The Overdue Critical Race Theory Thread

I had to stop at the dom whip. My wife only likes me watching war docs and hockey highlights.

yeah, had to push past that intro to the good stuff, hence my posting that it was worth hanging on

The Vice interview with the FCA founder, which weā€™ve been discussing for the last few posts. And yes, Iā€™m aware of the third-party training stuff, as I said in my post. Iā€™ve also read the thread! Itā€™s 99% opinion pieces which are light on details and even lighter on references. The most promising thing I found was the Rufo list provided by Tempogain way back here, but I scanned a bunch of those links and didnā€™t find any curriculum there either (though I may have just missed it).

Hence my question! Iā€™m not disputing that this stuff is being pushed from the top, and making its way into some third-party trainings. Iā€™m trying to understand how it all distills down into actual classroom curriculum.

That link to the Abolitionist Training Network in the DoE handbook does seem odd, and itā€™s kinda fun going through the Wayback Machine and seeing how many times that paragraph was edited with different wording and links. But I donā€™t know to what extent its inclusion would have affected what actually happens in the classroom.

1 Like

Oh, Iā€™m not watching that straw man. 35 minutes into my video she hits academia/education, if you want to see something intelligent and interesting. She leans a bit more conspiratorially than i do, but a smart lady all the same

Variously

Good stuff, thanks. The idea that CRT is being thrown at everything because itā€™s easier than addressing the actual reasons black kids do worse in school sounds pretty plausible to me.

1 Like

This is why your input is appreciated.

2 Likes

My favorite thing about that is the slide on her left: ā€œALL WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST. [Paypal link]ā€

1 Like

About 20 min in! Great stuff

1 Like

Nuts

Hereā€™s her own take on it, with somewhat different emphasis:

5 Likes

A public school is doing everything in their power to avoid answering parentsā€™ questions regarding exactly what is being taught to their children.

2 Likes

We talked about this case a bit above. Some implied the woman was deliberately making trouble for the school district. Pretty easy to see whoā€™s being reasonable and unreasonable here.

3 Likes
1 Like

This oneā€™s just good for a laugh. I guess he didnā€™t know who Dr. Karlyn Borysenko is lol. He should have read this thread! Catch up Glenn!

1 Like

she says at 8:37:

And it is true, Iā€™m not sure a new point has been made for a while. For example, with reference to the WaPo hit piece(s):

1 Like

Does anyone expect anything different at this point? Agenda drives the facts.

1 Like

No one is asking for schools to not teach about slavery and Jim Crow, or shy away from any other painful parts of our history. What parents are asking for is that critical race theory, a divisive sociological ideology that stands opposite of the Westā€™s liberal tradition, does not become the lens through which all of history and social interaction is contextualizedā€”especially when it comes to teaching kids in K-12. Teaching the painful parts of history shouldnā€™t be controversial, but it also falls on parents to raise their children to be good people who treat their fellow Americans with the dignity and respect they deserve.

Thereā€™s that framing again: racism is a thing that happened in history. I feel like the conversation should be about what to teach to explain or at least examine the ongoing racial disparities in outcomes, but that doesnā€™t really seem to be happening.

1 Like

That conversation was the very reason for the genesis of Critical Race Theory. For a couple of decades the conversaton focused on identifying and eliminating overt racial discrimination which was holding people of color back. When eliminating overt racial discrimination didnā€™t solve the problem of disparities in outcome the conversation moved on to implementing favoritism (Affirmative Action) as the solution to the problem.

When favoritism only dented disparities in outcome the only remaining option was to jettison the conversation as unproductive and move on to something else entirely. Thus was born Critical Race Theory. Logic and reason were declared covert tools of racial discrimination and it was proclaimed that the only evidence necessary to prove that racial discrimination exists is that disparities in outcome exist. Case closed.

Now the only agenda is bulllying, browbeating and gaslighting anyone who stands in the way of brute force remedies for disparities in outcome. Reparations. Sizable income transfers. Public confessions. Silencing dissenters. Race shaming . . . . The remedies are still being worked out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the only agenda, just the easiest one to attack.

Youā€™re right. I forgot indoctrinating.

Itā€™s pretty clear though to anyone whoā€™s being honest that the conversation is over now and weā€™re in the penalty phase. White people are being given an opportunity to admit their guilt before the financial penalties for keeping POC from achieving the same outcomes as them are assessed.