The Photography Gear G.A.S. thread

https://tw.canon/zh_TW/consumer/20190226-ICP-EOS-RP/news?utm_source=Facebook_PicSee&fbclid=IwAR0Sl1oLFcTVYsUrLxVBJKtySf3GMNXvdB_ADZW8bVfuExywkRqPWd1IqEE

Here’s the official presentation by Canon Taiwan, with the prices for the 3 kits. Selling my M50 + lenses I’d have to add roughly 25000 thousands to get the kit with the 35mm lens…
So damn tempting.

How much bigger is it than the M50 to carry around?

Looks pretty big in their hands

EOS RP: 132.5 × 85.0 × 70.0mm | 440g
EOS M50: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7mm | 387g

That thing is pretty damn bulky for a mirrorless camera. It looks more like a DSLR.

it’s the smallest full frame mirrorless ever x___x i don’t know how much more they can cut without impacting the handling. They reduced the size so much that they introduced an optional grip because they know some people will complain about the body being too small.

Really? It looks bigger than the Sony A7 to me. Or maybe it’s just much uglier. :grin:

I went to my favorite store to buy a new flash today and they still didn’t have the RP available for playing around. i’m curious to see how it handles, it’s so tiny and light.

Thanks for confirming…it’s just much uglier. :sunglasses:

That’s really light though, which is much more important.

Sorry to interrupt, but I thought this would be a good place for my question.

I want something to attach my Nikon DLSR’s to my microscope. All the decent looking solutions are pricey, and I have narrowed them down to these. what should I buy? What are the differences? today I’m feeling slow and I need help with this :stuck_out_tongue:

The latter looks better, more solid, but maybe there are other differences I’m missing.

EDIT: I wanted to ask @Explant about this… I know you have something like this too.

I don’t know how to help you…but you could buy this:

A reusable lens with interchangeable front cover! Stop living in the past and buy one!

Ill post a pic of mine, but i cheaped out. The problem i had first time was it just basically fixes onto the eye peice of the scope but i put it too far down. When the mirror inside the camera flipped it hit the eye peice. I took a few pics before realizing and scratched it all up.

Ots just a real simple adapter that has a mount for the camera body.

Im out of town today working, will get pics tonight and shoq the one i got (the one not to buy haha)

But I think we can all agree that Masala should buy that Gizmon Utulens, right?

Is that a extreme pancake lens?

Maybe, or maybe not. It showed up on Facebook, I don’t know much about it but I checked the link because it looked hilarious.

But I know one thing: Canon, Nikon and all the rest of the mainstream camera industry don’t offer a REUSABLE lens. It took a small indie lens manufacturer to finally give us what we have been demanding for decades.

And there’s one more thing we can assume to be an absolute truth: that Gitzman Ukulele or whatever it’s called, is what would allow you to step up and push your photography past the edges of the next level.

What big corporations don’t want you to hear about!

Going back to the original question… do you guys think that first adapter is well machined? it looks like the corner is rounded, which makes me think it won’t sit perfectly on the microscope.

also, the second one is bigger and longer… why? is that better? is that why it says it gives you 2x, and perhaps the other one is only 1x?

1 Like

Looking at your 2 links. In my opinion they both look terrible. Not that mine is good haha!

First thing that popped out was the eye peice mount appears to be a single size that is non adjustable. Meaning if your scope has some different sized outer rim it might not fit. I know there is a standard size, but not all…measure yours first. If it does fit, then awesome as it wont slide too far into your camera body and f up your mirror like mine did.

The other issue i have is you dont want any magnification in the adapter. They will be shit quality. Truly. If there is glass lens, plastic even, between the scope and camera body all i see is loss in quality. The microscope is the lens, so no need for glass in the middle. Seems ultra weird.

That all said. With ones that have adjustable eye peice mount, it is not air tight and causes 2 issues. First is dust getting in. Mine is terrible for this so i only use old bodies.

Second is light. So i make a simple black blanket for light and use the microscope jacket thing overtop if im taking a break to limit dust.

Damn. My adapter isnt in my microscope box and i cant find it anywhere…shit. I might be looking for a new one now as well.

Google things there are some great toys. Like a mount for a microscope lense, which makes it all portable…too cool!
images(4)

images(5)

Reminds me. Depending what youre photographing. Extension tubes. The microscope mount i really only used for small seed, pollen and spore use. And the depth of field is ultra thin, so stacking software was needed. Extension tubes are like the middle ground between macro photography and microscopy. I cheaped out to try so those simple tubes use only manual focus. Now that my eyesight isnt at a 20 year olds level i might like the autofocus tubes. Im a tech dinosaur so when i was buying all this 10 years ago the good one was i think 300usd and the one i bought was 40ish. Served the same purpose though. Be aware of dust again. Inside the tube.

https://www.bigcamera.com.tw/goods_view.php?no=5389

https://www.bigcamera.com.tw/goods_view.php?no=5390

Panasonic’s S1 is not exactly cheap. The S1R is an extra 40k for each kit.

Not really gear related, but if anyone is looking for a job, Best Korea has a vacancy for a photographer.