The Presidential Election Result

Anywhere to follow the result online?

The various cable news channels are putting up widely varying numbers, but more of them have the pan-blues ahead than otherwise, and by a comfortable margin in several.

I don’t think there’s very much room left to doubt that black gold and regression are on the verge of a catastrophic triumph over democracy and reform.

Different TV channels have totally different numbers

Who’s right?

Hey Brian,

The official tally is at

president2004.nat.gov.tw/cec/index.php

The site still shows zero. I don’t know where the various TV channels are getting their numbers, or why they’re different.

Damn, you’re right. I was sticking to the same channel which was putting Chen a fair bit ahead. Looks to me that the channels are about 50/50 as to who’s ahead. 3 or 4 channels say Green and 3 or 4 say Blue.

Brian

[quote]The official tally is at

The site still shows zero. I don’t know where the various TV channels are getting their numbers, or why they’re different.[/quote]

I guess that the official result will be when each booth returns their final tallies. Then we’ll get the booths’ results one by one.

One channel is showing them counting the votes at a booth by pulling them out of the box and reading who the vote is for, one by one. Presumably the channels have someone in each booth tallying these results live, which is how we’re getting the results now.

Brian

All the pro-blue channels now have their team well ahead, while the two lone pro-green channels have their team just a whisker in front. If you take the mean, it points clearly to a win by two or so percentage points for Lien and Soong.

I wonder where they’re all getting their numbers?

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]The official tally is at

The site still shows zero. I don’t know where the various TV channels are getting their numbers, or why they’re different.[/quote]

I guess that the official result will be when each booth returns their final tallies. Then we’ll get the booths’ results one by one.

One channel is showing them counting the votes at a booth by pulling them out of the box and reading who the vote is for, one by one. Presumably the channels have someone in each booth tallying these results live, which is how we’re getting the results now.

Brian[/quote]

CNN said they are phoning the numbers in from each counting station

yeah, the channel i’m watching has chen shui bien winning at 51-49%. it’s going to the wire.

The figures are fluctuating quite a lot, but now only one channel has Chen and Lu ahead.

And that is Foromosa TV… which shows them ahead by a consistent 50K

On cti, the lead just switched to green but has now gone back to blue.

Sanli now shows green nosing in front, but Dongsen has blue far ahead.

Wow, TVBS has a difference of just a hundred or so votes out of nearly 9 million tallied!!!

But not any more – the blues have suddenly jumped 20,000 ahead.

They must have just got the latest numbers in from some staunchly pan-blue areas.

ERA now has a difference of a mere 91 votes. It’s incredibly exciting – better even than the rugby world cup final.

[quote]One channel is showing them counting the votes at a booth by pulling them out of the box and reading who the vote is for, one by one. Presumably the channels have someone in each booth tallying these results live, which is how we’re getting the results now.
[/quote]

I was watching them do that at the booth downstairs. Someone actually holds each paper up in full view of anyone who cares to look through the door - a very transparent process, but it’s going to take a long time to get the result. And close as it is, the loser will probably demand a recount. We may not know for days.

I’ve tried to keep out of this on the grounds that it’s none of my business and I’m not really well enough informed to have an opinion, but that little peek was enough to get me all fired up. It brought back memories of counts at elections in the UK, sitting there watching the off-duty bank tellers tally the votes.

How can I join in!?!?

Omni,
Steady on lad, your upper lip has only recently recovered from its World Cup gnawing!!

And all this superstitious “putting the hex” on the other side. Well, it’s no better than stripping off and running around in circles buck naked whilst banging a gong.

I think it’s going to be a long wait. I don’t think I’ll know whether I’m drinking in celebration or sorrow until the official announcement.

If you are getting excited, then it bodes ill for the result

Hey, that official web site is starting to show the results - so far 95% for the Blues (whoops, quick edit here, the multiple exclamation points do NOT show excitement, they’re just there because I go overboard with these things)!!! But this is only the beginning.