The peak woke thread (Part 1)

xD

Some time ago I had a discussion with some coworkers about the stupid renaming cycles we had with the WUHAN virus :smiley:

Both were opposing to using that name, because, you know, it was stupid and racist. Since when viruses or bacteria have been named after the place they were firstly found? (note: it’s a perfectly common practice).

Anyway, I used the African swine flue as an example. I bet that Americans didn’t have this virus and that was the only reason why there was no controversy about this name and it hadn’t been changed. One of them laugh it off saying that it was a “totally different” case (bollocks) while the other one, much more woke, said that yeah it was a totally inappropriate name.

Well, I was right:

If this virus ever made it to the USA or Canada, be ready for renaming it. Because you know, racism.

Same with COVID’19.

The Chinese know very well Western countries weaknesses and exploit them.

Why wasn’t Ebola renamed then?

I don´t know, you tell me what you want to say.

That was the most recent example before covid and doesn’t fit your pattern. So curious why you think that is?

Should be the perfect target for name changing.

Metrosexuals…

Can you explain what pattern it fits or otherwise?

Ebola? Yes it was named after the Ebola river the place where it was discovered.

There were cases in the US and a significant scare at the time. So according to your theory, they should’ve changed the name.

I can think of why covid would be treated differently, but I’m curious if you can come up with the answer yourself.

Is it racist to change the name of a virus, or is it racist to keep the original name of a virus?

Discuss.

1 Like

Sports.

3 Likes

None would be racist by themselves. That depends on the context and how you’re using it. I think you’ll have trouble coming up with a racist/not racist rule for everything.

LOL.

Ebola appeared before the wokism madness, but also “Ebola” isn’t a clear reference to an ethnic group or doesn’t have a clear connotation that can trigger anybody, because probably nobody knows or cares that it’s the name of a river. So yeah, that’s why nobody that we know of has questioned the name.

You do have the case of African wasps and Asian wasps being considered racist and inappropriate names in USA. I remember hearing that about African wasps maaaaaaany years ago, but Asian wasps is racist too now:

The normalisation of the woke madness gets to a point in which the absolutely normal practice of naming findings after the place where they were originally found now, at the eyes of some people, is such a strange and stupid practice.

As for this:

You don’t really need to think, you can read the myriad of articles published back in the day about this. I guess by now you know you don’t need to and you are not really the person to test me.

I can tell you now: statistics are racist and sexist. Like biology.

(note: not pretending that biology is the only or main factor in that specific matter… just in case)

I identify as Machiavellian.

1 Like

Half jokingly I said that I could make the name “African swine fever” change if I wanted. It’s dead easy. You just need a Twitter account and talk to a couple of BLM or woke nutters. Does anybody really doubt that if these people were aware of the name of that disease, there would be silence about it, like now? no chance.

I thought there was an entire industry on just that kind of stuff. Righting wrongs and all.

And African swine fever is still unknown to them. If they knew, they would be already whining over it.

All of them? Everywhere? And uhm, which them are we talking about again? Canadians?