The Oscars

I know that. I have seen it. Doesn’t change the fact that it WASN’T in a foreign language since it was SILENT.

I remember there was a great dog in it!

It wasn’t bad. I watched it on a flight. It was perfect for that, being silent and all.

Here’s the dog. Sadly now gone from this earth. Goodnight, sweet pup…

What was @tommy525’s question?

He asked about a foreign film, not a foreign language film.

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwea0LZQe9k

1 Like

First Best Picure was also silent, Wings. Dated but the director, William “Wild Bill” Wellman, had been a WWI pilot for the Lafayette Flying Corps, and the combat footage still pops. This bombing scene (starts at about 1:45) is better than anything CGI, and it was filmed 90+ years ago.

https://youtu.be/prtXgdZhWXY?t=105

In that case you’re still wrong since there have been a lot of British or British-American co-production BP winners.

No, he asked about the last foreign film to win BP. 12 Years a Slave (2014) was an American film, co-produced by a British company (and directed by a Brit, Steve McQueen), but the last foreign film was The Artist.

Dang a silent movie won best picture in recent memory? I should see that one then. Maybe pay per view on youtube?

I like to watch the oscars and this is one time I wish I had TV. I stopped my TV years ago because I was paying 160 a month for tv and internet but my wife and i almost never watch tv outside of oscars (which she doesnt watch ) or news (which she doesnt watch).

So now paying 60/month only for internet (still a LOT compared to Taiwan I think).

I wonder if youtube has the entire 4 hour thingy online?

No, but you should be able to find it on putlockers or something in a few days.

But your speeds are probably much faster. My dad pays 50 bucks a month for 1TB for both download and upload speeds!

Was it a bad movie or something? At least Spike Lee only tried to walk out instead of pulling a Kanye.

I can’t remember what I was posting about. I think it was a response to Gain praising Colman’s win and complaining about Close not winning.

Was that really attributed as a Taiwan movie? Bit of a stretch.

Well they couldn’t both win but it’s a bit sad that Glenn Close lost for her 7th nomination, and given her age she’s got next to no quality projects. Amy Adams lost for her 6th nomination too but at least everyone knows she’d be back in no time.

Why? The director was Taiwanese (Ang Lee) and most of the crew were Taiwanese as well. If the crew members were mostly Chinese it would’ve been disqualified as a Taiwanese submission.

It happens all the time. Where the story is set has nothing to do with the country of production. See: Amour (Austria but the whole film was in French) and Pan’s Labyrinth (Mexico but it was set in Spain)

If the crew was mostly Taiwanese then that’s OK I guess. Ang Lee was treated so badly by the KMT government it kind of grates on me when they try and claim him as the old glory of Taiwan.

1 Like

You posted a link about Green Book winning for best picture. Seems some people were not happy about that result and I was just curious if it was not a good movie.

Aren’t these awards kinda subjective anyway and basically up to the opinions of the voting committee (minus any bribes/corruption, of course).

1 Like

MANY people are not happy about the result. It’s got so many dislikes on youtube already lol.

I enjoyed Green Road but jesus how could they give it an Oscar over Roma? Roma is a magnificent piece of cinematic art. Nothing comes close to it in recent years.

1 Like

I mean, these awards shows are ultimately pretty meaningless. It’s a lot of scammery and riggery and insider celebrity drama that us regular folk will never be wise to, nor should we want to be wise to it. They do it for themselves, really, not us.

2 Likes

Home Internet goes from 1000 to 199 NTD, your choice. With MOD and VOD (tv channels and video on demand).

Aside from Netflix, there are other Chinese language alternatives which are also pretty varied when it come sto getting entertainment.