The reason you wanna stay or live in Taiwan ? And

Hello all,

This question could be a common stuff that we’ve answered during our language course. I just wondering to know the answers from you guys.

Can drink beer in public (park, street)? … Family? …Friends?.. Job? … Nice life or people in Taiwan?..etc.

I’m a Taiwanese who live in Qu

批哩啪啦講一堆…
我都不知道我在說什麼 ~~~
:laughing: 我知道
If you can live in Canada ,then why your GF cant live in Taiwan. :unamused:
Before you ask her,別杞人憂天

Good luck!

P.S.Maybe Taiwan is not perfect but Taiwan is still the most alluring country for me.
:wink:

In how many countries have you lived?

What is it about Taiwan that you find so alluring?

Is your girlfriend likely to find those aspects alluring?

To be honest with you, although I like Taiwan well enough (been here for the better part of the last 20+ years), I really do not find Taiwan “alluring”.

Maybe you should see whether your girlfriend would be willing to visit Taiwan with you on a short vacation? See then how she feels about the idea of living here.

[quote=“lingq”]批哩啪啦講一堆…
我都不知道我在說什麼 ~~~
:laughing: 我知道
If you can live in Canada ,then why your GF can’t live in Taiwan. :unamused:
Before you ask her,別杞人憂天

Good luck!

P.S.Maybe Taiwan is not perfect but Taiwan is still the most alluring country for me.
:wink:[/quote]

I think that is stupid. He didn’t move to Canada for his girlfriend. Asking her to move to another country for him is pretty big. It is not the same thing. I am assuming he went to Canada for his own chosing.

[quote]He didn’t move to Canada for his girlfriend.
[/quote]

If she wants to stay in Qu

Tigerman’s suggestion of a short visit is wise.

If your relationship is more important to you than living in the country of your choice, then this really isn’t a problem, is it? By the same token, if this relationship is not “it” for you, then there really isn’t anything to worry about now, is there?

Good luck.

Suggest it to her and see what she thinks. If she’s a fairly adventurous young woman who’s not deeply immersed in an uninterruptible career in Canada, then it should quite appeal to her to flit off with you and get a taste of what it’s like to live in Taiwan. How she reacts to Taiwan will depend very much on her personality, and we have no idea what that is. If she finds herself hating it, can’t or won’t adjust, and it doesn’t grow on her after she’s given it a go for a few months, then she or both of you can head back to Canada or move on to somewhere else, and nothing will have have been lost, will it?

Yes, that’s allowed.

No, don’t drink them, at least not in public.

Hi SimonChang, nice nick by the way. I’m from Qu

Kick my footy for six :wink:

Well I want to spend time with my girlfriend who happens to be from TW so i see no reason why you wouldnt want to experience the same with yr partner my friend.

Let the shackles loose, and the boots hang high

All the best

moogercake

When I was visiting Taiwan, I really loved it.
When I moved to Taiwan, I really hated it.

So, personally, I don’t think it’s the same thing. Although, getting your girl to visit Taiwan first may persuade her move here, but to get her to stay here is a totally different ball game.
Good luck.

And I still don’t really like a lot of things about Taiwan. I can’t even say the good outweighs the bad. But, I have my reasons, mostly family ties.
Eventually though, maybe years later, I need to get out of here…hopefully, when I’m still sane. :runaway:

Hi Simon,

Your question regarding whether or not it’s a good idea to ask your GF to move to Taiwan with you is an interesting one.

There are lots of examples, here on Forumosa, of people who came to Taiwan in order to be with a Taiwanese boyfriend/girlfriend. Like yours these are relationships that started while the Taiwanese partner was living or studying abroad. So, what you have in mind is not too uncommon. And of course, there’s a certain amount of reverse traffic, too - several of my mates who have moved on from Taiwan have done so with their Taiwanese wives.

The key issue is whether or not your GF would feel moved (by her feelings for you) to pack in her job and her life in Canada, because you’ve become nostalgic for home and seem ready to end your career as an expat.

As you are no doubt keenly aware, asking someone to relocate to the other side of the world is no small thing. There are many factors to consider, the big ones being - what would she do in Taiwan? (She doesn’t speak mandarin - does she have skills and qualifications that will enable her to get meanigful and rewarding work in Taiwan?) Does her current job satisfy her, pay her well, and offer advancement potential? (A critical question for anyone with ambition because many jobs for foreigners in Taiwan do not hold out great prospects for career advancement, and many are not particularly well paying in an international context). Beyond her feelings for you - is there any indication that she wants or needs a radical change-of-venue in her life? You mention she is French, is her living in Canada part of an immigration strategy of her own? (If so she might not be able to leave Canada for protracted lengths of time until the process is done). Also, you’ll need to look at your relationship and ask yourself how serious it is, and whether or not you have long term plans with her in mind. (If not, why bother) Is your family ready to accept her - or are you thinking of bringing her into an uncomfortable and potentially even hostile situation vis-

Another quality mwalimu post.

Endorsed.

[quote=“mwalimu”]Hi Simon,
Best of luck.[/quote]

You know, Taiwan isn’t the most comfortable place for a white girl. You should ask yourself a few questions:

1. does she like people staring at her?
  2. does she like to talk to strangers?
  3. does she have a lot of patience for ignorant people?

If she answer to any of those three is no, then don’t bring her here.

I live in Taiwan quite simply because I love it here. Almost everything about Taiwan, in fact. Although, to be fair, the first few months I was really considering leaving and kinda hated it. Then somewhere during the first year of my stay I just fell in love with the place. I can’t say exactly why I do, as there are many many reasons why, but I just do. And yes, Taiwan isn’t perfect, but it stole my heart and I don’t really want to live anywhere else.

Your girlfriend, on the other hand, may just hate it. It differs from person to person. Give it a try. She can always go back to Canada (and you with her, if you so choose).

Best of luck.

This is pretty common for all of us here. You get used to it after about 15 years from the locals, but then it’s the the same thing with foreigners later on.

Can’t win either way :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“SuchAFob”]You know, Taiwan isn’t the most comfortable place for a white girl. You should ask yourself a few questions:

If she answer to any of those three is no, then don’t bring her here.[/quote]

I disagree. It’s extremely easy to be a white girl in Taiwan. It’s even easier to be a white girl with a blond baby. I never got an awfully lot of staring but whenever I needed something, they all ran to help me out.

God, I miss being special… :sunglasses:

But I have to admit, I too hated Taiwan when I first arrived. Being pregnant and having to put up with the heat and smells had a big part in it.

You’re still very special… :wink:

[quote=“SuchAFob”]You know, Taiwan isn’t the most comfortable place for a white girl. You should ask yourself a few questions:

If she answer to any of those three is no, then don’t bring her here.[/quote]

You get all of this as a white man as well. I’m sure the same applies to most other non-Asian ethnicities.

It may help to realize that after you get through phase two of culture shock (i.e. the phase where a lot of things related to living overseas are incredibly irritating), you are much better equipped to put this sort of stuff into perspective.

Ask any of the long-termers, and they’ll tell you that sure, it ain’t fun to be singled out visually or verbally, but it really isn’t a big deal.

We don’t know your girlfriend, so we don’t really know how well-equipped she is to get through the adjustments living in Taiwan forces upon a person.

At risk of sounding avuncular, I’d advise those who are having trouble with the above-mentioned facts of life that never change when you live in Taiwan and you don’t look Taiwanese, to take a good look at whether living in Taiwan is worth it for you, and if it is, hang in there. It will get better, not because of a change of environment, but because you’ll figure a lot of things out, and experience a great deal of personal growth in the process.