The psalms challenge/good start for your day

I enjoy the King James Version of the Bible immensely for the beauty of the language. Just from a professional writers perspective one ought to read the KJV on a very regular basis.

But beyond that it has become obvious to me, later in life, that the Bible and Judeo-Christian culture are somehow inexorably linked with a serious commitment to human rights.

First a bit of background. When I was in university and through my 30s I thought Judeo-Christianity was utter bullshit that had no redeeming value. At 47 I still have a very, very dim view of all (all!) organized religions. I share my fathers view that organized religion-be it Roman Catholicism, Aimee Semple McPherson or the Tibetan Buddhists moving and grooving through Taipei streets-are nothing more than ways to separate rubes from their hard earned dollars. (as a side note, my mom, when she was a kid in Orange County CA, actually met Aimee Semple McPherson and got blessed by her! Which is why my mom went on to have the two outstanding boy children, i.e. me and my brother, that she did).

Well, then I move to the Far East, Taiwan specifically, and work for about 5 years with Amnesty International here. And as part of that work with other AI branches in Asia. And the conclusion I came to is that if a county is going to have a serious and deeply rooted commitment to basic human rights then

Excellent views regarding the KJV and Judeo-Christian basis for human rights.
Side note: As a former OC resident (Surfside/HB) I met quite a few older folks who were involved in AS McPhersons antics. Quite interesting stories they had.

I have found a number of things also interesting as my knowledge of Biblical history has grown thru the years.

1. The fact that quite a few texts were discarded and refused for inclusion in the ‘final cut’ of the KJV.
  2. The added input those texts would have had.
  3. The differences in how translated terms have affected meanings in the KJV
  4. The actual historical accuracy of the KJV. Quite amazing.

And so forth.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”] I have found a number of things also interesting as my knowledge of Biblical history has grown through the years.

1. The fact that quite a few texts were discarded and refused for inclusion in the ‘final cut’ of the KJV.
  2. The added input those texts would have had.
  3. The differences in how translated terms have affected meanings in the KJV
  4. The actual historical accuracy of the KJV. Quite amazing. [/quote]

Difficult to reconcile this with the position that the Bible is the word of God however.

Its been years since I looked at them, but I always found The Gnostic Gospels interesting, if not enlightening.

[quote=“brianlkennedy”] … as part of that work with other AI branches in Asia. And the conclusion I came to is that if a county is going to have a serious and deeply rooted commitment to basic human rights then

That’s the Golden Rule (i.e., do unto others as you would have others do unto you…).

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that smart ass remark to be directed at you personally. I was just trying to be a troll and make Loretta angry.

I must resist tempation.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Being a Christian doesn’t mean being a wimp. A bad mistake to believe that.
[/quote]

If you think it is weak to be meek, try being meek for a week.

That must be from the New Testament. The New Rap Version.

I don’t think Human Rights belongs to the Judo-Christian traditions as much as it belongs to the Greeks and the Romans. The Romans developed the concept of “Natural Law” which they based on the philosophies of Greek intellectuals to help them develop laws for their colonization. They saw that there was a commonality between peoples that needed to be tapped to provide for successful colonization and dealings. The principle is based in the Greek concept that the mind is sovereign and that there is a natural law that over rides human laws. This idea was later adopted by the church as free will.

In the 18th century the ideas were revisited to come up with the concept of natural rights that eventually led to the ideas and philosophy behind human rights.

So it’s not Christian but it is occidental.

[quote]TainanCowboy wrote:
Being a Christian doesn’t mean being a wimp. A bad mistake to believe that.

If you think it is weak to be meek, try being meek for a week.
[/quote]

I thought the meek were going to inherit the earth. Obviously the silver backs will have dumped this place by then and moved on to heaven.

A while back helped out a friend by reading critically reading a report on the implications of copyright in relation to the bible.

Quite amazing that Gods word can be held as intellectual property.

I also watched a show a few days ago on satellite feed from ABC Australia on Jesus Christ and how the current archeological finds are forcing a reinterpretation of events in his life.

For example they found that Galilea was a good deal more cosmopolitan and much less a country backwater during his life based on the high quality homes they are exposing.