The Post-Pelosi Chinese Aggression Thread

I don’t think I’m knowledgeable enough about foreign relations to take a side on this. But my lizard brain says screw the CCP, and my dad-brain says why unnecessarily stir the pot.

On this, both brains agree.

2 Likes

If I remember right, it’s questionable that he said this.

I imagine the sentiment was there.

Listening to this now:
https://www.cato.org/multimedia/power-problems/restraint-coalition-strategy-toward-china

Boston University’s Joshua Shifrinson weighs in on a new critique of the restraint school in U.S. foreign policy debates and explains why the strategy proposed by some liberal internationalists to confront a rising China — a strategy he terms “neo‐​primacy” — is bound to fail.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust anything in Bolton’s book.

3 Likes

Given what’s come out of the 1/6 book report, I wouldn’t say it’s not somewhat accurate. Trump’s mouthy dismissals seem to be second nature.

She also staged the hug-a-chinese-person-a-thon” to protest the fact that some people were critical of China because Covid-19 started in China and the CCP lied about it.

I don’t get why there are people asking why Pelosi is in Taiwan. China has been making threats to the US maintaining the status quo since the status was quoed. They made threats against weapons sells too. Should the US hold off selling Taiwan weapons as well? The more the US backs down because of these threats, the more it signals China it is ok to start a war and advance towards the second island chain. As the leader of the house, Pelosi’s the perfect candidate to make the visit.

7 Likes

Definitely not, but they have a clear practical purpose.

1 Like

I think most people here agree that backing down would have been the wrong play. The question is whether it was wise for a current Speaker of the House to come to Taiwan in the first place.

3 Likes

The US has not been backing down. The US has been squeezing China, like a lot. So much that they moved their fentanyl production to Mexico. There was zero reason for Pelosi to show up here on her maybe goodbye tour.

1 Like

An added bonus: it’s probably her last hurrah. :salute:

1 Like

I still think she’s there to find a Chinese girl with green eyes so she can become immortal.

2 Likes

Still using the old ‘democracy’ line like they have for decades in countless overthrows and interventions.

Happy birthday Mr. Cake!

1 Like
1 Like

Question is: will Taiwan place ships and such within territorial waters in those zones?
I’m going to guess not.
And also going to guess that PLA ships don’t actually enter the waters, that’s just the possible landing area of munitions.

Worth noting that in '96 when they conducted missle tests, the missles weren’t actually armed, and that info was sent to Taiwan ahead of time. Something that led to the execution of a PLA officer who leaked the info.

1 Like

“…would qualify for the UN definition of state aggression.”

But will the UN do anything?

1 Like

Nah cause China can veto anything, and secondly Taiwan isn’t recognized by the UN

The one near xiaoliuqiu is ridiculous. No way they let that fly. Others maybe maybe not but my money is still on not letting them enter sovereign waters.

Finally, he is going to eat himself!

3 Likes