The peak woke thread (Part 1)

How long has this curriculum been implemented, and do you have data to show it’s not working? If I had to guess, these Buffalo city schools are underfunded and have been failing for quite some time, long before any woke boogieman started coming around.

Since it doesn’t work anywhere else, they should have known from the get-go that it wouldn’t work in Buffalo.

This sort of BS is not new: it was done back in the 70s. Different terminology, same artic full of horseshit. It didn’t work then, and it’s not going to work now.

The fundamental problem is that it’s far easier to come up with stupid new miracle shortcuts than to buckle down and do what you’re paid to do. Happens all over, not just in education.

1 Like

Again these are generalities. If you’ve got specific examples of how any specific programs have been implemented and haven’t worked, then by all means.

Look at this paragraph from the article critiquing Buffalo schools, itself very poorly reasoned:

“The new training sessions and curriculum are unlikely to lead to better student academic outcomes. Buffalo Public Schools have been an abject failure: by fifth grade, only 18 percent of students are proficient in math and 20 percent of students are proficient in English; one-third of all students fail to graduate from high school. The numbers are even worse for African-Americans, who constitute 45 percent of the student population. And according to the veteran teacher, despite the new “antiracism” programming, the district’s poor response to the pandemic has accelerated racial inequalities, with virtual attendance rates as low as 30 percent in some classrooms.”

The author only cites that the schools performed poorly, which has most likely been the case for decades due to underfunding and lack of resources. Then he blames the districts response to pandemic in classrooms. Correlation not causation, the author furnishes no proof of any programs working or not working, no data, no examples.

2 Likes

Like McNulty?

3 Likes

She must drink woka-cola.

Ha ha. You have to laugh at this nonsense

2 Likes

How can that be right, 11 hours a day for 6 days a week is 66 hours a week, 264 hours for a 4 week month. Which means they make between $1.32 and $1.81 an hour?

That’s a Chinese factory! Where 6 days is the norm plus the low wage and all the other bullshit the workers put up with. Doesn’t make it right, but misleading.

Yep- lefties have been saying that for years.
I’m reminded of a Rod Dreher column (conservative Christian) in which he expressed genuine amazement that people on the left were generally hostile to big corporations- didn’t big companies have human resources lectures about equality? Didn’t they sometimes sponsor floats in Gay Pride Parades?
Apparently all the complaining about low wages, environmental damage, opposition to health insurance, hostility to unions. lousy working conditions, last-minute scheduling- sailed right over conservatives’ heads.

2 Likes

I have always supported workers rights.
The big corporations are backed by those on the ‘left’ now. The ant-war crowd have vanished. They are no longer ‘lefties’ - the left have gone onto WEF initiatives backing corporatism.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/02/24/california_school_board_vp_parents_that_want_schools_to_reopen_are_forcing_a_white_supremacist_ideology.html

:doh:

1 Like

What an asshole.

1 Like

I don’t blame her…I blame the people who allowed her to assume a position of power.

3 Likes

It’s a safe bet she was put in that position purely because she’s a female person of colour, not because she’s qualified for the post.

It seems that when you skew the playing field with the noble aim of equality-of-outcome, what you don’t actually get is equality-of-outcome. Whoever would have thought?

1 Like

Either that, or the whole power structure is infected with the woke virus, which is even more serious.

Except if you read the article it says:

“The rest of the board was very professional, kept their composure and ushered the meeting back to the subject at hand. Rebecca McRae did a great job as president of keeping things from unraveling further and continuing the meeting until a date was chosen. Charda was definitely out of line with her unprofessional accusations and comments to the other board members,” a Facebook user responded."

“According to the NBC affiliate in San Diego, the La Mesa-Spring Valley school board voted to pursue its reopening plan.”

So obviously the old wokey virus fears are a little exaggerated. Surprise.

1 Like

How are you concluding any of this based on the actions of one member of the council, who was clearly overruled and not representing the views of most of the district?

Given that the board voted against the woke lady, does that now prove equality of opportunity and/or outcome? The reopening plan passed and most of the board was commended for sticking to the plan.

Indeed. Not only does she hurt her cause generally by screaming ‘racist’ so easily, but she loses personal credibility as well. Ahem.

“Rather than rejecting the concept of wokeness outright, today’s detractors often claim they are rejecting the word as a signifier of pretentiousness and “cultural elitism”. However, as Fox and others have shown, it is as much to do with the issues of racial and social justice. Criticising “woke culture” has become a way of claiming victim status for yourself rather than acknowledging that more deserving others hold that status. It has gone from a virtue signal to a dog whistle. The language has been successfully co-opted – but as long as the underlying injustices remain, new words will emerge to describe them.”

Kinda like how the right co-opted SJW; but the far left (or the Elite, or whatever they are to be called) make it easy by yelling that people are racists. You of all people cannot disagree with this. One could also make the argument that the far left weaponized the word ‘racist’.

Come to think of it, I have learned of John McWhorter recently and he has written articles on both of these topics. And you, @McNulty, called him a racist.

Case closed.

edit: My point is, it doesn’t matter what the far left calls themselves it will become of term of derision because too many of the ideas and the tactics are morally and intellectually distasteful*.
*not that the far right is perfect by any means, of course

1 Like

I was referring to her life outcomes. Instead of being empowered, she ends up looking foolish. Which (I assume) is the exact opposite of the intent.