The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Sometimes boring is good.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Before I read this, just going to put down the James Lindsay quote from the video @tempogain shared on the KenDiangelosim thread and see if it fits:

“it’s not about paying attention to their arguments, they don’t care about their arguments either”

edit: close enough

1 Like

I’ve been saying this since 9/11. The Chinese have a saying “May you live in interesting times.” I say “I miss the 90s.”

Actually, they don’t. It’s an apocryphal saying. :wink:

The '90s was pretty awesome though.

Ah, well it’d fit. They sure loved making the last year and a half “interesting” when they unleashed a pandemic on the world. :shushing_face:

1 Like

The honeymoon between the end of the Cold War and the beginning of the “War on Terror.”

Yes, I’m always corrected by some who say “what about Rwanda? Bosnia?” and I admit my perspective is a little insular and skewed. But it felt carefree at the time.

And, in keeping with the topic of this thread, peak woke hadn’t started yet! Although it was percolating in the social sciences departments…

1 Like

It took off when “social sciences” met “social media.”

1 Like

This can be your Ph.D. thesis topic. I bet you can’t wait for that extra NT$2,000 a month. :grin:

1 Like

:shushing_face:

Ha, I had the same thought.

yes lol.

1 Like

Isn’t that guy a bad guy anyway? :idunno:

I don’t think it’s confirmed he was fired. They seem to have carefully not said that in their statement.

“We never want our guests to experience what this family did. This is not acceptable and we are sorry – and we are taking steps to make sure nothing like this happens again. We can’t discuss specifics about this incident, but we can confirm that the actor no longer works here. We remain in contact with the family and will work with them privately to make this right.”

:ponder:

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not really a long-term occupation :slight_smile:

Tell that to this guy’s mom.

1 Like

What a silly poll question, to ask if someone is something that isn’t an objective term.

“Woke” generally refers to someone who is aware of social issues such as racial prejudice and discrimination. It has increasingly become a divisive word in political circles, with conservatives belittling “woke” progressives.

1 Like