The regina bobalogues

It has become something of a commonplace on the expat social scene to comment on how dull, provincial and yet, at times, dangerously wild and unpredictable Canadians are. We are known to be grandiose, patronizing, and ignorant. It is a bad combination. Canadians are thought to be incredibly cheap as well. We Canadians don’t care all that much about any of this however and our lack of concern for all things micro-political stem perhaps from the vast expanses of free wheeling mayhem we enjoyed bundled onto the back of two ton palomino mares, along with a pack of similarly sunburn brats, and sent free on the prairie with no other goal than a skinny dip in a skinny river five miles away. Or maybe it was the four months of the year we spent with hockey skates on, or getting drunk for two weeks at a time on Indian reserves, or skiing avalanche shutes in a snow storm or whatever. Who gives a shit because we are C - A -N - A - D - I A - N ! and if they can’t dig it all we got to say about that is :upyours:

Why would you want to be around people who put down your country, bob? People hate what they fear, and you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions affect your beliefs. Who are these people to you anyway? Think about it.

Why hello 914. Nice to see you again.

Actually, that whole post was intended to be rather freely interpreted. A lot of the comments people make about Canadians, unfortunately, have some basis in fact. We do tend to be a bit dull, or manic, or dully manic or something. I can spot a Canadian and his eccentricities a mile off. But perhaps our particular Canadian brand of nuttiness might have something to do with the amount of space we enjoyed as children. If you really want to understand Canadians you should probably go canoing with one. That’s all I’m saying.

When someone starts bitching and moaning and whining about how Canadians are blah blah blah…even from the mouths of Canadians, it’s time to leave them to their own whinefest. I often wonder don’t people get tired of bitching about Canada and Canadians? If it bugs them so, don’t go to Canada. It’s not like telling me about how gawd awful Canada is is going to change it overnight.

I’m glad a lot of people dislike Canada and Canadians cuz there’s more space for me to roam around in, more oysters for me to slurrrp, and more eye candy for me to check out.

Or raw oyster-eating. I know which I’d prefer. :wink:

All these cocksuckers who are continually slagging off Canada can go fuck themselves.

If, you know, they don’t mind.
And as long as it’s OK with them…to do that, I mean, uh…otherwise, of course, they’re all welcome not to…
Sorry.

Delish satire there Chief.

:notworthy:

HG

People who talk about how awful Canada is probably haven’t been there. People who talk about how weird Canadians often are have a point. Maybe it’s the long winters or dumbos getting comfortably alcoholic on resource extraction jobs or whatever. Then again a lot of Canadians seem to be incredibly resourcefull. They can fix your car, build you a house, install a recording studio in their basement or teach you another language. It’s true everywhere else too but there are things about Canadians that are unique. Sometimes I meet Canadians and I think, ah, this is nice, somebody who knows, basically, how to relax and be sociable. Here’s somebody with a brain. Other times I meet Canadians and can’t believe how insular they are. Perhaps it has something to do with never living through any political crisis like Americans have or not having different cultures at your back door like the Brits have. Even the Aussies have lived with Asia knocking at their heels for decades…

I dunno, this is a bobologue afterall…

[quote=“the chief”]All these cocksuckers who are continually slagging off Canada can go fuck themselves.

If, you know, they don’t mind.
And as long as it’s OK with them…to do that, I mean, uh…otherwise, of course, they’re all welcome not to…
Sorry.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly. :laughing:

[color=red]W[/color][color=blue]W[/color][color=red]G[/color][color=blue]D[/color][color=red]?[/color][color=blue]?[/color][color=red]?[/color]

This whole Canada-bashing phenomenon is a total surprise to me. Is this a new trend or is it something regional?

Cuz in Europe we only know America-bashing.

Canadians get attention only when we wrongfully accuse them of being Americans and then end up apologizing profusely: [i]

[quote=“914”]Why would you want to be around people who put down your country, bob? People hate what they fear, and you shouldn’t let other people’s opinions affect your beliefs. [/quote]914 -
Do people actually hate Canadians?
I wasn’t aware of this. I didn’t think Canadians had actually done anything to anyone to arouse this magnitude of emotion.
Maybe fellow Canadians, angry over a hockey game or a heated curling match. maybe them.
But I can’t really see anyone else feeling this way.
Maybe its jus too nuanced to show up on my screen.

Oh, and by the way, Best of Luck to you in your next adventure! :bravo:

Actually tash I was just lookinq for a way to use the term “bobologue” which Imaniou so graciously shared with me the other night at Carnegies and that led somehow to “the regina bobologues” (probably by means of the brain’s tendency to store verbal information in rhythym files) and then since just that night there happened to be some rather good dialogue about just this very topic (how weird canadians are) it was of course little but two hops and a scotch past two billion or so redundant synapses to the regina/weird canadian connection. It is a convoluted and random approach to the art of internet posting that, like all paths with heart, leads, precisely nowhere.

Aaaaah! Now I know what went wrong! And it’s all MY fault! I’m sorry, next time I won’t leave you unattended around Bob for too long.

Canadians have a bad reputation here because there is a lot of them and the bulk of them are immature engrish teachers. It

I’m a kiwi, and I’d always believed great things about Canada and Canadians. But, to be honest I’d never met that many Canadians in my world travels until I came to Taiwan.
Here it seems every second foreigner is a Canadian. It seems like a very disproportionate amount, actually, and it is something that mystifies me. I really cant understand why people that have so many lifestyle choices going on come to a place like…Taiwan. Oh shit, I could say the same about leaving NZ :blush:

I have some great friends here that are Canadians now, and I have met a few losers here that happen to be Canadians - I guess it’s just like any country. I visited Canada for the first time a couple of months ago. Loved it. I’m heading BACK there next week…sheesh, the way things are going I’ll BE a Canadian before I know it.
I’m really not too sure if the country is prepared for that.

Indeed, the largest of the four bobs is rather a different kettle of fish altogether isn’t he? I don’t get it. If he doesn’t want freeloading Canadians showing up at his pub why have a HH and drink specials! :laughing:

Indeed, the larger of the two bobs is rather a different kettle of fish altogether isn’t he? I don’t get it. If he doesn’t want freeloading Canadians showing up at his pub why have a HH and drink specials! :laughing:[/quote]
It’s a hobby. Like foxhunting. You don’t really gain anything from it, but it’s fun to taunt the animal.

This thread tightens my scrotum…it’s all tingly tee hee

The oysters in Peng Hu have quite a reputation. Is that what you mean?