The potato salad tastes off and other foibles- Manners and Etiquette

There is a very nice chain breakfast store in our neighborhood that is really a cut above the rest. We’re a large family and we go there for a lot of meals. If he’s making the soup or the salad, he’ll even send some to the table gratis.
Very nice guy.
Today, for takeout we got their signature potato salad ball. We usually getit.
Today, the kids said, it tasted sour. I tasted it. Indeed. Different mayonnaise or, the batch got a little old.
What would you do?
Being brave, I just collected the balls from the kids and dumped them in the trash.
My strategy is to avoid the product for week or so and try again later. Hopefully someone else will be brave.

Actually potato salad should be a little sour, not sweet. With sour I mean ‘good’ sour, not bad sour, there is a difference. But in Taiwan they use sweet mayo to make it.

2 Likes

To me and the kids it tasted different.
Maybe they switched. Since my communication skills are not the best and I don’t want to offend anyone, I’ll avoid the product for a few days or until I see other patrons eating it. Then I’ll get some and if it tastes different, make a remark about it.
My son said it had a sour raisiny taste. This potato ball is usually garnished with raisins.
It’s a regular side for the set meals. I’m overly cautious with anything that tastes different due to bad experiences.
What mayo would you use? Is it available in TW? We use Hellmans.

Real Mayonnaise, Hellmans, but adapted.

the solution is to make your own.

look, taiwan is a great place but some types of food they just don’t know what to do with.

fruit in sandwiches. corn flakes where they shouldn’t be. pasta with watery sauce. raisins in potato salad… its out of wack.

buy some real mayonnaise and make your own. i even saw new potatoes in quan lian recently so theres no excuse not to.

6 Likes

And potato salad usually doesn’t have raisins or corn.

2 Likes

They’re serving Nipponese-style potato salad.
It’s made with mashed potatoes rather than cubed, like in the West.
That’s why it can be served in an ice cream scoop.
And yeah, it usually has the fried rice type mixed vegetables in it.

Anyways, I really don’t understand why you wouldn’t say something to the dude, especially if you go there regularly,
Do you think he wants to serve food that’s gone over???

1 Like

Because I don’t like the urgent OMG way people go about it when you make the smallest criticism or suggestion.
Perhaps it’s my limited vocabulary or I was Just effing tired and grumpy and wanted to move on.
It was take out anyway.
Next day: It looks like someone told the dude.
It was a side in my daughter’s breakfast and it was as good as ever.
What would be the proper thing to say in Chinese? Something like your potato salad 薯泥球 tastes a different today.

1 Like