The peak woke thread (Part 1)

American (USA, Canada) wokism. If they were aware of the name, we would have heard from them already. Probably UK isn’t either, and the map I posted shows that UK hasn’t have cases yet.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Flogging dead horses, from Peak woke

I don’t have a hard time with either. If calling it covid makes people feel better, no skin off my back.

What worries me is not the name change, but what’s behind. Again, you can read on the topic and the many articles written back then. There were many because of the unusual of the situation, and well, because it was changed several times. If after reading about it you still think that it’s just a name change, and that everything is alright… I guess you won’t be alone, many like you.

Old timey words just fade away anyway. Who needs them? I mean the dumb waiter is now the, er—

This is one of those “if a man did it, it’s bad! If a woman did it, a man must’ve put her up to it so don’t blame her!” nuts.

1 Like

Yes there are many like me who don’t get caught up in the woke/anti-woke hysteria. I think the people complaining about it as if this is the downfall of modern society are just as bad as people that get offended by Wuhan. And if you’re saying China virus just to single out Chinese people, then it should be obvious what you’re doing. We call those people assholes and no need to praise them as champions of free speech.

It’s a cultural war meant to distract when it has little to no impact on your life.

1 Like

You don’t get caught, you say, but you go on to this thread to try to spoil what otherwise is something fun. So after having seen you participating quite a few times in this thread, I don’t think you are totally indifferent and neutral in that woke-antiwoke hysteria, as you call it.

As for the virus naming problem, it’s not about people getting triggered by it, which is stupid enough, but how political groups press other other people including professionals in their decissions and expressing opinions. There’s been a lot of censorship these recent years, and China and Russia know of this being a weak point they can and do exploit.

Similarly, you can look at what happen when discussing the origin of the virus, how China played the I’m offended card and how most of the media bought that narrative, and how hostile were media and activists against people who dared to suggest this or that because, you know, racism.

1 Like

The impact is little to nothing on my life because I live in Taiwan. But, a major reason I am in Taiwan is the woke nonsense. Many people in Taiwan have been sheltered from it, and it isn’t a surprise that they don’t see what all the fuss is about. The ignorance, however, borders on arrogance. Which is, IMO, tres woke :smiley:

4 Likes

I certainly find people’s obsession and the amount of time they spend on it fascinating. But when reflecting on my own life, I can’t point to one thing where my life has realistically been impacted by these issues.

Has there? Any claims of censorship in the West are usually discredited with plenty of publications, social media posts etc. using the terms that are supposedly censored.

Or conversely how people used it to attack and discriminate against Asian people of all types, and when politicians deliberately agitated those tensions. So if calling it China virus wasn’t helping, then it doesn’t bother me they changed the name. And if people are too easily offended by a name that isn’t being misused, like maybe monkey pox not sure, then they need to lighten up as well.

Well you either see the difference between caring about, and wondering why others care about it…or you don’t. It’s one of the most active threads on the forum…about Taiwan. Explain that.

LOL.

Because there is so much evidence that thisbis happening, there are constantly things to post about it.

Self fulfilling prophecy.

If I said that evidence of racism, or patriarchy, or homophobia, etc., were a self fulfilling prophecy in exactly the same way, would you accept that as a valid and logical argument? Would be most woke of you not to…

If I scowered the country looking for examples of racism to deliberately make an issue seems more widespread than it is, then yes the same logic applies.

I see way more coverage devoted to woke-ism and finding the most egregious examples you can amongst conservative media than anywhere else. If the Left is so obsessed with it, I’m not seeing it. Most people are moderate and continue to vote moderately.

If your politics are based solely on populism, then you have to rely on culture war/wedge issues to motivate people to vote. There is no substance there. There is no end goal. It’s all about stoking the flames.

FFS changing the name to mpox. Who cares?

Monkeys care :monkey_face:

1 Like

International politics forum, a fun thread about… Funny news. If it has more activity than let’s say Funny picture of the day is because you don’t agree some things are stupid or you don’t like, I don’t know, Jordan Peterson.

So there we go. That’s pretty much a checkmate. You either see it, or you don’t :smile:

You either see it, or you don’t

This is probably true, but in academe for example there is a very clear and well established leftward bias.

This is a problem, certainly. Not many good choices for politicians these days, but not sure how that explains away an issue that you don’t see anyways :man_shrugging: