The past rears its ugly head

Hi all:

I went to file my taxes for 2006 and the tax office pointed out to me that I stayed in Taiwan during 2005 for 177 days in 2005. As a consequence, they want proof of income or support during that time - well, most of my income came from my overseas bank account that I accessed via atm - and I am one of those who find atm receipts a nuisance, so they promptly get ripped up and tossed out.

During that time, I lived with my girlfriend, so I didn’t really need to pay rent.

the tax office gave me two alternatives: either provide bank documentation showing the transactions or get a letter from my girlfriend saying that she supported me financially during this time.

I was wondering if there were any alternatives to this.

Thanks,

Fish

neither of the two options sounds too onerous. contacting your bank back home (online banking should allow you to print out transactions) or getting the letter look to be your best bets.

i would assume that if there were other alternatives, the tax office would have presented them to you?

[quote=“hey_fish”]the tax office gave me two alternatives: either provide bank documentation showing the transactions or get a letter from my girlfriend saying that she supported me financially during this time.

I was wondering if there were any alternatives to this.[/quote]

Yes. Pay the tax.

But the others options sound easy. For example, just ask your GF to write a letter.

Yes, I went through option 1 years ago the first time I filed. I went into the tax office with about 6 inches of credit card bills and bank statements, all calculated to show how I got my money while in Taiwan. They accepted it with very little examination.

Your CC company or overseas bank can provide you with all your past records, sometimes requiring a small fee.