The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Societal values sometimes run in cycles. Decadence self corrects when it gets bad enough. The slippery slope may just have an elevator at the bottom.

Call this another Trump thread, but it’s about something bigger. It’s about the forces that lie behind the Trump phenomenon. Things that seem to come from nowhere actually come from somewhere… somewhere you weren’t looking.

3 Likes

What? Is this the type of math they teach in gender studies? Stick with STEM everyone.

11 Likes

I think they also include other things like childcare and household chores in their “work” calculation, not just formal employment. This is of course disingenuous. Either way, still pretty funny to see it just below the title.

The original article does not have the same title. Someone deliberately altered it so they could lie about. I would suggest the poster should check on the original next time before reposting right-wing lies.

4 Likes

The page immediately below appears to be an Internet Archive Wayback Machine copy of the same article, which is apparently a fairly old article (2011, I think):

This appears to be a later Internet Archive Wayback Machine copy of the same article, apparently archived/captured (or whatever it’s called) in 2018:

3 Likes

I guess they don’t have basic math class in journalism school. :man_facepalming:

Actually they don’t. A stats class would have helped.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The sign has been co-opped by the internet trolls, the basement Klan and whoever else needs to feel secure.

Sometimes, it’s just best to leave well enough alone.

2 Likes

Yes, but the media won’t. They’d rather ruin the lives of innocent people in their attempt to win the loudest virtue signal award.

3 Likes

Except it has been co-opted for that purpose, as everyone well knows, including even military members who have been disciplined for it

Now there’s ok signs, which I’ll make too and happily tell anyone who has a problem with it where to go, and underhanded signs being made for the TV camera, which do need an explanation. I must have missed the “circle game” in the playground lol. It is disturbing that military cadets would either be using a racist hand sign (it in fact is being used for that purpose by some), oblivious, obtuse, outright stupid, or playing a child’s playground game on TV.

Can’t co-sign on that. I couldn’t call them “innocent”. They know what the sign is and chose to troll folks. Even if they we’re referencing the game, it’s still not innocent. Drawing attention to your groin while in uniform? Very unbecoming.

They attend West Point one of the best schools in this country, a school with strong emphasis on personal responsibility. I see no victims here.

1 Like

“Everyone” knows that the ok sign has been co-opted first to make fun of leftists and next by some white supremecists? I suspect the number of people in America who even know about this issue is under 20%. Beyond that, as of yet I haven’t seen evidence that this has actually been co-opted by white supremecists at all, nonetheless to a degree that people play the circle game, call out a 3 pointer, tell people that they’re ok, or gesture a number with their hands without suspicion of racism being justly inferred.

This thing is so stupid it’s funny. But when people defend destroying people’s lives for this, it’s just pathetic.

4 Likes

Really? Evidence, please.

2 Likes

Who tf did that?

1 Like

A big problem is people who take this nonsense seriously don’t realise they are in a minority. The majority of people couldn’t give a toss about identity politics and don’t know that a certain hand sign is now banned. I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t read about it in the Guardian.

4 Likes

They are young kids still. A mature enough person would conduct themselves in a manner that draws attention to themselves in a positive manner.

1 Like

So you know about it :slight_smile: “If I had just locked myself in a closet and never read any newspapers or looked on the internet, I would have never known about it”

This assumes that people are like you or I. Many, many people don’t read anything political and if they do they would never read news from a liberal outlet.

1 Like

They are essentially irrelevant in a political discussion in that case. They will never see the reports on this and be unaffected by them.