The Oscars

As the penis goes…there was way too much penis in that film.

What? What penis? I didn’t see no penises.

Paying 60 a month for snail speed

It was also a pretty lame movie. The acting was horrible.

I enjoyed it and thought it was a good throw back to the old school kung fu movies. Did you like House of the Flying Daggers?

Crouching Tiger was interesting visually and kind of fun. My problem was the stilted acting, especially from Chow Yun-fat and Michelle Yeoh (also horrible chemistry). Part of it was probably due to them having to deliver lines in their horrible Mandarin. If you’re gonna film a movie in Mandarin, can’t you get actors who can actually speak it?

1 Like

That’s why I love Wang Kar-wai’s trick of having each actor speak in their mother tongue dialect.

Art film directors can get away with stuff like that. In Ang Lee’s defense, he was probably under a lot of pressure from the studios to cast “big names” in the lead roles. He probably wouldn’t make the same mistake again with his current stature.

It’s been many years since I’ve seen it and at that time I watched it in the English-dubbed version. Which, I was actually impressed how well they made it seem natural and not dubbed. I should probably give it another go in the original Mandarin.

I don’t recommend it. You’re better off keeping your fond memories.

No surprises for me, as per usual – Except for Olivia Colman’s win.

Especially not surprised about Green Book, btw. Knew Roma/Cuaron would nab directing. But Roma’s foreign language and black-and-white visuals are going to keep some of the basic b**** voters away.

It was always a long shot for Roma to get the big cahuna because of the way it’s voted. Every other category you win by popular vote (and for job-specific categories, only those who belong in that branch can vote in that category – e.g., actors can’t vote for best cinematography) except for Best Picture, which every academy member can cast their votes (ranking). It’s instant runoff/preferential voting.

Basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIxihGOaQ8

1 Like

Btdubs — Saw the teaser (basically an impressive list of the legendary cast names; seriously, look it up) of netflix’s Irishman and already could see the campaign coming up this fall/winter. Forking over $$$$ and a bending their own rules on releasing in a traditional model. Netflix reaaaallly wants that best picture :trophy: .

It was an excellent movie. The acting was great if you ignore the accent. Only Chang Chen was awful.

That movie was laughably bad. Zhang Yimou is a fucking hack (since Hero anyway).

Are you kidding? Chow and Yeoh were horrible in that movie.

Chow wasn’t anything special but Yeoh was great.

Wow, talk about overrated actors. And she’s not even good-looking, considering she was a beauty queen. She has been OK in some stuff though.

Yeoh has a lovely face. She’s a very handsome woman, in the same vein as Setsuko Hara.

Hara is better looking and has much more charisma. Yeoh basically has horse-face. She should change her name to Winnie. :grin:

Idk what looks have to do with acting ability.