The Prune Poll

Looks like the pruning proposition was passed and implemented. While I agree that the concept is good, the reality isn’t so hot, IMHO. Take a look at the first page of the “Kindergarten” thread, for example: segue.com.tw/3/viewtopic.php?p=10969#10969
It’s like listening to a radio play with all the parts done in the same voice. Maybe it will just take some getting used to.

[quote=“jeff”]Looks like the pruning proposition was passed and implemented. While I agree that the concept is good, the reality isn’t so hot, IMHO. Take a look at the first page of the “Kindergarten” thread, for example: segue.com.tw/3/viewtopic.php?p=10969#10969
It’s like listening to a radio play with all the parts done in the same voice. Maybe it will just take some getting used to.[/quote]

Sorry, that was like that when we moved from oriented.org to segue.com.tw. Look at any threads from that era, and you’ll find they look the same. It’s not related to the pruning issue.

Oh. Nevermind. :blush:

People, thank you for the feedback. I was hoping for some “disconfirming” views. Keep’em coming

I’ve taken another look at the Prune options. One of them is “those who registered but never posted” – this is over 800+ people!

Now, why would you register but never post? To see the Blue Sneetches? :smiley: Well, for some (most?) forums, you need to login to vote in the polls.

Can any “virgin” (non-posting) members post here or e-mail admin@segue.com.tw to let us know?

Just wondering why you want to prune at all?

Do the accounts take up disc space or something?

Also if someone was to read an old thread full of posts by people who’d been pruned, they’d get stuff like “Sunflower’s post is absolutely right”, “you should try the restaurant Calico reccommened. It’s fab.”. Or wouldn’t it work like that. I like the old names. It gives a sense of history.

Finally if you do settle on pruning if someone hasn’t logged in in the ;ast 3 months or whatever, would it be possible to automatically send a warning e-mail “if you don’t log on in the next week, your account will expire”?

Brian

[quote]I’ve taken another look at the Prune options. One of them is “those who registered but never posted” – this is over 800+ people!
[/quote]Yeah, kick em out too. They were probably disgruntled TEALIT’s and HO’s ( :wink: ) anyway.

[quote]Just wondering why you want to prune at all?
[/quote]Bri. I’m sure there are plenty of reasons, but one obvious one is there are people snooping around on about 5 different identidies. It’d be good if everyone knew how many ligit users there were.

I think posts should be left from pruned accounts, but will it be possible to search all posts by the pruned account? I like the ability to search posts by a certain user. Pruning inactive accounts with many posts is not a good idea because a previous active poster may come back one day. And we should welcome them to come back.

How about automatic emailing once a year to inactive accounts with this question: …your account has been inactive for over a year…please answer this survey to keep your account from being deleted…are you still visiting Segue?..are you using another alias…do you want to keep this account?.. Of course, if there is no reply then delete their account.

I agree with miltownkid. Good idea.

I just looked through the member list. It is amazing that many people have registered and made no posts. You would think that if someone went to the trouble of registering they would actually want to post something. Very strange.

Perhaps when people register they should be told that their profile will be deleted if they don’t make a post within one month.

I would be interested to know the statistics of how many members post regularly. How many post at least once a day? once a week? once a month?

[quote=“Oldtimer”]Hey, some of us do have offline lives; we get sick, have children, need to meet deadlines, go off on vacations in places that don’t have net access…

Why be so eager to get rid of people? Too many eyeballs?

:cry:[/quote]

Bingo. Being a sick child myself I can really relate to that comment. What’s the advantage in pruning anyway. Does it solve your traffic problems? Does it improve the content? How about some warning message notifying the Prune of his/her…its impending demise. At lest three before you sick the bone collector on them.

Chou

Gus, you make it hard on some of us ie those that rarely have anything to say about most of the post, i only reply to those that i want to,but i do read almost all post.
i vote for login time.