The Quran: First Impressions

I heard Christopher Hitchens make some dumbass argument that the 12 Caliphs were a plagiary of the 12 apostles of Catholicism. He made some lame attempt to link Islamic terrorism to Catholicism. Those New Atheists have contributed nothing to philosophy.

10 posts were split to a new topic: From Quran

:thinking:
Business idea. Imams hate him!

The basic duties of a Muslim:

Truly those who believe, perform righteous deeds, maintain the prayer, and give the alms shall have their reward with the Lord. No fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve.

Alms, mentioned here and in many other places, are obligatory and an integral dimension of Muslim devotional and social life.

Muslims believe in virgin birth.

When the angels said, “O Mary, truly God gives thee glad tidings of a Word from Him, whose name is Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, high honored in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought nigh. He will speak to people in the cradle and in maturity, and will be among the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how shall I have a child while no human being has touched me?” He said, “Thus does God create whatsoever He will.” When he decrees a thing, He only says to it, “Be!” and it is. 3:45-47

It’s an offshoot of Judaism and Christianity, whom they refer to as fellow people of the book. Moses is an Islamic prophet, so is Jesus.

1 Like

Your list should have five things, called the pillars

Yeah I think he knows that. He was a Muslim.

1 Like

Lol, do you think all Muslims acknowledge that their religion is the second son of the Jews? No, that it IS an offshoot they don’t know. Some might have a vague notion of some conspiracy to that regard.

What they KNOW, is that there is and only had ever been 1 religion, and that it is an offshoot of nothing. Can you guess which one it is :joy:

You don’t sound like you know much about Islam. That’s OK, I don’t either, that’s why I’m reading the Quran.

Wrong. 5 pillars, for example. Or Moses and Jesus as prophets. Or the people of the book. Which of these facts show that i dibt know much? I know much more than i can conveniently share here

I have the kind of knowledge that one gets from being a voracious lifelong reader, taking courses on comparative religion, and spening years living, eorking, and traveling in different parts of the Muslim world as a non-Muslim

How many years did you live in Saudi Arabia? Been to many other Muslim parts of the world?

Everyone learns that in middle school.

You forgot the rest of the post, Mr 2 Pillars. Anyways, you admitted you dont know much. Please try not to project your admitted ignorance onto the rest of us :wink:

The Five Pillars are mentioned in the Study Quran. I’m past that part. I don’t respond to every post by people who think knowing Moses and Jesus were Muslim prophets is impressive.

This isn’t correct either. There’s the afterlife and the Resurrection and the belief in Gospels as scripture as long as it doesn’t contradict the Quran.

Now you know!

This miracle isn’t recorded in the New Testament.

And He will teach him the Book, Wisdom, the Torah, and the Gospel. And [he will be] a messenger to the Children of Israel. "Truly I have brought you a sign from your Lord. I will create for you out of clay the shape of a bird. Then I will breathe into it, and it will be a bird by God’s Leave. 3:48

“The Book and Wisdom appear together in many verses of the Quran describing what was given to various prophets in many verse of the Quran describing what was given to various prophets. They are used in connection with Jesus…and with the children of Israel.”

Wisdom literature is a specific genre in the Ancient Near East that includes the Egyptian Wisdom of Amenope, and Proverbs and the Songs of Solomon. I propose the “Book and Wisdom” together means the “Writings” portion of the Hebrew Bible, Since “Book” and “Writings” are cognates.

Whoa some Muslims even believe in the Second Coming and paradisaical reign of Jesus.

And God is the best of plotters, when He said, "O Jesus, I shall take thee and raise thee unto Me, and purify thee of those who disbelieved, and place those who followed thee above those who disbelieved, until the Day of Resurrection. Then unto Me is your return, and I shall judge between you concerning that wherein you used to differ.

“Many commentators also mention the belief that Jesus will return before the end of time, fight the Dajjal (“Antichrist”), and rule according to the Law of Muhammad until the world comes to an end.”

For example, take polygamy. Huge part of Arab society, but the Quran limited it to four wives.

If you fear that you will not deal fairly with orphans, then marry such women as seem good to you, two, three, or four, but if you fear that you will not deal justly, then only one, or those whom your right hands possess. 4:3

Karen Armstrong said the society just pulled the religion back. It’s like how when the Japanese arrived here, they were surprised there were no local sports and dance. They established school baseball teams across the whole colony. After the Japanese left, they number of baseball schools dropped back down. But baseball is still the national sport.

My problem with the Quran’s version of Jesus is, why did he even come?

According to Islam Jesus preached Islam the whole time, and that he wasn’t actually crucified, but rather someone else was crucified in his place that looks like him. But according to the Bible the whole point of Jesus coming was to sacrifice himself to redeem mankind.

However according to Islam, which more or less agrees with the Bible about what Jesus did, right up until the crucifixion, says he just preached Islam and that his message was corrupted by Paul to make Jesus a god along with one other (I do not remember if Islam considers the holy spirit as the third of the trinity, or Mary).

Essentially Jesus is special yet according to Islam he is no different than Muhammad or other prophets.

But at the same time the Quran accuses Christians of sin because they associate partners with Allah (which is considered a grave sin in Islam).

If you take the NT as a whole, then yes, that is central. But in some of the Gospels, I don’t think it’s the main focus, until the end. Jesus is mostly healing people and teaching lessons, and he beat around the bush about his identity until later in his ministry, so he wouldn’t be killed. And Muslims only accept the Gospels, not Paul.

In the Gospel of Matthew just about every verse is a reminder that Jesus is the Messiah, and that’s something Muslims accept.

Paul didn’t see the mortal Jesus, but he wrote his letters before the Gospels were written.

I just happen to be on this verse.

Worship God, and ascribe not partners unto Him. And be virtuous toward parents and kinsfolk, toward orphans and the indigent, to the companion at your side and the traveler, and toward those whom your right hands possess. 4:36