The peak woke thread (Part 1)

Well, we all know that freedom of speech is not absolute, and false information that is harmful (fake info about covid and election stealing, as referenced in your article), seems like it’s at least worth discussing in the context of harmful speech that’s not protected a la Schenck (can’t yell fire in a theatre). I think that covid misinformation fails the more stringent followup to Schenck (Brandenburg?), but election misinformation might possibly be deemed legit. It’s clearly not a slam dunk that this goes against the established limits of free speech. Furthermore, painting this as a Dem attempt at asserting control over online platforms kind of ignores the bit Trump / Republican push at asserting control over online platforms and the repercussions to online speech with the attempt to neuter S230, and I’m not sure why it’s done in this article.

And none of that has anything to do with ‘woke’ imo, never mind “peak woke,” and seems pretty off topic for this thread, so I do wonder (and would love to hear) your thoughts on how that’s just a matter of semantics and how this has anything to do with “woke.”

I don’t even know what you mean there, so no, I don’t know. Help a brother out.

1 Like

And where is the ‘anti-war’ crowd now? They got sucked into the green corporatist agenda and woke madness.
I don’t care about the old ‘right-wingers’ from the scumbag W era…
Most of the Trump base don’t want any wars or foreign intervention. I doubt the old anti-war crowd will be on the streets when Beijing Biden carpet bombs countries in the middle east, just like they gave the fake savior Obama a pass… Already the cells have awoken in ISIS and Al Q. How convenient.

Isn’t the corporatist agenda based around non-green oil money? I think you’re confused about corporate interests in the U.S. and who they represent. Greens are accused of being big government statists if anything, not corporatists.

They’re the same ones in power now, that era hasn’t ended. Trump is a part of the same group.

They’ve kept most of the old wars intact rather nicely, if you look a little closer.

Old anti-war crowd here. I spent a good deal of my time in the streets protesting the Iraq war before during and after. Were you there? And if Biden carpet bombed the middle east–which I really doubt he’ll do–I’d protest that as well.

Read the article.

I did - I know what the article says, I don’t know what you’re saying. What’s “BC as GG writes”? What acronym(?) is BC? I also don’t see anything in the article about Hunter that is “woke.” Like I said, help a brother out.

You have any comments on the rest of what I wrote, and how none of it has anything to do with woke? ;D

1 Like

Sure. It’s mostly a crap post full of steamy supposition presented as gospel. :idunno:

2 Likes

and there’s that peak woke connection

It’s literally presented as it’s worth discussing and it might possibly pass muster; I’m not sure what leap of logic it took for you to conclude that was was presented as gospel, but it must have been an olympian jump.

I think being “woke” is a good thing. It’s akin to being aware of other perspectives and experiences. I’m foin with that. All this other shit is shit.

Trust me, no logic was necessary. I just noted your adjs and advs.

I don’t disagree. We need a better word, and one that sticks. SJW isn’t great either, because what a-hole doesn’t want social justice? McWhorter tried with Elite (we covered this in another thread), but I don’t like that either.

It’s just as good as any other word that means the opposite of ignorant I suppose. I also suppose that if people actually wanted to talk about such vitally deep and important matters they’d simply employ words already in use. :idunno:

What you have now is people making up shit and essentially trying to restart the game based on their view of the rules, which they try and enforce.

One of my PhD classmates was required by her supervisor to use Deleuze, here is some making up of shit. Postmodern French philosophy is simply the worst*, and what we see now is its application in the real world.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/deleuze/

*fun for thought, not for practice

So you just wanted to throw an article into this thread with no relevant comment about its wokeness, and don’t want to engage other than to hurl poop. Neat, and good talk, and have fun hurling your steaming turds.

1 Like

I didn’t read his article, but if we assume it is a steaming turd doesn’t that mean you jumped right in front of it and caught it with your teeth? Because I’m having fun watching, kind of a spectator sport.

Sure, I thought he was posting something that he thought was worth discussing. Lesson learned.

(the article itself wasn’t a steaming turd. he’s tossing it as a steaming turd into the conversation, just for fun, apparently)

1 Like

I don’t have much time for Glenn Greenwald, but don’t forget @Poundsand you’re the one who said we should read things if we want to have an opinion on them (#1619)

Does this mean you agree with the article?

OK, and?

No, it doesn’t mean that - I don’t agree with some of the major premises of the article, but I think the article brings up points worth discussing. I do not think only things I agree with are worthwhile of discussing, nor do I think only things I agree with are not steaming turds. This would have been a given at some point in the not too distant past, and it’s unfortunate that we’re at a point in the political / social discourse that I feel like you’re not yanking my chain asking that.

And finally, and again, I don’t think it has much of anything to do with wokeness. ;D

well, since i’m not going to read it, i’ll bow out for now. cheers

You are mistaken then. YOUR comments and conclusion, along with homers’, are mostly steaming turds. Greenwald is spot on. I’m not going to have a long drawn out with you about why I think it is an example of true wokeness. You clearly don’t have TT on ignore. Read what I said to him about just now and let’s leave it at that. Add to those comments this one: This entire thread is a rip on wokeness and you are being all serious about it.