The Public Education Thread

PISA ratings: Strange how they miss one country.

1 Like

Ok smart guy. Prevent this. No magic wands. Your focus is on the guns, but what about my school? No guns, thank god. But daily fights, yearly stabbings and more weed than a dispensary. Abysmal pass rates, illiteracy, and administrative horseshit like CRT and inflating graduation rates.

Go ahead. I’m all ears.

Well, other than looking at EVERY OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY ON EARTH REGARDING GUN LAWS,
Provide all the students in America, from age 2.5 on up to 18, what they need to get through the school day:

1. nutritional food that tastes good
  2. courses that are relevant to their lives
  3. therapy
  4. an education that helps them learn how to actually navigate life (like “how to solve conflicts without punching people in the face so that both sides actually feel like they got a fair resolution” and personal finance classes)
  5. (if the school wasn’t a physical hellhole, students wouldn’t be retreating into the world of being high – they’d know they were in a safe space, by which I mean a place where they’re not likely to be violently attacked or see violent attacks, and they’d know they were going to learn things that were interesting and relevant, not some stupid waste of paper textbook nonsense that means nothing to them)

outside of school:

1. a safe place to return to every night. The same bed each night
  2. a nutritious dinner for the entire family
  3. adults that can actually take care of their children because they don’t have to work three jobs to afford to put food on the table.
  4. more therapy

Are you Mike?

You have given your wish list.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?526957-1/speaker-mccarthy-holds-news-conference-passage-parents-bill-rights

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) discusses legislation to give parents more oversight over their children’s K-12 school curriculum. The measure, which passed the House 213-208, now goes to the Senate where it’s not expected to get a vote.

Pretty partisan presser. Zero democrats voted for it. Woof. Let Biden veto that.

“In America, education is the great equalizer.”

Yup.

The kids need their meds or they cain’t learn! Jesus wept.

This will be the trend for awhile. Public schools are a GD mess.

1 Like

Did you read the article? It’s about a family that was raised in a Christian cult that decided to send their youngest to a public school.

Sure, but I was more thinking about why they got OUT to begin with, or never chose to get in:

At a time when home education was still a fringe phenomenon, the Bealls had grown up in the most powerful and ideologically committed faction of the modern home-schooling movement. That movement, led by deeply conservative Christians, saw home schooling as a way of life — a conscious rejection of contemporary ideas about biology, history, gender equality and the role of religion in American government.

Across the country, interest in home schooling has never been greater. The Bealls could see the surge in Virginia, where nearly 57,000 children were being home-schooled in the fall of 2022 — a 28 percent jump from three years earlier. The rise of home education, initially unleashed by parents’ frustrations with pandemic-related campus closures and remote learning, has endured as one of the lasting social transformations wrought by covid-19.

On the ground, I see the “rejection of contemporary ideas” picking up speed. The WaPo can hyper focus on one ultra Christian family who broke ranks and sent their kid to school, but I see more and more people, teachers as well, who are either thinking about removing their kids from public schools or going private.

Yeah but they’re obsessing over this obviously fringe example and conflating that issue with home schooling in general and related issues that go against their own culture war preferences.

2 Likes

Right, it’s not as though hundreds of Christian cultists are reversing course and bussing their kids to public school. It seems apparent that the opposite is happening.

1 Like

Not to mention the vast majority of Christian homeschoolers are certainly not the kind of lunatics described in the article. They must be overjoyed about this piece.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Unlike you, I don’t believe the US has a special hellhole culture which is full of degenerates compared to other advanced countries. I think they are pretty average, and would do okay if they got rid of guns and looked after students more. I don’t live there, so I will defer to your belief that they are evil spawn of Satan.

No, you most certainly do not so maybe shutting the hell up about it would might serve you well.

Like Canada? We can’t lecture on public school shortcomings.
‘Horrible History’: Mass Grave of Indigenous Children Reported in Canada - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Aw, if Mike were there, he’d care them all into prosperity and happiness. That’s really the issue, the kids aren’t getting good care at school, where they are fed, educated, seen, heard, spoken and listened to.

I’ve heard this as well, though as said

This is not to engage in “residential school denialism,” or to downplay the suffering endured by Indigenous people in the 139 mostly church-run and mostly Catholic institutions that were in operation from the 1820s to the 1990s. This is not to dispute the proposition that the residential school system’s policy amounted to cultural genocide, at least in its foundational years, or to disregard the brutal sexual, emotional and psychological abuse inflicted on the institutions’ inmates.

Yeah but that doesn’t change the reality that indigenous children were being tortured, raped, and murdered in those schools. Mass graves being discovered or not very much misses the point.

That’s what I said, but it’s still good to get the facts straight (whatever the case may be).