The "omigod" thing

Oh, I don’t mean Friends is the cause of the whole issue. Basically, I was using Chandler as a metaphor for modern media.[/quote]

The Taiwanese almost certainly got it from South Park.
[Cartman]That Canadian satirical humor has warped their fragile little minds![/Cartman]

I used to always get peeved with students indiscriminately using ‘poo poo’ in polite conversation. I realize it is OK in Taiwanese culture to announce to the world when you have the shits, but I taught my students the fine art of euphemism and that that word should only be used in certain special circumstances as the lesser of all other evils.

Conversely I have experienced other teachers accept or even promote using it with things like,

people here also have fcuk and fkuc on their shirts. they don’t know this is ‘off’ just as they don’t know picking their nose(then wiping it on the shirt) in public is wrong.

as for God, people here either worship many or believe nothing. There is no one God for most people here so omg is just an expression.

Err… you know that FCUK is a major European brand, right? frenchconnection.com/

As opposed to my 15 year old cousin, whose ‘F*** OFF AND DIE, C***SUCKER’ t-shirt I do not believe is currently on general release.

Call me a heathenous hot-damn European heathen but like many Brits, I never really noticed this and ‘god’ in general means very little to me. It’s often used as a camp or half-joking outburst of annoyance… ‘GAWD, you let him put it WHERE?!’

On the other hand, while ‘bloody hell’ etc. isn’t particularly offensive to British adults any more, along with ‘oh gawd!’ it’s not something I would teach in a primary age classroom. However, I wouldn’t feel the need to reprimand a child who came out with ‘oh my god!’ or suchlike. I think I would only start pointing out issues with religious sensibilities once the kids were definitely mature enough to handle it; I’ve seen really really PC/pro-diversity schools drum religious acceptance into kids from an early age only to see it backfire spectacularly. As usual, common sense should prevail but rarely does.

No.

I hate that commerical too. And she says, " Oh my gaaaaaaa!"

What is with the random caucasians on TV who pose as North Americans, but…talk funny?