The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

That’s a great statement. I wish she weren’t resigning. She’ll just be replaced by a woke-bot.

I guess she would have to accept being silenced in that case; this may be better.

Another victim brainwashed by right wing media or what, eh?

more non-existent evidence of a manufactured outrage

I mean if that’s your evidence it’s pretty poor. She didn’t agree with a private school’s curriculum, so what? Quick perusal of her Twitter shows she’s not exactly impartial.

As opposed to bills being passed in states with no evidence of complaints, or completely based on one fraudulent complaint like Idaho. Really sounds like a widespread problem sweeping across America.

Or another interpretation…

Q: What is critical race theory?
A: An academic concept that racism is a social construct embedded into legal systems, government policies, and in-laws.

Q: Should critical race theory be taught in our schools?
A: Not unless we’re aiming for fewer white supremacists.

Q: Won’t teaching it just make other kids hate my white children?
A: Your kids are already insufferable and widely despised.

Q: Why do some people condemn critical race theory?
A: Misplaced sexual frustrations.

Q: Does critical race theory instill the belief that all white people are racist?
A: Academics are way too timid to pull off something like that.

Q: Why are conservatives attacking it so aggressively?
A: They have come to view Joe Biden as too nonthreatening of a target. :rofl:

Q: Is it true that critical race theory opposes empiricism and embraces science as a causal mechanism?
A: You’re thinking of critical realism theory, moron.

Q: Will incorporating critical race theory into education curriculums lead to a less racist society?
A: Probably not, but might as well mix it up a bit in history class.

1 Like

Personally, I was against judging people by the colour of their skin when Obama was president. But that’s just me, and I was reading the academic literature around critical pedagogy not basing my opinions on the Onion (that’s just you).

Just one in a long stream of evidence that these things are happening and it’s well within the proper interest of the state to regulate them. Don’t worry, there will be more.

Any examples of this?

Why would this produce fewer white supremacists?

That’s from the Onion.

2 Likes

Well, it’s an interpretation @Malasang88 was presenting for our perusal. I didn’t find it less or more serious than any of his other arguments.

4 Likes

I have not seen any examples that justify legislation censoring teachers in our education system. In fact, what is glaring is the complete lack of evidence and fraudulent examples used to justify legislation. You’re notably silent on that point.

Wait…isn’t dismissing opinions different from your own exactly what you’re claiming to be against? :roll_eyes:

Thank you.

I’m not silent at all, I’m continuing to give examples. You can see many above. You seem to just be rejecting them out of hand or ignoring them. “Censoring teachers” is simply absurd, the government has a responsibility to regulate the content of education.

All you have is jokes, it seems.

2 Likes

Idaho passed a law on “dignity and nondiscrimination in public education” that calls out critical race theory by name last month. Even before that, already under pressure from the Legislature, Boise State University suspended 52 diversity course sections over a report that a student had been shamed and humiliated in class for being white. An investigation later found that no such incident had occurred. Instead, according to an independent report, one student admitted to calling an instructor’s explanation of structural inequality “stupid.” Other students commented in the Zoom class’s chat feature that the comment was “not cool,” and the student left early. The instructor, meanwhile, told the rest of the class that the student was only criticizing the logic of an argument, and later checked in on her.

So in the example of Idaho, it was based on a fraudulent complaint, your response? Laws based on problems that don’t exist. Is that a joke?

Reminds me of how there are numerous examples of right wing media manipulating media on “antifa” when more people are taking photographs than causing damage. You dismissed that as well. You are committed to an idea. I’m simply pointing out that the scale of which is infinitesimal compared to the reaction and drive to censor.

Not to mention all of the other states I’ve pointed out that have no record of complaints which you dismissed. The examples you have posted are a teacher not liking the curriculum…ok. And a parent flooding a school with 300 requests for information so maybe hopefully she could find CRT somewhere.

These problems do exist, I have given many examples and will give more. States are very wise to regulate these kind of practices as described in the content of the legislation.

Still no response to passing a bill based on fraud and pressuring schools to shut down courses.

The only example I have seen that was litigated was from Las Vegas and covered by the civil rights act. Every state in question with a bill has no evidence and no need for a new law that further encroaches on what is allowed to be discussed in class.

The fact conservatives devote so much time to obsessing over culture wars is sad. Trump supporters feel like everyone is accusing them of being racist. That’s what this is about. The examples you have shown are desperate attempts to find something where there is nothing.

We have real problems to address like infrastructure, voting rights, and a post covid economy. This is a waste of time and taxpayer funds.

As a Canadian who had to deal with this in my university, and considering developments in the UK and France, if you are really interested in discussing CRT, please go back and read the thread.

If you want to talk about antifa, there’s another thread for that.

1 Like

They’re not, everyone is aware of things that are happening around the country. What happens in one state today can easily happen in Idaho tomorrow. They are being wise to prevent it.

The only example I have seen that was litigated was from Las Vegas and covered by the civil rights act. Every state in question with a bill has no evidence and no need for a new law that further encroaches on what is allowed to be discussed in class.

You just don’t think these kind of divisive practices are wrong. I do.

If they don’t violate the law, that won’t be a problem.

No, it’s not. It’s about protecting children from incorrect educational practices and preventing people from being subjected to racially divisive practices including compelled speech.

No, they’re not. They’re examples of exactly what needs to be legislated against.

It’s an excellent use of them to prevent these kind of practices. We expect governments to do that regardless of whatever else they need to do.

1 Like

We already have a law in the civil rights act. Demonstrate why we need a new one.

Much of what you lump into CRT is not wrong. Compelled speech is wrong and that’s where these examples (or lack of) fail.

Conservatives have nothing to run on in an economy that is sure to continue growing and a recovery from a pandemic. When in doubt, obstruct and default to cultural issues. Rinse and repeat.

Because they aren’t preventing these practices.

No, they’re compelled speech. I’ve explained why.

Nothing to do with me, you have no other relevant argument to make I guess.

When have I ever said I was against dismissing opinions? I dismiss dumb opinions all the time. Dismissing and canceling aren’t the same thing.

I have plenty of examples where a state is passing a bill with no evidence or that evidence is a lie. I will continue to post them.

You have your purpose too I suppose.