The Pinglin highway that will pollute the water

On the way out there, we drove to pinglin from Mucha, actually, however on the way back, we drove to shiding from Ruifang, as the other routes were too danm blocked.

I recall being onthe #5 several years ago the first time, think it was in 2002 or so, and I know it was there in 2003.

From the article:

[quote]

Traffic can now officially use the road, but the numbers are officially limited to 4,000 cars per day – buses and trucks are still banned from using the ramp.

As for who’s counting, well, that appears to be another matter entirely.

A report that appeared in a local Chinese-language paper last week said that on one day over 10,000 cars made use of the Pinglin interchange. When the Taipei Times visited the spot last week and inquired as to who counts the cars we were informed by a rather beleaguered security guard manning a checkpoint “it’s not my job to count cars” and that “the job was done at the Pinglin Interchange Administration building.”

Enquiries at the administration center in regard the counting of cars led to another dead end. We were told by another security guard, “There’s nobody in the building.”

So it seems that three years of bickering both for and against the opening of the Pinglin interchange boils down to the simple fact that, with the exception of vote-hungry politicians, nobody really seems to care who uses the road and who doesn’t.[/quote]

Don’t you just love Taiwan? :laughing:

Well, someone made the decision that since the freeway was there, they could just as well start getting some cars on it. Makes a fair bit of sense in my book.

While it might lead to additional traffic to Pinglin, then I think that most others did what we did and drove straight on to Yilan.

[quote=“Mr He”]Well, someone made the decision that since the freeway was there, they could just as well start getting some cars on it. Makes a fair bit of sense in my book.

While it might lead to additional traffic to Pinglin, then I think that most others did what we did and drove straight on to Yilan.[/quote]

What? You drove onto Ilan on the 5 or the 9?

Let me try again:

What is the farthest distance a person can go now on the #5 if he gets on at the Shiding interchange? Mileage not necessary, place names will do.

Has that distance changed recently or have only access points changed or only access rules?

[quote=“seeker4”]Let me try again:

What is the farthest distance a person can go now on the #5 if he gets on at the Shiding interchange? Mileage not necessary, place names will do.

Has that distance changed recently or have only access points changed or only access rules?[/quote]

I believe you can go from Shiding only to Pinglin. By the end of the year you should be able to go all the way to Ilan (well, Toucheng in Ilan county). But the highway does not start at Shiding, it starts off the number 3 around Shiji. So right now you can go from the exit on the number 3 to Pinglin.

Yeah, that’s what I needed. Freeway #3 entrance to #5 and goes to Pinglin. Thanks.

Nono, I got off in Pinglin, however I did not wste any time there, but got on the old road for a harrowing blind corner overtaking ride to Yilan, or rather to Toucheng.

The freeway engineering bureau’s website says that Freeway 5 will be open from Shihting all the way to Suao by the beginning of next year.

That gives them 2 months…

OK, my bet is that they will manage to get it open at least to Toucheng around CNY, after all everything is delayed aroudn here.

[quote=“Mr He”]That gives them 2 months…

OK, my bet is that they will manage to get it open at least to Toucheng around CNY, after all everything is delayed aroudn here.[/quote]

It’s already about 10 years delayed. What’s a few more months?

[quote=“seeker4”]
Yeah, that’s what I needed. [/quote]

I’m as good as a shot of coffee.