The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Here, I sense some divergence in our opinions :frowning:

Do people who are white tend to get away with shit more often than black people, because of skin color? I’d say yes. Have white people globally inherited a lot of wealth thanks to the successful plunder of the rest of the world by Europeans in the second half of the last millennium? Almost certainly. I can understand how one could look at the world and see white privilege.

People always ask me where I’m from, it’s a fun game for me. Apparently if I ask other people this question it is very offensive. If you think white privilege is real, I could challenge your conception of whiteness.

I think white privilege is a social construct which is too widely wielded. There seems to me to be a narrative that forgets slavery in some places and emphasizes it in others. My personal opinion is that all slavery is bad and we should really focus on the people who are actual human slaves now. Do you eat fish?

My personal issue with white privilege is that it has been used against me as a reason for me to not speak. For that reason it is a self-defeating idea and you will be hard pressed to convince me otherwise unless you are brilliant and we are drunk. Further, I think we should look beyond ‘whiteness’ to the real problem which is ‘oppression’. As long as we focus on race, only the racists win, right?

OK, and you also didn’t read the article I shared and later had to quote, so can we agree now I don’t have to read or watch anything you post that I don’t wanna? Because I’m really OK with that, let’s just agree to have the right to skip?

1 Like

I think the process of Redlining and Black people being denied home loans available to whites post war is the most defining systemic limitation, and one that realistically affects lives today in a very real manner. White people were allowed to accrue generational wealth post WW2 by getting loans via the GI bill. Black people were denied these loans. Black neighborhoods had their properties redlined or deemed unsafe by racist developers, so their home values plummeted. Freeways were built in the middle of their neighborhoods.

Real estate is the main field where systemic racism has played out the most, besides the war on drugs and policing.

It’s real in job interviews

In the United States, the majority of people fitting that description are people of color. See: amazon drivers

How? You’re speaking a lot here.

I think its the other way around at the moment, but I think I can convince you white privilege is a real existent thing that affects life trajectories. This is why I fear the types of arguments that PC is a religion etc, they are too quickly used to denigrate ideas of racial equity that are important. (See, just more extremist wank from the far left!)

Only certain people in America have the luxury of NOT being focused on it. If you are denied home loans, more likely to be profiled, have policing issues because of your skin color, then its impossible not to focus on it. What I see more is a pattern of race denials couched in the form of not buying into the PC religion etc. You can see how it slips into that quickly.

No! I haven’t gotten to it yet because we’ve been chatting. Please don’t assume that I’m not reading what you are posting. I still need to watch the video you sent.

I’m not ok with that. If you post something Ill read/watch it and vice versa.

In that case, kindly go back and read the article I posted and the video as well, and get back to me then. Cheers.

I will. Please read what I wrote above about the GI Bill/Redlining in terms of white privilege being an active concept.

:beers:

1 Like

It used to be the American Dream. Now it’s the American Drama where the only way to get ahead in this era of long term economic decline is to play the victim.

The challenge now is to come up with the best victim narrative and push it better and harder than anyone else until payoff time of some sort. The “me too” choices are many currently and limited only by imagination so pick one. You can be a victim of slavery, sexual assault, white privilege, microaggression, systemic racism, misogyny etc. and no one can demand proof or question your narrative because that would be victim blaming.

The only problem is the American Drama is bound to end badly because there are only so many villains to go around – not to mention money – so a lot of people are going to end up going to a lot of trouble for nothing.

At what point have you ever made a good faith effort to understand any of the ideas you criticize? You critique liberalism and american politics all the time, where are you even getting your information from?

This is Fox News. This is American conservativism in 2021. You just defined it to the letter.

Seriously, I believe your ideas would be more palatable if you yourself understood or were any way engaged with the liberal ideas you bash. Know them first. You can’t know what the left is about, you don’t even know their ideas or the basic premises. You clearly have made no attempt at all to read up on or understand liberal ideas at all.

If you have some specific writers/thinkers etc you want to criticize, show some examples. Otherwise these are just platitiudes.

In my case it’s not about trying harder. I just don’t have the codependency gene so I’m never going to play rescuer to any professional victims. They’re on their own as far as I’m concerned.

The idea of codependency may have its roots in the theories of German psychoanalyst Karen Horney. In 1941, she proposed that some people adopt what she termed a “Moving Toward” personality style to overcome their basic anxiety. Essentially, these people move toward others by gaining their approval and affection, and subconsciously control them through their dependent style. They are unselfish, virtuous, martyr-like, faithful, and turn the other cheek despite personal humiliation. Approval from others is more important than respecting themselves.

The term codependency is most often identified with Alcoholics Anonymous and the realization that the Alcoholism was not solely about the addict but also about the family and friends who constitute a network for the alcoholic." The term “codependent” is used to describe how family members and friends might actually interfere with recovery by overhelping."

I don’t speak this doublespeak alt-right net basura, and the sarcasm is tiresome.

Engage with ideas or step off please. You’re not teaching anyone anything here.

You’re not in charge here.

3 Likes

I’m in charge of my own block button now, and that’s about enough. Not here for this stupid back and forth and the mods have repeatedly cautioned against it, so this is my last message on this topic. If you don’t like my ideas hit the button.

lol. jovially, all i see is batman

I have no need to cancel you or your ideas. What you need to realize is you’re not helping people by enabling their self-image as perpetual victims. You’re their jailkeeper.

Yeah, I’m hitting the gong on this here. It’s been a pleasure.

I’m read Camus right now. Will reboot that thread shortly.

2 Likes

Do you live in a American city where there are large communities of color?

I was driving in Albany yesterday and AA guys were crossing the road at will, not in the crosswalks, ignoring traffic. Black privilege??

No

Dunno, sorry

1 Like

There’s always a different POV.

The inevitable pushback seems to be in full swing. Haven’t had a chance to do more than skim it though…looks meh.

3 Likes

I read it. Pretty straightforward and sensible, in my opinion.

Indeed, and those who refuse to acknowledge there is a growing problem here are in fact part of it.

I think what people take issue with is how these kinds of arguments are used reflexively as a way to off ramp from real discussions about white supremacy and undoing its legacy. And a total dog whistle. False equivalencies abound everywhere. And it feeds the idea that white people are vicitms of racism in the same way African Americans have been. Completely a-historical.

No. Sorry. McWhorter can look in a mirror if he wants to see a real racist.