The People’s Republic of Australia/NZ

A few dozen antivaxxers.

The peasants are revolting!

Any idea what was happening there? Was there some point to the protest?

1 Like

At the start we had a ‘full’ lockdown. However in reality we policed ourselves. Folk started cycling, running, going to the park. It wasn’t like Italy where the cops were out en masse. We had to only go out for thirty minutes a day. But it was self policed. I went to Tesco twice in one day and the cashier said I’d already been in once, so I walked 200 metres to Sainsbury’s instead.

Now you have to wear a mask on public transport in London, but that’s about it. Case numbers are rampant, but hospitalisation is only slightly higher than this time last year. The one thing we did right was to get the gunk in our arms as fast as possible.

1 Like

It’s people like that who make you wonder about the rest of the population. Seems unreal unless you were living it and part of it, I recall talking to someone who said at one point everyone would go out at a certain time and start applauding the NHS, that wasn’t the bit that got me, it was this one guy who apparently was out with pots banging them as loud as he could. It’s like WTF.

4 Likes

That’s what you think. Just wait until you start growing back hair and a protruding brow ridge.

At least the UK backed away from forcibly vaccinating people. The Aussies look like they’re going to put some serious pressure on people to get to 80%. Where they got that figure from is anybody’s guess, since ‘herd immunity’ is now widely considered to be impossible.

5 Likes

Thursday night 8pm people were out banging pots and pans for the NHS. Slightly ‘war effort’ in its meaning, but at least we didn’t rip out all our iron gates and throw them into the ocean this time.

A lovely thing was to time an evening run to clash with the clapping. It felt like getting applauded by entire streets just for doing exercise. :grin:

4 Likes

If I de-evolve a little, I’ll be ok with that. :joy:

Just take those side effects on the chin. Oh wait, you won’t have one…

2 Likes

Not sure, If I find out I will post.

Scary for the cops.

Sorry. Just wanted to say this- I shouldn’t have replied to the OP or made any other replies.
Hard as it may be to believe, I’m not always the laid-back easy-going mellow fellow I appear to be on Forumosa. Sometimes I get angry, and some of those things I get angry about are related to Covid. If I expressed my feelings honestly about posters and posts I would probably get banned. Therefore I try-with varying degrees of success- not to post on any forum related to Covid, including this one. Obviously I slipped this time.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with getting angry. But if you’re angry about something in particular, why not explain why you’re angry?

I get regularly criticized here for going into long explanations for my anger. Perhaps people would feel happier if I posted nonsensical hit-and-runs or rowlandesque one-liners; I guess I could then be dropped neatly into a box labelled “conspiracy theorist” or somesuch, and forgotten about. But I do this in the (forlorn) hope that people will be prompted to have a think about the source of their own anger and discuss it. IMO, your initial response made no sense at all. But presumably it made sense to you. Writing it out longhand is an excellent way of getting your own thoughts straight, and people will be more willing to take you seriously (with the exception of those with a short attention span, I suppose).

4 Likes

I’ve not noticed you getting angry. You often seem a bit rude, which I don’t consider a problem. Is the slightly arch tone a sign of you being angry?

A trucker:

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: From Peoples Republic of Australia

One of the commenters hints that the government may react by playing a very dangerous game of chicken, ie., just waiting for a day or three until stocks in the shops begin to run low and the populace (hypothetically) become afraid for their safety and beg the truck drivers to call it off.

It’d be a Pyrrhic victory of course. If that happened, everyone (except the completely brainwashed) would realise that the gov’t couldn’t care less if they live or die.

Anyway, it’s going to be an interesting show to watch … if the truckers really do it.

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: From Peoples Republic of Australia

I’m guessing this poor guy committed the unforgivable offense of stepping outside.

2 Likes

It’s very easy to edit a video to put people in a bad light. The cop is using a dangerous chokehold though .

Just to weigh in, discussions about coronavirus are probably better in the coronavirus threads, this is more about the proportionality of the Australian (NZ and others) to deal with coronavirus.

Personally I saw NZ just close down the entire country because they found one case and 4 more they directly linked to it, I find that a unreasonable disproportionate response to the threat. I would have argued there were alternative wiser measures they could have taken.

6 Likes