The random toxic hazards thread

You know how plasticky “paper” receipts are bad for you?

In May, the foundation tested 28 samples of commercial thermal paper and found that one contained less than 10ppm of BPA, within the accepted range, while 23 contained 3,000ppm to 12,000ppm of BPS, it said.

Thermal paper is coated with chemicals to give it heat and water-resistant properties, and current technology is unable to separate the chemicals from the paper or recycle it, the Environmental Protection Administration’s Department of Waste Management has said.

The part I don’t get is, why not just use normal paper? Those old fashioned, real paper fapiaos look nice. The new ones on plastic paper are just crap.

Isnt the point that the thermal paper doesnt use ink? I have no idea which one is better than the other, interested if someone does. But “regular” paper with ink or that thermal stuff heated to make its mark.

On food. Labelling is a big problem here. Actually there are laws in place and thanks to the current government (Tsai Ying Wrn, DPP) there are a lot more food labelling laws and manufacturing laws (we are going through them this year with one of our companies).

An easy way to tell is check the ingredients list on your food. The most basic of badic new(er) rules is that if an ingredient isnt from Taiwan, it must mention the countey of origin directly after the ingredients name. If it doesnt, fail (illegal).

Astonishingly i have started noticing (cause the new gov regulations and lack of clarity is giving me a slow motion stroke) many labels will say the ingredients are from say India, China, USA etc and then the heading underneath for product of origin is taiwan. Its so blatent and illwgal you wonder…and these are not small companies selling in small shops.

Su said they were not sure where the drifting liquid crystals came from. Some screens might have been cracked or broken, he said. If a screen was left on for a long time, heat and radiation might cause liquid crystal to evaporate.