The Real Nexus of Terrorism

TERRORISM has many sources and claimed justifications, but if it can be said to have a centre, it lies in the training camps, madrassas and battlefields of northern Pakistan and south-eastern Afghanistan. There the Taliban and their ally, al-Qaeda, were both formed. From there, in hellish diaspora, jihadis have fanned out across the globe. . . [a]nd as for al-Qaeda, none of General Musharraf’s protestations can hide the fact that Osama bin Laden is generally reckoned to be holed up on Pakistani soil. . .

The danger is that Afghanistan may now, thanks to Pakistani meddling and Western neglect, gradually revert to what it was before September 2001: a state partly captured by the most dangerous Islamists. . .

An unstable, nuclear-armed Pakistan, intertwined with a chaotic and Taliban-dominated Afghanistan: it is not a settling prospect. It has all happened before, of course. The result was September 11th, swiftly followed by a terrorist outrage in Delhi that came close to provoking full-scale war between Pakistan and also-nuclear India. What will happen next time?"

I have always pointed to Pakistan as my one great fear. That is why we need to clear Syria and Iran off the plate to be able to devote 100 percent of our attention to this nation if (most likely when) it implodes. I figure we have less than five years.

I have always pointed to Pakistan as my one great fear. That is why we need to clear Syria and Iran off the plate to be able to devote 100 percent of our attention to this nation if (most likely when) it implodes. I figure we have less than five years.[/quote]

Whichever way gets the pipeline put in faster is fine by me.