The Pope and China

Religion, atheism, nationalism, it’s all a question of belief and practice – trees and fruit.

Are you comparing the central tenants of a religion to something that’s not even technically something that’s written in scripture. I believe the 7 deadly sins are more of a Catholic thing, I’m not certain. But it would be like asking a Christian the 10 Commandments.

“Thou shalt not spill thy seed” and “thou shalt not use a prophylactic device when knowing a woman” are not in the 10 C’s, yet the Vatican experts have found them to be dogmatic anyway (Onan and all that), yet the average Catholic may not be aware of this or even care. (Awareness of the condom part seems to be fairly high because it’s in the news every now and then. I’m not aware of scientific surveys of what ordinary Catholics think of the other part.)

Does that mean I know Mr. Catholic’s religion better than he does? Perhaps, at a technical level. And perhaps I have a point when I say, if you say you want the law to conform with your religion then you should know that you’re asking for this, that and the other thing (not just a ban on same-sex marriage).

On the other hand, if I’ve never been a practicing Catholic (not saying I have or haven’t) or even moved in those circles, then I don’t have the real world experience that Mr. Catholic has and am not in such a good position to tell him what he (actually) believes.

Now I feel like we’ve been through this before, so I might as well link it. :slight_smile: