The Podcast Thread

I love reply all. they also just advertised a Qanon special. looking forward to it

Try “The Daily Smile”, then.
I get a feeling that you’ll like it.

Here’s my list:

History
BBC In our time
BBC History of the world in 1000 objects
Zeitsprung Geschichten aus der Geschichte

Crime and Spooky
Verbrechen aus der Vergangenheit
Verbrechen von Nebenan
That’s why we drink
Zeit Verbrechen
Astonishing Legends
Haunted Places

Queer
The transgender Scientist
How to be a girl

Religion
Frithcast
Unter Pfarrerstöchtern

Misc
Podcast ohne richtigen Namen
Düt und Dat OP Platt
Hör mal‘n beten to
BBC global news
Well, there’s your problem. An engineering podcast with slides.

3 Likes

If you guys are following the podcast trends, you probably already heard about this one, as it’s in the top 10 of most downloaded podcasts and even lead to list for a while.

If not, let me share it with you, then:
The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz) https://pt.player.fm/series/the-bible-in-a-year-with-fr-mike-schmitz

The idea is to go through the Bible in 365 days, and each episode includes a commentary at the end. They are also reading it in a chronological way, so it’s a more dynamical approach.

3 Likes

Looks interesting

1 Like

Wow, looks like a lot of Bible! Will give it a look.

1 Like

There’s a similar podcast in german. “Unter Pfarrerstöchtern”. The hosts are Sabine Rückert, deputy editor in chief of Die Zeit and Johanna Haberer, Professor of Theology at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg.

McWhorter is probably my favorite pop linguist - his podcast really is good.

1 Like

once upon a time i paid attention to joe rogan and sam harris (or at least, would listen to some of their guests). these days i mostly just listen to Big Think on youtube (not all videos, but that’s my go-to ‘podcast’)

Dan Carlin podcasts are really good. His voice and style is really intriguing and riveting. I’ve never heard anything like his style on radio.

Supernova in the East

• Podcast series about WWII, makes you feel like you were in middle of it. Learned a lot.

King of Kings

• Podcast series following great kings throughout history, just started it and also really good.
2 Likes

Just finished episode 3 Dan Carlin Hardcore History, Kings of Kings.

He’s a great narrator and dramatist.

4 Likes

Yes! Hardcore History is the best! It’s a shame Dan only releases a new episode once a year now. His episodes are always like 4 hours, but I’d rather he release 4 new 1 hour episodes than 1 new 4 hour episode. But I get he’s a perfectionist.

My favorite series is ‘Blueprint to Armageddon’ about World War 1. The current one (which has been running for 3 years now and is still only on episode 4 or 5) about the Pacific War with Japan is also very good.

2 Likes

Heck, even at one episode a year I have trouble keeping up. They’re fantastic, but four hours is … long. I’ll listen to an hour, and not get around to the second hour for a month or so, and by then I’ll have forgotten the first hour, so I’ll relisten to that …

He’s got a big archive, most of which is I believe no longer on the podcast feed - I think you can buy downloads at his website. And they’re definitely worth a few dollars. His shows are better than most audiobooks I’ve listened to, because he writes to be heard, whereas audiobooks were written to be read. Um, does that make sense?

1 Like

Dan Carlin’s thought processes are so intriguing I’ve listened to the first 20 minutes of this podcast 3 times before moving on.

He just brings so many things together even though it’s a Celtic topic he brings in
Native Americans and Gaul and so many interesting ideas and concepts and what ifs.

2 Likes

The only difficult thing about the podcast (besides each episode being 4-6 hours) is you REALLY have to listen. Most podcasts I put on while I do other chores like cleaning my house or going shopping and that’s fine. With Dan, you really need to devote your whole attention to what he’s saying or you’ll miss important details he’ll come back to later.

2 Likes

Just starting, should keep me busy for a while.

The one about the Munster rebellion is tremendous.

1 Like

Boy that was a briefly terrifying thing to read by scanning. “WTF, I stop paying attention to international politics for a week, and THIS happens?!”

You’ll never believe the end!

Hey, spoilers. I think I’m only at 1933 or so in that one. But I’ll probably have to start it over yet again because I’ve forgotten it all.

1 Like

Word of advice: don’t try to listen to part 5 when eating steak.