The Right to Self Determination

How about the right to elf determination?The Good Friday Agreement was a bum deal for leprechauns.

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle:

Fair comment but there is no reflection in reality there if you look at the policies of the ROI.

That is fantasialand.

The ones who wanted to annex NI were only ever a paramilitary minority and they stopped over 20 years ago

Brian Jones mouth foam besides the point, lol

And under the good Friday agreement, not to mention common sense, anyone who chooses is a part of the country, either or both, because it’s a load of nonsense that isn’t worth arguing over. :+1:

Voila le ROI:

Brian, King of the Leprechauns, from Disney’s Darby O’Gill and the Little People

2 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Correct :nerd_face:

1 Like

Seriously we need to close ranks on the leprechauns, because the internal squabbles of the hobbits are overshadowed by the dark riders

And by dark riders I mainly mean Canadians lol

2 Likes

There is also the good bum agreement which is kinda smelly but is much better than blowing people up. How do we stop that from happening. There has to be a way.

I recon there could be a wayz looking at you tube videos of Russian opinions they are all rational, need to find a way to eliminate psychosis from the system, that’s also Blair, bush and trump.

1 Like

What an interesting thread!
The Australian constitution describes the commonwealth as an “indissoluble union”.

Western Australia held a referendum in 1933 (only 32 years after federation) to leave the commonwealth and become an independent nation.

The monarch at the time rejected the referendum and they were not allowed to seperate. Changes to the constitution require a referendum involving all Australians.

To this day they still have separatist tendencies, their covid policies are a great example and throughout the last 2 years in many ways they have been independent.

2 Likes

Every country has sovereigntist/separatist groups, small and big I think.

And Australia gave Papua New Guinea its independence.

1 Like

Yeah and I think blowing people up over this kind of thing is a bit of a problem.

So the question, if I may be so bold to propose it, I genuinely believe, is how to stop violence

2 Likes

Yes negotiation , dialogue and a mutual understanding . Violence…Never the way to solve it.
What Russia is doing is a heinous crime against humanity right now.

5 Likes

It’s not Russia though, it’s Putin and his clique.

It’s a bit star wars but I think Putin’s rise is also a picture of the wests Dorian grey.

He wouldn’t have imagined it if it wasn’t already happening, perhaps

3 Likes

West Papuans, on the other hand, continue to suffer what has been called a “silent genocide” at the hands of the Indonesian military. Casualties since 1962 are estimated at between 100 thousand and half a million. One example among so many others: in 1998 on the island of Biak the Indonesian military butchered dozens of peacefully protesting men, women and children. Australian and US governments have consistently turned a blind eye to the torture, rape and murder.

West Papuans have never been given a fair say in their fate. Kennedy, keen to woo Indonesia away from Soviet support, obliged Indonesia by gifting it West Papua (Kennedy pressed the Netherlands to sign the New York Agreement with Indonesia that enabled - with the pretence of a plebiscite in 1969 with just over a 1000 hand-picked voters - West Papua’s incorporation into Indonesia). The New York Agreement, eh. Hope New Yorkers are proud of that association.

If you really want to know why so many Russians might misguidedly support Putin’s cruel war, reflect first on why so many Americans continue to admire a president like Kennedy (Reagan is another appalling example) in spite of his record of war crimes and terrorism (and in spite of a stupidity and a recklessness that brought the world to the brink of nuclear war). Are they deluded? Culpably ignorant? Indifferent about their own country’s crimes in far away places?

1 Like

No

Yah better than blowing up little kids in Manchester shopping malls.

1 Like

Exactly, and that’s the point really isn’t it

2 Likes

Was that influenced by example of US Civil War?

I don’t understand where this condescending reply comes from, given that I haven’t mentioned anything about West Papua, the US or Kennedy. If you don’t ask, how can you know my opinion if I even have one?

For the record, I support West Papuan independence.

The Indonesian government acted like thugs there and (before it was taken away from them) in East Timor.

Guy

1 Like

Good question, I’m not really sure. I think it was likely to make NZ and WA take the decision seriously and not leave right after joining, but that’s just my 2 cents. I don’t have anything to back that up.

I do know that the Australian senate was influence by the US senate and the independent governence of the states (in some ways Australian states have more independence than US states) was also influence by the US.

PNG was never part of the union so it is a different case. PNG was administered by Australia at the request of the UN or UK or League of Nations (correct me if I’m wrong).

So in a constitutional sense it wasn’t 'indissoluble" as it was never constitutionally part of the commonwealth. If it was admitted as a state then it would be different.

1 Like