they cracked down on this hard. 50ccs were belching smoke everywhere.

I fondly remember the heyday of the ā€œbeer housesā€ - å•¤é…’å±‹ć€‚The places where almost everyone ordered ā€œ3 cups chickenā€ - san bei ji. Ah, 1980s Taipei, gone but not forgotten.

1 Like

Sanbeiji fucking rocks.

1 Like

The frog is better

1 Like

True that. I always go frog if I can but itā€™s sometimes voted down.

2 Likes

I think the chicken tastes like frog.

3 Likes

Does anyone remember Apocalypse Now, the beer garden, not the movie? I miss that place.

Beer house road (row) is now on Changan E. Rd. between Linsen and Xinsheng North. But not the same as Tianmuā€™s Zhongcheng for sure.

Thatā€™s why they call it ē”°é›ž.

1 Like