The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

Segregate people by wealth. Treat wealthy white and POC equally, as well as poor white and POC. It’s anti-racist.

2 Likes

That’s already happened.

EDIT: I do apologise, that was clearly the point you were making. Doh! Off to play petanque.

In other words:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Critical race theory (CRT) was developed in the 1980s within the context of a critical cadre of Black legal scholars and scholars of color who deployed, and continue to deploy, powerful narrative writing and who pulled from their personal experiences to explicate and resist the problematic entanglement of the law and legal discourse as embedded within structures of white power.

Trump’s attacks on CRT are consistent with his attacks on the press, his intolerance for facts and truth, his rejection of critical consciousness itself, his rebuff of dissent, and his need to create scapegoats as a process for maintaining his predominantly white base. Yet, within a thriving democracy, critical thought, thoughtful dissent, and counter-hegemonic efforts and activism are crucial — the very lifeblood of an informed citizenry.

Prominent scholar Mari Matsuda is one of the founding voices of critical race theory and holds the distinction of being the first Asian American tenured law professor in the United States. She is a law professor at the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii, and has published a number of books, including Where Is Your Body?: And Other Essays on Race, Gender, and the Law; Words That Wound: Critical Race Theory, Assaultive Speech, and the First Amendment; and We Won’t Go Back: Making the Case for Affirmative Action . In this interview, Matsuda discusses the real goal of critical race theory, the struggle against anti-Asian attacks and how to envision, and work toward, a future of healing.

George Yancy : It is such a pleasure to speak with you in this format. Yet, the occasion is dire. Trump has attacked critical race theory, white privilege training and diversity training. He supports their characterization as “divisive, un-American propaganda training sessions.” I am fairly certain that Trump has no idea what critical race theory means. As one of its original creators, briefly share with us just how essential critical race theory continues to be, especially at this moment in the U.S.’s history.

Mari Matsuda: Neither Trump nor his minions who drafted the executive order banning critical race theory have read a word of our work. Law journal articles have hundreds of footnotes. It takes work to read critical race theory, the kind of work they are not accustomed to. They have some vague sense that critical race theorists are anti-racist intellectuals. That is the basis of their attack. Their goal is to telegraph white tribalism: We share your anxiety about replacement and only we can defend you against all enemies . This is an old tactic that elites have used to keep power. First, invent an enemy. Then, proclaim yourself the faithful source of protection against that enemy while you pick people’s pockets.

Their goal is to telegraph white tribalism: We share your anxiety about replacement and only we can defend you against all enemies .

Anyone who has actually read the work knows critical race theory is not about replacing white supremacy with Black supremacy, or any kind of supremacy. The goal of critical race theory is not to make white people feel guilty, oppressed, disregarded or disrespected. Nothing in my work does that. The stated goal of critical race theory is, first, to understand the concept of race: How was race as an idea developed and deployed? Second, CRT seeks to dismantle racism as part of a project of dismantling all forms of oppression. For me, this includes a lot of utopian work: imagining a world of mutual care and mutual respect. The idea that people seeking racial justice want to put down white people is a massive projection. We want a fair and just world for everyone — white folks included, obviously, since they have been integral to progressive struggle since the founding of the republic.

Really? You seem to be an expert on knowing what is moral and what other people believe. I think this pattern is much more telling about you than us.

2 Likes

I think that’s a nice cliche you read in chat rooms all over devoid of substance or original thought, and also a personal attack. Also not really an interesting one.

Thank you for helping prove my point.
:pray:

1 Like

I posted an interview above, why don’t you read and let someone else know what you think.

ki o tsu ke te ne

I think it’s a solution in search of a problem. I reject its main tenet.

I don’t believe it should be banned though. People should be free to discuss their theories.

2 Likes

I’ve only been over this 1000 times before, but it’s hard to know the ‘main tenet’ of a course of study you’ve never read or participated in in your life.* There’s prob thousands of papers in this subject.

*For most of us, anyways.

But banning the use of state funds for mandated training is quite different from banning discussion by academics (who are, as it happens, also largely state funded outside of STEM). Would you agree?

That is to say, you understand that nobody discussing this in good faith is entertaining the idea that the theory itself will be banned, right?

2 Likes

I reject that white supremacy exists and that it’s enshrined on law. Am I wrong?

Think bigger, white supremacy culture, the law only being a small part of it.

Yes.

OK, but having a culture would mean it exists. I reject that notion. My point still stands.

Then please explain it in a few simple sentences. If you can’t, you don’t understand it either.

I spent a few minutes looking into CRT and found this.

Looks to be basically the same as I originally stated.

Lordy lordy…

Wrong thread?

I’ve been going off the Thomas Curry definition in previous exchanges. TBH I never once claimed to be an expert in CRT. The boys here were the ones that called attention to it in the first place, the irony being RW obsession with it is probably giving it more airtime than it ever would have had otherwise.

If you want my own ad hoc definition: Recognizing and undoing systemic racism is important and a moral obligation for Americans.

The only thing I can be sure of is the Tucker Carlson/WashExam/Corporatist angle that it’s some kind of insidious takeover of universities is non existent but that idea is filling a need for certain people and businesses.

Beyond that, I’m sure my press secretary will be along any minute now to explain anything futther. I’ve you scroll up I’ve said about all I care to say about it.

1 Like

Virginia school teacher

Races don’t exist. What’s wrong with you? Look at the racial differences!
Lol