The Pitfalls of Religious Life in Taiwan

recently, i got back into attending church every week. i think it keeps my weeks in sync and starts my new week off right. but there are problems in having a spiritual life here:

1.my wife (a non church goer) says it: in taiwan churches are full of rejects. the church has a naturally low bar for acceptance (come as you are ,God loves you). this makes it a haven for people who are sometimes rightfully social rejects. people who have no friends because they’re, quite frankly,… weird. or busybodies who love to gossip. another side is lots of old people. love old people, but i’m not there yet.

2.politics:
Baptist churches are traditionally filled with old guys from chiang kai chek’s regime. KMT. wai sheng. pro unification. not an issue with me, but i hate politics.

presbyterian church- is actually the mother of the DPP. pro taiwan. pro “han ji”. not an issue with me, except they’re a little too forgiving of han ji. i hate politics anyway.

1. lights, bells, and whistles:
    i like ling liang tang. i think they will break the grip of dao jiao on young people. they are a forward moving church and their momentum is growing. baptists could learn from them since baptists in taiwan have a giant stick up their … . but i sometimes wonder when i see this stuff- “where’s the beef”. substance. sustanence. i hope they’re doing both.

2. catholics: don’t know much about taiwan catholics. the only priest i met had a real icky handshake.

all i wanted to say. your comments.

Bugs Bunny? Tweety? Elmer Fudd?

http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/looney.wav

I’m sure, given the %age of Taiwan that are church goers that your political summary is probably a tad overstated. If you want to go, go but I wouldn’t expect meaningful discourse about it here.

When I went once to the babtist church in Hsinchu, I didn’t have that impression. Nice people, lots of kids. But I only went there once.

hsin chu is totally different. they’ll be similar to churches in the US. their “market” is 30 somethings with kids.

I’m not sure where the OP is from, but I thought that churches everywhere were filled with social rejects and people with political agendas, or maybe I just grew up going to the special church. I haven’t stepped foot in a church since I’ve been here, however I have been sentenced to marriage and am starting to shop around for a place to have a ceremony.

[quote=“theposter”]recently, i got back into attending church every week. i think it keeps my weeks in sync and starts my new week off right. but there are problems in having a spiritual life here:

[color=darkred]1.my wife (a non church goer) says it: in taiwan churches are full of rejects. the church has a naturally low bar for acceptance (come as you are ,God loves you). this makes it a haven for people who are sometimes rightfully social rejects. people who have no friends because they’re, quite frankly,… weird. or busybodies who love to gossip. another side is lots of old people. love old people, but i’m not there yet.[/color]

[color=green][b]2.politics:
Baptist churches are traditionally filled with old guys from chiang kai chek’s regime. KMT. wai sheng. pro unification. not an issue with me, but i hate politics.

presbyterian church- is actually the mother of the DPP. pro taiwan. pro “han ji”. not an issue with me, except they’re a little too forgiving of han ji. i hate politics anyway.[/b][/color]

1. lights, bells, and whistles:
    i like ling liang tang. i think they will break the grip of dao jiao on young people. they are a forward moving church and their momentum is growing. baptists could learn from them since baptists in taiwan have a giant stick up their … . but i sometimes wonder when i see this stuff- [color=blue]“where’s the beef”. substance[/color]. sustanence. i hope they’re doing both.

2. catholics: don’t know much about taiwan catholics. the only priest i met had a real icky handshake.

all i wanted to say. your comments.[/quote]

You say you are going back to church because you want a spiritual life and you like the feeling it gives you for starting a new week. That’s fine and dandy.

But, then you go on to gripe about what Taiwan has to offer for Christian believing denominations. Your first gripe was your wife. Forget about the stuff about rejects, weirdos and old people. Your real problem, as you stated, is your wife’s disapproval. Please clarify, because I don’t want to assume. Do you mean that your wife is afraid of the social stigma that will be given to you for hanging out at church? That her social and familial circle views Christian churches as havens for degenerates and rejects, and as such will label you that as well? If this is the case, you need to have a serious heart to heart with your wife about your needs and your belief system. Last time I checked church wasn’t a place that you went to for social praise or popularity - it was a place you go to show humility, find spirituality, and worship.

Then you go on to talk about politics. What does it matter? So what,. Are you afraid that the church you chose to go to is going to affect your political standing? Most Christian churches are conservative in their beliefs and a lot have political agendas. You just need to surface above that and stick true to your real purpose for attending. No one will force you to mingle and schmooze with people of the opposite political spectrum.

Finally, you ask where the beef is. I take this to mean sermons, talks, etc. Because truly the beef is to be found through personal worship, study, and setting spiritual goals for yourself. If you are waiting for a third party to step in and hand feed you “the beef” you will never be satisfied. My advice to you is, if you don’t have a denominational allegiance or preference…pick the church that best fits your schedule, personal spiritual beliefs, and sense of comfort. Then stick with that.

Remember that religion or church isn’t a club…its a place to show humility and worship.

Why does it need to be broken? What is wrong with dao jiao? If it gives peace and contentment to people, surely that’s enough. I don’t see any wars or terrorist actions being committed in the name of dao jiao - as far as I’m concerned that’s a big plus.

Stop me, Oh Lord, before I hurt someone’s feelings. :laughing:

Stop me, Oh Lord, before I hurt someone’s feelings. :laughing:[/quote]

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen

god is a myth.

all of them.

you don’t need the church to survive, the church needs you to survive.

dumas: who says you need a church to get married? here you don’t even need a celebrant. do it on the beach, or in a balloon, or at the zoo, or on a mountaintop.

theposter -
This thread should provide ample fodder for 3 maybe 4 days worth of posting abuse at you, churches, Christianity, organized religion and the “Bush is evil” regulars.

Good job as always… :bravo:

Taiwan is a mostly Buddhists/Taoists, and there are quite a few non-religious people here too. It makes the pickin’s for Christian churches somewhat slim, I’m afraid, especially in a backwater like Chiayi…

I think people here become Christian because it makes them more “Western”. Its like getting a certificate, except that they don’t know anything about the religion they subscribed to, like who Jesus is etc.

I dare anyone here to challenge a local Christian and I think you’ll find them woefully ignorant. (Based on personal experience, not a scientific field study)

I’ve met local people who call themselves Christians, but they have strange ideas about their adopted religion. More than one person has become afraid of entering or even passing close to Buddhist/Taoist temples as a result, having gained odd superstitious beliefs about supposed evil spirits that inhabit them, which are not part of Christianity as I understand it.

I blame George Bush. He’s evil.

european missionaries here have been ‘educating’ the locals for many hundreds of years… i think that most christians here are in the east and south in areas with many aboriginal ties.

who knows the motivations of people who adopt christianity? i think that ‘being more western’ is perhaps only one reason of many for the switch. maybe they just don’t like burning paper?

Heh. I almost learned how to use the quote function for this one. Where’s the popcorn emoticon thingy?

I blame Scottish people. They’re smelly. Except for people from Fife.

Blaming the Church or God is like an English Teacher In Taiwan complaining about what he has to work with. “Get on With It!”
It’s all down to what one uses from one’s own erudition & intuition.

Mine tells me that humans are mainly empty vessels seeking safe haven.
Ugly bags of mostly water with a puny brain perched in a fragile shell. Same with our hearts & egoes, for the most part.

Give it a name, if it makes you feel better.