The "requirement" to buy property

If you plan on living in a house less than 4 yrs you should probably just rent because no matter what type of loan you get especially the 5/ARM(Common in Taiwan) or 30yr fixed the first 5 years are almost entirely interest you’re not building much equity. US Banks front end load interest to make money off customers who move within 5 yrs. If a mortgage is 2500 USD a month, almost 1800 is interest only 700 is principle in year one…add pay property tax and 3-6% buying and selling realtor fees (in US). Youre likely to lose a lot of money on this transaction unless your home appreciates A LOT in 5 yrs.

30 yr fixed is an awesome wealth building tool for the middle class. If you need to move under 5 yrs rent out your house. Depending on the city the rent should cover the mortgage, property tax and home insurance (In the US). This is what I do with my house in LA. I pay 0 and someone pays my mortgage/property tax/insurance and gain the 20% appreciation over 4 yrs and pays my mortgage for me, Which frees me to rent Taiwan since my job moved here.

Anyways my point is you can’t do this wealth building formula in Taiwan with homes and mortgages none of the numbers work out and the rates are adjustable which is seen as risky vs a 30 yr fixed because with ARM eventually your mortgage will have to increase, or your rental terms will change, or you will be forced to refinance with uncertain terms or you will have a balloon payment. None of these surprises happen with a 30 yr fixed loan. Interest rates may be low in Taiwan but you can’t lock it in for more than 5 yrs.

2 Likes