The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Yeah. If a writer packs “heteronormativity” and “privilege” in the same thought, it’s guaranteed they’ve lost my interest because suddenly I ain’t remotely interested in the axe they want to grind.

“NYT” “journalism”

1 Like

I wonder what (say) Oscar Wilde or Marcel Proust would have thought about this sort of sophistry. It’s a pity they’re no longer around to write scathing articles about intellectually-challenged journalists who think they have something important to say.

Barbie soon to be added to the “Go woke, get broke” list?

Going woke hardly ever pays off because its pandering to legbeards who aren’t interested in the product anyway.

I wonder whether the folk at the Grauniad are taking the piss?

They’re clearly not stupid people. What are they trying to achieve?

2 Likes

There’s a whole new spectrum of stupid these days, IMO. I think the clue is here:

I could never articulate why.

People are not taught thinking skills these days, or how to construct a coherent logical argument, or how to commit such an argument to paper. I found the whole article pretty hard to follow, jumping from one idea to the next without any obvious connections between them. I got to the end and thought “huh? What did she actually say there? What was the central point?”

The author is certainly not unintelligent. But she seems to be just weaving together some memes she heard into something that looks like an argument.

5 Likes

It’s all over the place to the point that it’s difficult to critique. She complains about cultural appropriation while discussing her Japanese style fried chicken restaurant. At the start of the piece she says she won’t eat fried chicken, but by the end of the article she will eat it with pride.

1 Like

The Graun has been struggling financially for years. They laid off a lot of good journos a few years ago, and have been increasing the amount of clickbaity tat for years. They do occasionally publish some real journalism, and there’s one or two funny opinion writers, but there’s plenty to ignore.

For the price of a cup of coffee you can help keep one of their journalists in the lifestyle they feel entitled to. Brave and fearless journalism grounded in science and truth.

Where does it say that in the article?

OK, she was ashamed of it.

Because of the way the chickens were treated. I am too; doesn’t stop me eating it, though. :flushed:

English is racist?

"Yet, Boyce-Davies said that they were surprised by the amount of support received by the white faculty of the English Department. "

Well, yeah. Because if they disagreed they’d bevsgouted down as racist and get "cancelled

BLM could decide trees are racist and the woke panderers would agree.

2 Likes

I think this is fine. English Studies is weird. However, I do find it odd how many academics consider gender and sexuality to be part of English Studies, whatever that is. I didn’t realise us limeys were that influential when it comes to the sexy.

It’s about a third of them who focus on gender and sexuality.

I think I would never send my kid or grandkid to Cornell. Surely this is just the tip of the woke iceberg there.

And for what it’s worth, I also think it illustrates the way the frog that is the academy is boiled slowly. Little steps.

I’m amazed that the English are finally being recognised as the sexy beasts we are. It’s been a long time coming, as it were.

1 Like

I’m the idiot. I need to write a thesis about sexuality or gender that people will be scared to critique. Then I’ll get tenure.

4 Likes

been over this already. bacon is racist!

But Ithaca is gorge-ous!

2 Likes

Well the garden could be according to the swamp Marxists at the NYT:
https://www.redstate.com/mike_miller/2020/09/18/mowing-your-yard-just-might-be-racist-america-yep-it-might-be-time-to-decolonize-your-lawn/