The 'religion sucks' thread [lightning rod]

But that entails quite some tacking, and weaving, does it not?

No (stripped).

So your volk are land lubbers, then?

Sure. Or ā€˜I donā€™t knowā€™.

Not much of an artist, or are youā€¦?

What would Ishmael do?
:ponder:

No, I am nothing of an artist. Iā€™m stupid and broken and nothing ever comes from that.

Whales, no?

Understood.
Though some might say they were are like that, in some semblance.
Those artists.
What should we do with, in a religious context?

Well, I thought it was not that many, more like some dull fins.

Prepare flankersā€¦
:woodstock:

But back to slagging religion:
Allah failed to make the rain make me miss my morning meeting yesterday.
Iā€™d already beseeched Jesus the day before, Jah was not to be found, and Satan just laughed and told me he told me.
So.

It is this kind of lack of response which is going to turn us all back unto the pagans.
And it is about time.
Enough with this silly monotheism.
Letā€™s get real and embrace natural gods.
Huzzah!

:scooby:

Are we bashing religions here? Ok, although I love the phenomenon of religion, I would say that the one religious manifestation I simply hate is ā€¦ Brian MacLaren and the Emergent Church trend. Ok, throw Rob Bell in there too.

I canā€™t stand those guys. They are not like all the other religious. They are basically saying ā€œwe are not as bad as Christians have been known to be, and we are not as dumb/anachronistic/backward as fundies are always sure to be, and we are not as nerdy and non-erotic as conservative Christians are sometimes known to be BUT ā€¦ all of the above-mentioned groups PLEASE, donā€™t get mad at us and reject us either!ā€

As one of a dying breed of liberal Christian, I too think religion sucks! Although I love my church and respect my pastor back home, and I do believe in God, although Iā€™m not so sure that the Christian cosmology of how the afterlife, holy spirit is laid out etc. is exactly right, I get sick of feeling like everyone thinks Iā€™m a terrible person because Iā€™m Christian. No, i donā€™t have a persecution complex! I know Christians tend to have it pretty good - getting their way, in the USA their God is on the money et al. - but that everyone who isnā€™t Christian tends to equate people like me with people like those fundies. I canā€™t stand 'em either, they give is all a bad name. :raspberry:

A religion sucks thread! Awesome,that almost worth giving thanks for lol

Just imagine how much better the world would be if no one had ever come up with the concept of god/gods.
Sure groups of people brought together by religion have been known to do good things but the bad done because of religion greatly outweighs this!

[quote=ā€œresā€]A religion sucks thread! Awesome,that almost worth giving thanks for lol

Just imagine how much better the world would be if no one had ever come up with the concept of god/gods.
Sure groups of people brought together by religion have been known to do good things but the bad done because of religion greatly outweighs this![/quote]

If religion didnā€™t exist, human kind would find other excuses to cause evil. Religion is not the problem, the problem lies with the human species ourselves.

[quote=ā€œfanglangzheā€][quote=ā€œresā€]A religion sucks thread! Awesome,that almost worth giving thanks for lol

Sure groups of people brought together by religion have been known to do good things but the bad done because of religion greatly outweighs this![/quote]

If religion didnā€™t exist, human kind would find other excuses to cause evil. Religion is not the problem, the problem lies with the human species ourselves.[/quote]

Thatā€™s very true, we would. Weā€™re tribalistic animals and weā€™ll always find ways to harm the out group. So it seems to me since weā€™re already predisposed for violence from an evolutionary perspective, the last thing we need is to invent imaginary Gods to fight about as well.

Whatā€™s wrong with reducing the number of idiotic things we fight over? Doing away with unnecessary imaginary sky people wouldnā€™t solve the worlds problems or do away with evil and violence, but it would be a reasonably good start I thinkā€¦

OK, so this is the venting thread? Vent this:

Close the fucking church down already or call it what it is, Church of the Holy Roman Child Rapists.

Shh, donā€™t upset the TR fansā€¦ :speak_no_evil:

I canā€™t defend organized religion at all. I can point out the comparably evil things atheists do, but all that shows is that people in general suck.

The secular humanists blame God for everything, when itā€™s obvious that human nature is to blame. You can maybe blame God for human nature, but then youā€™ve already ceded that secular humanismā€™s central tenet is bullshit.

Human nature is the point. If you impose celibacy on male humans a portion of them are gonna rape whatever they can get their dicks into when no oneā€™s looking, itā€™s the same in monasteries in Thailand. Compare mainstream Protestant churches with the Catholic church. Protestant priests can marry, can have girlfriends, so no child rape issue (OK Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some but not on this scale).

Seems to me the Catholic Church just needs to get rid of the celibacy rule for the priesthood and the child rape should go away.

Is that what happened to the Muslims in Rotherham?

On the other side of the coin, was Pol Pot celibate?

(I suppose Leopold and Loeb might have been incels, I dunno.)

Well yeah, shit goes on in the Muslim world thatā€™s 100% because the sexes are segregated.

Pol Pot was just pure evil. I donā€™t think people try to self-genocide out of sexual frustration.

Didnā€™t his inner circle arrange a marriage for him towards the end?

Nah, he married into Cambodian aristocracy early doors.