The Older Lady

What’s it like being a single (western) woman in your thirties in Taiwan?

You’re an older woman if you’re in your thirties?

What about if you’re a man in your thirties, does that make you older too?

Age has little to do with the quality of a woman IMHO.

I imagine it is entertaining, educating, well paid, at times frustrating just like it is for the rest of us.

From what I’ve seen and heard, it’s okay but a little harder to get jobs teaching kids, and rather difficult when it comes to romance (unless you’ve got model-quality looks). Personally I think it’s nice to have older people around; makes a nice change from the immature (cough Canadian cough)youngsters that plague the island.

I came to Taiwan in my mid twenties with a partner, and am now thinking about returning (single), so I’m much older in my eyes! I remember thinking it was quite an unequal society - the women seemed quite subservient to men at times and I got a bit frustrated - but I have no idea what’s it like being there on your own and hoping to meet someone.

Snow White

Are you hoping to meet a Westerner, or a Taiwanese? There are few of the former relatively speaking and many of them have a penchant for Asian girls and/or are already spoken for so I would imagine that to be quite hard. There are threads on both subjects if you care to search for old threads from memory Taiwanese guys tend to be a little intimidated by Western women although there is that “fantasy” element to white skin. Occasionally you may experience bizarre behaviour such as having someone randomly grab your boobs (but this happens in the UK anyway) but on the plus side some of the single white males on this site are very frustrated with Taiwanese girls so would probably be up for some dating.

Hope this helps, but also hope you have other reasons for coming as your stay will probably be more fulfilling that way, and if love comes along then see it as a bonus.

Good luck.

I’m not bothered about nationality, only the person.
Ahh you’re all really nice - judging by some of the previous threads I was expecting to hear ‘good GOD woman!’

Any females out there though…?

Yeah, but they have their own forum, we can’t get in. You can PM someone and get in if you reveal the appropriate bits, I think.

HG

Some of us consider thirties to be younger :grandpa:

Yeah, but they have their own forum, we can’t get in. You can PM someone and get in if you reveal the appropriate bits, I think.

HG[/quote]Ahh yes…that would be me…a simple jpeg(pics, snaps…nod nond nudge nudge) will suffice!
Opens all the magic doors for you !

It might be him, I mean her?

HG

In your 30s? Yeah! Fresh meat. Some of us go for the younger stuff, you know. Which is a group that includes you. Taiwanese girls in their 20s are still babies, while many Western women in their 20s are still little girls.
A lot of men prefer women to girls. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Depends.
I came to Taiwan the last time at 29 and left at 40, so that covers the period you’re interested in, I guess.

I didn’t have any problems in terms of work, but I was in a different market as a college professor and then as a translator (not to mention my radio host days – oh, please, don’t mention them!!)

The thing I would warn of is that since dating opportunities can be fewer than you would have in your home country, do NOT fall for the first idiot who might ask you out, at least not until you ascertain if he has his own agenda or not. There are people out there who want residence rights in certain countries and are prepared to do what it takes to get them; and if you haven’t been dating steadily, you are vulnerable to that kind of pitch.

And be cautious of seriously dating people not from your own country. Sounds closeminded, but when you’re in Taiwan, another Westerner seems “just like you” until you leave Taiwan with them and find out they’re miles apart in reality. Some cross-cultural marriages work out fine, but I think marriages between nationalities A and B while living in Taiwan (country C) often don’t see what “the real world” is like, if you intend to eventually live in country A or B. If that makes sense.

It is however a great chance to do what you want to do when you want to do it (no safety concerns for the most part) and time enough to marry when you go home!

I’m a single western woman in my thirties. What’s it like? What do you really want to know, Snow White? Do you think it is more difficult for us here?

I don’t really know what’s the difference between being a single western woman in your thirties and being a single western woman in your twenties. Maybe it’s because I still feel 21. Maybe it’s because I can still party like when I was 21.

I came to Taiwan when I was 32. Been here for more than three years.

Never was it difficult for me to find a job, good friends or a boyfriend. Never was it difficult for me to keep my job, my friends or a boyfriend. (Well, my boyfriend is a different story. Not always so sure if I want to keep him.) It’s easy to find the above, but harder to keep it. Maybe that’s the difference. Then maybe emotional maturity, experience and a a bigger sense of responsibility and respect count.

It’s not about age, it’s about attitude!

Oops, aging is not so good for the memory. Came to Taiwan when I was 33. See, I told you I still feel 21!

Also, being here as a western woman in my thirties, you kinda downscale on your taste (of food, clothing, men). Don’t think I would have dated this boyfriend in my home country. Choices are fewer here.

I’ve seen evidence to the contrary. The finer men here, like anywhere, appreciate inner beauty, personality, and intellect. And there are plenty of men and women who have postponed marriage due to their education and careers, and are marrying in their thirties. Keep your chin up, I say, and be positive. Get out and meet people, and sooner or later you’ll find the right one. :slight_smile:

I suppose that as I’ve just come out of a long term relationship - which is good in some ways, as I want to travel again (I’ve had itchy feet for quite some time!) - I’m very curious and apprehensive about dating again and wanted to hear what it was like for others in a similar situation.

When I was in Taiwan before some girls told me it was difficult for Western women with regards to meeting someone - so I was wondering if this was an across the board feeling. So that’s my motivation!

I can’t imagine a worse place in the world for a white woman in her thirties “hoping to meet someone”. That is no way intended to be taken as a criticism of white women or women in their thirties or forties or whatever, and of course when it comes to things romantic who knows what the heck will happen, but honestly I think you would be setting yourself up for a god awful time unless: 1) You are really gorgeous. 2) You are bright and bubbly and energetic 3) You speak Mandarin reasonably well. Some combination of a percentage of the above mentioned traits might work too I dunno…

[quote=“pukwai”]I’m a single western woman in my thirties. What’s it like? What do you really want to know, Snow White? Do you think it is more difficult for us here?

I don’t really know what’s the difference between being a single western woman in your thirties and being a single western woman in your twenties. Maybe it’s because I still feel 21. Maybe it’s because I can still party like when I was 21.

I came to Taiwan when I was 32. Been here for more than three years.

Never was it difficult for me to find a job, good friends or a boyfriend. Never was it difficult for me to keep my job, my friends or a boyfriend. (Well, my boyfriend is a different story. Not always so sure if I want to keep him.) It’s easy to find the above, but harder to keep it. Maybe that’s the difference. Then maybe emotional maturity, experience and a a bigger sense of responsibility and respect count.

It’s not about age, it’s about attitude![/quote]
Bravo! Bravo! :bravo: :notworthy:
Couldn’t have said it better.
Is she seeking other female advice or females? She came with a “partner” which can be a guy or a girl. OP - clarify?

bodo