The Photography Gear G.A.S. thread

Still no listing on the EOS RP?

I find that a DSLR is too heavy to carry around when traveling and I have a Canon G5X but it’s limited without being able to change lenses. It is a great small camera though.

So I guess a full frame mirrorless camera would be ideal??

@IbisWtf do you own a mirrorless camera?
What are the drawbacks from a mirrorless over a DSRL? Besides the expensive lenses because canon adds in that adapter ring to let you use DSLR lenses.

Also @IbisWtf do know any FB groups where people sell cameras?

I heard the EOS RP is shit for video because it can’t do 24FPS only 30 and 60 FPS. I don’t do any video though!

No listing yet in Taiwan, I think it will take a while.

I have an M50 that I use as daily camera, Eos-M lenses are a joy to use, fairly cheap and compact. Not a large selection, but they cover pretty much everything.
Pana/Oly have much better lens selection, though the sensor is much smaller.
Apart from cameras that cost a lot of money, most mirrorless cameras tend to struggle with focus tracking (especially of subjects moving back and forth), battery duration can be problematic and the electronic viewfinder can take a while to get used to. Also, most EVFs have a bit of lag between shots, which can be anything from “slightly annoying” to “Wtf is this piece of trash”. The only full frame mirrorless that is currently ok to take sport photos costs 4500$ body only, feelsbadman.

For full frame mirrorless the current/incoming options are only Sony, Nikon, Canon and Panasonic. The Panasonic’s value looks terrible to me, way overpriced for what it offers and even the 3 lenses were priced by an idiot. I hate Sony menus and colors so it’s not a brand I’d ever consider using again unless they start using Canon sensors and steal Canon’s menus and ergonomics.
Nikon Z cameras are pretty good, but lens selection and price is currently less than ideal. They’re building a whole new system like Canon, so it takes time.

The original R has an overpriced body, I’m not a huge fan of that camera. The RP is much more interesting. Not many native lenses available yet, but if I had an R camera I’d immediately buy the 35mm f1.8 macro (looks like in Japan it will be sold as a kit, lucky Nippon people), then wait for the 24-240 that will be released later this year as a walkaround/travel lens. The only expensive lens I’d put on my wishlist is the 50 f1.2 because it’s absolutely bonkers.

Eventually they’ll also release a cheaper ultra wide lens. This year there will be the 15-35 f2.8 L which I expect to cost 2500+us$, so for an f4 or variable UWA we’ll have to wait. I also think it shouldn’t take long before they release a 70-300 lens, it’s a staple in any system.

I’ve seen some videos mentioning the lack of 24fps and I’m blown away for two reasons:

1. Why did Canon leave that option out? It’s not like it’s a technical limitation or something. Maybe it takes a firmware update?
  2. We live in the age were every youtuber and his mother DEMANDS 4k 60fps with in body image stabilization + lens stabilization…and they complain about the lack of 24fps ?__?

I’m not a video guy, though. If I had to make money from videos I’d probably use an Atmos external monitor for recording. Since I rarely shoot video and only for fun, as long as a camera body has good af I’m good to go.

For all brands, this is the best group in Taiwan: https://www.facebook.com/groups/alan2h/?ref=bookmarks

If you need things specifically for one camera brand, then it may be better to check Fb groups regarding that brand. Usually if you type “(brand)二手” you can easily find them.

Currently the problem for both Canon and Nikon full frame mirrorless systems is that if you buy into it you’re basically an early adopter, which means you get to pay full price for pretty much everything with little to no hope of finding second hand gear. It can be a bit harsh on the wallet and new lenses/bodies are bound to come out at a quick pace.

1 Like

How do you find the AF on the M50? It was a deal breaker on the original EOS M, but I’ve heard things have much improved. Thinking of getting an M6 as I already have a few lenses.

Is this the Panasonic Lumix G9?

M50 seems to be a tiny bit bigger but does a lot more than my G5X and you can put more lenses on it which is great.

It’s shockingly good compared to the original one. I had the first M for a few months because people were selling it second hand for basically nothing so I thought what the heck, why not. The photos were great but the autofocus was unbelievably slow. I myself decided to sell it because one day i was trying to take a photo of a guard dog playing with me in plain daylight and the bloody M couldn’t focus at all. I had to use my cheap smartphone to get the shot -___-

M5 / M6 and M50 all have much better af, both for photos and videos. I would have bought the M6 because for my daily camera I don’t really need a viewfinder and i liked the fact that it has an extra dial, but I much prefer the flippy screen of the M50. I got the white one, so that every little scratch looks 10 times more visible. Yay me.
I rarely use the 15-45 but it’s not complete trash. The 22mm f2 is a must have. The new 32 f1.4 is a bit pricey for me, though from all the reviews it looks great. As a general use focal length i still prefer 22mm on aps-c, and it’s tiny and cheap.

@Zapman : the G9 is Panasonic’s sport camera with M43 sensor. I’ve never tried it but it’s a pretty good camera. The small sensor can be problematic in low light. The new Panasonic full frame cameras are S1 and S1r, not on the market yet.

1 Like

What is the upgrade over the Canon M50 in the same size of camera?

Lol it’s your time to shine! Answering all of our dumb questions lol :laughing:

Good to hear. I think I will probably pull the trigger on the M6.

I actually don’t like the fully articulating screens, and I don’t need a viewfinder either, so the simple flip-up screen on the M6 is perfect for me. I really love the feel of the dials on my Oly though, so the creaky Canon dials will take some getting used to.

Yeah, that’s a great little lens. It’s the main reason I’m thinking of getting a new M body. I think I’ll skip the 15-45, unless there’s some compelling reason to get it (better IS?).

Why is the 15-45 shit in your opinion?

Is it better to buy an 18-150?

No real upgrade right now. The M5 and M6 are supposed to be better, but the M50 has some features that the M5/6 lack (newer processor, flippy screen, 4k video) and it was priced very aggressively, so it became a very good seller for Canon. In Nippoland it was (is?) the best selling mirrorless of all for a few months in a row.

There are rumors of an M5 markII which is supposed to be the new “flagship aps-c” model, but they’re only rumors now.

@Dr_Milker I think the only benefit from having the kit lens is that 15mm is fairly useful, so especially for daytime use it can help take photos that you wouldn’t take with most other lenses. The aperture is pretty atrocious though, it’s like f32 or something, you need to be close to the detonation of a Tsar bomb to use it properly.

@Zapman the 15-45 has useful focal range and decent stabilization. The optical quality is not very good, though. It’s far outclassed by the 11-22mm (great lens, very sharp). The aperture is also very slow, I think it’s f6.3 at 45mm, wtf…

I already have the 18-55, so no big loss.

Is the stabilization an improvement over the 18-55? I actually find the 18-55 surprisingly sharp for a kit lens, and I don’t mind the fuzziness around the edges.

I don’t know… I’ve never used the 18-55, and I use the 15-45 so rarely that I don’t even pay attention to its stabilization 8(

Cool. Sounds like I’ll just be getting the body…unless I can get the kit for the same price.

The cheapest prices I’ve seen from stores are 11400 from the m6 body only and 13900 with the 15-45. If these were the prices when I got the m50 last year, i would have bought the M6 body only, that’s a great price.

Just saw it under 11,000 online, so yeah, pretty good price.

I read on this website the Canon EOS RP will be released February 27th. It also had some mind boggling prices.
The Canon EOS RP release date will be 27 February 2019. The Canon EOS RP price tag will start at £1,399.99/€1,629.99 for the camera body only plus the EF-EOS R Mount Adapter.

The Canon EOS RP price tag then rises according to various lens kits Canon will be offering, which include:

• Canon EOS RP with RF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM and Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £2,329.99/€2,729.99
  • Canon EOS RP with EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £1,599.98 (save £215.00) / €1,889.98 (save €240.00)*
  • Canon EOS RP with RF 35 f/1.8 and Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £1,799.98 (save £120.00) / €2,129.98 (save €100.00)*
  • Canon EOS RP with EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM and Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £1,999.98 (save £200.00) / €2,369.98 (save €220.00)*

Those are the joys of taxes in Europe/Uk. In Canada it’s probably going to cost like a small apartment.
The official prices in Taiwan are usually the US price x3 with some very small adjustments. Imported stuff arrives later and at a price that is usually 10/15% lower for new products.

B&H is selling the RP body only for 1299$, so I’d expect the regular price in Taiwan to be around 40000nt, maybe 45k tops if they really want to squeeze as much as they can from early adopters.

So what is between a Canon M50 and a Canon EOS RP?
40k for a body is a lot… feelsbatman