The peak woke thread (Part 1)

But seek a more equitable distribution of resources in their shared realities such as access to housing jobs loans rights etc. Those bind everyone.

I think that skips over the part where we ask “should we be imposing the existential reality of a minority on everyone”. There are pro’s but there are con’s too.

No one should be discriminated against in those kind of issues for any such reasons. If all “wokeness” meant was promoting such ends, I wouldn’t have any problem with it! If it was simply “an attentiveness to important issues”, who would? I took a minute to read the article and wish I had it back, why did they bother? When they said Shortcut they weren’t kidding. A quick look at this thread will show many, many instances of the kind of mentalities that people object to.

This is where conflicting rights come in.

Whose stereotypes? Those of everyone who is white.

Yes! But it is about the same time a hierarchy of whose rights are more important than others comes in, for those that have muscle memory the principle of everyone should be treated equally and not discriminated on a basis of sex, sexual orientation, race or religion starts to get a spidey tingling feeling something seems off.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/02/25/rand_paul_vs_rachel_levine_do_you_support_government_overriding_parental_consent_on_puberty_blockers.html

Rand, taking back woke.

There are currently 40+ transgender-youth clinics (and counting) in the United States, according to the Human Rights Campaign. The largest transgender-youth clinic in Los Angeles saw more than 1,000 patients in 2019; the youngest patient was four years old. And the director of that clinic has admitted to personally recommending double mastectomies for “probably about 200” adolescent females, a decision she has justified by the argument that “they don’t identify as girls,” thus breast removal is actually “chest reconstruction.” Similarly, a study entitled “Age Is Just a Number,” published in 2017 in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, reveals that eleven out of the 20 surgeons interviewed admitted to having performed vaginoplasty — that is, castration followed by the inversion of the penis to form a pseudo-vaginal canal — “1 to 20” times on males under the age of 18.

The gist of most of this thread.

3 Likes

How to:

1. avoid criticism on your choice of presenter
  2. become an award show presenter
1 Like

‘WOKE WITH A HARD R’: HOW THE RIGHT CREATED A NEW DOG WHISTLE
The word woke is now a funhouse version of itself — a weaponized expression of winking anti-Blackness. How did we get here?

"Woke is no longer a Black word. In a matter of a few short years, it went from a soulful signifier of Black consciousness, to a sneering dog whistle of anti-Blackness used against anyone who might argue for a world where Black lives do, indeed, matter. "

"The word first blossomed in pop culture in an Erykah Badu track back in 2008…Throughout, Badu uses this refrain, “I stay woke,” …It’s a way to speak to the dual social consciousness of Black Americans. We can never be just one thing. Even when we chase the American Dream, we must “stay woke.”

"Then, Ferguson happened. After Michael Brown’s murder, the BLM movement leapt into the national consciousness. With it came wokeness, a culture unto itself. “Woke” soon started to serve as a shorthand among people calling for the world to wake up to the systemic racism that was causing Black men and women to become hashtags at an alarming rate. Next, as often happens, white people seized on woke as a handy catchall. As such, woke morphed into an online signifier, but one generally used by young, well-meaning white people who were urging others to become aware of the racist agendas operating against Black life. Woke became a semi-hip racist critique. "

"Quickly, though, woke also became the opposite. It became a polite slur, a dog whistle used to mock anyone who dares to suggest that American history and culture is racist, and argues that life in America should radically change based on that understanding. This new cultural meaning for “woke” helps to explain why, when Senator Josh Hawley recently lost a big book deal, he didn’t pause to reflect on the fact that he’d incited a riot in the nation’s capitol that claimed five lives; instead, he blamed “woke culture.”"

‘Woke With a Hard R’: How the Right Created a New Dog Whistle (melmagazine.com)

Humans may grievously sacrifice the 9-year-old, the virgin, or the widow upon the pyre in worship of a God. Too, humans may sacrifice the black kid from the work of mastering the gift of math, in favor of showing that they are enlightened enough to understand that her life may be affected by racism and that therefore she should be shielded from anything that is a genuine challenge.
This is not pedagogy; it is preaching.
And in this country, religious propositions have no place in the public square.

Bravo, this kind of nonsense has been popping up too much. What would compel someone to come up with an obviously damaging idea like this?

This tool provides teachers an opportunity to examine
their actions, beliefs, and values around teaching mathematics. The framework for deconstructing racism in
mathematics offers essential characteristics of antiracist
math educators and critical approaches to dismantling
white supremacy in math classrooms by visibilizing the
toxic characteristics of white supremacy culture (Jones
and Okun 2001; dismantling Racism 2016) with respect
to math. Building on the framework, teachers engage
with critical praxis in order to shift their instructional beliefs and practices towards antiracist math education.
By centering antiracism, we model how to be antiracist
math educators with accountability.

The woke are out of control, and so they are criticized. I want my food salted liberally with woke, but now it’s like some mad Russian forcing shot and shot of vodka on you.

But 96% of people reading this kind of thing will be thinking “Yeah, but what about the math ??”

5 Likes

Wokeness is ironically the very thing it opposes. Trying to say black kids are unable to do math like white kids is pretty damn racist.

1. to require students to “show their work” is racist;

I do have to indulge in this point though. I moved from Taiwan where mental math is valued to the US where showing work is valued. My math ability actually went downhill when I went to the US.

1 Like

Woke now is not solely about systemic racism. It’s about all socially liberal issues, some of which are ridiculous. Mocking them doesn’t mean a person is opposed to black rights or is a racist. Just as not supporting 100% every issue that is now part of BLM means that someone doesn’t believe that black lives matter.

1 Like

Math is racist. Why are white students so bad at math?

I believe the article I linked to discussed the etymology of the term ‘woke’, it’s origin, and how it has been co-opted and come to represent a form of mockery.

I’m happy we’re finally moving towards discussing the definition of woke, and what is meant when people use this term.

Agree, but that wasn’t the point of the article I posted.

The idea of what BLM actually represents is a matter of great disgreement on this board, at the very least. What do you believe they represent?

It means black lives matter.

1 Like

Which issues in particular are you referring to?

It’s a decentralised movement, so there will be countless issues that people attach to BLM.

Here’s their mission statement, so we can work from this:

#BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.
We are expansive . We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity , our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.

About - Black Lives Matter

Good thing in a democracy you can vote for people that have these same ideals.

Say Her Name was started because black women criticised BLM for focussing too much on crimes against black men.

There you go, a criticism of the BLM movement.

1 Like